or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thigh problem: Bone Spurs

post #1 of 6
On Aug 1, 4:28 pm, Jack <jackh...@aol.com> wrote:
> My thighs go dead, tighten up and hurt after a few miles and
> afterwards. The doc says I have bone spurs above my knee that rubs
> against them. But, he doesn't know what to do about them except
> surgery which he doesn't recommend. Any ideas?
>
> Jack

A bone spur should show up on an X-ray so I presume the doctor knows
what he's looking at. He doesn't advise surgery, so he's probably not
a surgeon himself. A bone spur often means there is stress or rubbing
in the area. You don't provide any running background to evaluate
whether this is a chronic overuse problem or not. When it comes to
surgery, when it doubt, don't. Nothing is worse than having surgery
and no improvement or worse.
Run less. Cross train. Continue to work with the problem. Many things
resolve with time. Even bone growth, like heel spurs, can reduce over
time when the stress is removed.
post #2 of 6

Re: Thigh problem: Bone Spurs

On Aug 1, 4:28 pm, Jack <jackh...@aol.com> wrote:
> My thighs go dead, tighten up and hurt after a few miles and
> afterwards. The doc says I have bone spurs above my knee that rubs
> against them. But, he doesn't know what to do about them except
> surgery which he doesn't recommend. Any ideas?
>
> Jack

Get out a belt sander, and grind that sucker off yourself, and stop
bitchin'.
post #3 of 6

Re: Thigh problem: Bone Spurs

AIricKnebel@aol.com wrote:

> On Aug 1, 4:28 pm, Jack <jackh...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>My thighs go dead, tighten up and hurt after a few miles and
>>afterwards. The doc says I have bone spurs above my knee that rubs
>>against them. But, he doesn't know what to do about them except
>>surgery which he doesn't recommend. Any ideas?
>>
>>Jack

> Get out a belt sander, and grind that sucker off yourself, and stop
> bitchin'.

Hey, what happened to the ten posts for each one I give you, my little
monkey?

--
_________________
Alric Knebel

http://www.ironeyefortress.com/C-SPAN_loon.html
http://www.ironeyefortress.com
post #4 of 6

Re: Thigh problem: Bone Spurs

"Jack" <jackhat1@aol.com> wrote

> My doc is an orthopedic surgeon. He says to fix it they would have to
> cut the tendon, burnish down the bone spur and reattach the tendon.

Any reason why this couldn't be done laproscopically?
post #5 of 6

Re: Thigh problem: Bone Spurs

On Aug 2, 8:06 am, Jack <jackh...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Aug 1, 5:12?pm, Al Bundy <MSfort...@mcpmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 1, 4:28 pm, Jack <jackh...@aol.com> wrote:

> > > My thighs go dead, tighten up and hurt after a few miles and
> > > afterwards. The doc says I have bone spurs above my knee that rubs
> > > against them. But, he doesn't know what to do about them except
> > > surgery which he doesn't recommend. Any ideas?

> > > Jack

> > A bone spur should show up on an X-ray so I presume the doctor knows
> > what he's looking at. He doesn't advise surgery, so he's probably not
> > a surgeon himself. A bone spur often means there is stress or rubbing
> > in the area. You don't provide any running background to evaluate
> > whether this is a chronic overuse problem or not. When it comes to
> > surgery, when it doubt, don't. Nothing is worse than having surgery
> > and no improvement or worse.
> > Run less. Cross train. Continue to work with the problem. Many things
> > resolve with time. Even bone growth, like heel spurs, can reduce over
> > time when the stress is removed.

> ====
> My doc is an orthopedic surgeon. He says to fix it they would have to
> cut the tendon, burnish down the bone spur and reattach the tendon.
> Recovery would be 6-9 months. He doesn't recommend this. Yes, the X-
> rays show the spurs. The doc says he sees the spurs in people who have
> been very active for most of their lives. (I am 64.) Laying off
> exercise doesn't seem to help. I have had this for over a year.
>
> Thanks for the comments.
>
> Jack

Just a side note of encouragement Jack. A local runner, John Kolmetz,
broke a hip jumping over a tennis net in July and ran the Detroit
Marathon in October. He was 78 at the time. My friend had bunion
surgery on both feet and was running in two months. Doctors often
under estimate how long the recovery will take in active people
because they are so used to dealing with sedentary types. I would be
concerned that the bone spur would return after the surgery. I'd have
to have experienced testimony that it would not or I would never go
for it in the first place. Again, when in doubt, don't.
post #6 of 6

Re: Thigh problem: Bone Spurs

"Al Bundy" <MSfortune@mcpmail.com> wrote in message

> Just a side note of encouragement Jack. A local runner, John Kolmetz,
> broke a hip jumping over a tennis net in July and ran the Detroit
> Marathon in October. He was 78 at the time. My friend had bunion
> surgery on both feet and was running in two months. Doctors often
> under estimate how long the recovery will take in active people
> because they are so used to dealing with sedentary types.

Probably true but you know if they suggest to runners some possible
shorter recovery time the type A will kick in and open themselves to
malpractice if they do damage. Will still live in a sue everyone's ass
off for some of the craziest ****. I feel bad for the old lady that
burned herself with coffee, but maybe if she didn't spill it in a state
of klutz.... I waiting for someone to sue the knife manufacturer
because someone cuts their finger off.

> I would be
> concerned that the bone spur would return after the surgery. I'd have
> to have experienced testimony that it would not or I would never go
> for it in the first place. Again, when in doubt, don't.

Spurs for the most part can be handled with the proper orthotics. IMO,
I would try almost anything before letting them operate.

-Doug
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Fitness