or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Cycling Equipment › Anything special about Campy shift cables?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anything special about Campy shift cables?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I'm new to the Campy world, having purchased a set of Veloce
brifters. (I'm attempting to shift a 9-sp triple Shimano drivetrain
with a Campy racing triple fder and Shiftmate equipped Shimano rder).

The LBS told me to be sure to use the 4.5 mm Campy shifter cable
housings. Something about the pre-installed ferrule fits in the
shifter with no slop (something like that). So I have the Campy cable
kit.

For future reference, I was wondering about the shifter cables. They
look the same as Shimano and Aztec cables that I have on the shelf.
Will these work well if substituted?

TIA,
Tom
post #2 of 7

Re: Anything special about Campy shift cables?

On 2007-10-01, treynolds@my-deja.com <thomas.treynolds@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to the Campy world, having purchased a set of Veloce
> brifters. (I'm attempting to shift a 9-sp triple Shimano drivetrain
> with a Campy racing triple fder and Shiftmate equipped Shimano rder).
>
> The LBS told me to be sure to use the 4.5 mm Campy shifter cable
> housings. Something about the pre-installed ferrule fits in the
> shifter with no slop (something like that). So I have the Campy cable
> kit.
>
> For future reference, I was wondering about the shifter cables. They
> look the same as Shimano and Aztec cables that I have on the shelf.
> Will these work well if substituted?


I don't know about the outers, but a Campag inner gear cable is 1.2mm,
same as a Shimano one, but has a much smaller ferrule. However every
time I need a new cable none of the useless LBSs ever have anything
except Shimano ones so I just file down the ferrule until it fits and
that seems to be OK.

According to one LBS the bigger ferrule is OK in later brifters anyway.
I don't know if that's true or not.

But get Campag ones mail-order if you have time.
post #3 of 7

Re: Anything special about Campy shift cables?

On 2007-10-01, A Muzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>> treynolds@my-deja.com <thomas.treynolds@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm new to the Campy world, having purchased a set of Veloce
>>> brifters. (I'm attempting to shift a 9-sp triple Shimano drivetrain
>>> with a Campy racing triple fder and Shiftmate equipped Shimano rder).
>>> The LBS told me to be sure to use the 4.5 mm Campy shifter cable
>>> housings. Something about the pre-installed ferrule fits in the
>>> shifter with no slop (something like that). So I have the Campy cable
>>> kit.
>>> For future reference, I was wondering about the shifter cables. They
>>> look the same as Shimano and Aztec cables that I have on the shelf.
>>> Will these work well if substituted?

>
> Ben C wrote:
>> I don't know about the outers, but a Campag inner gear cable is 1.2mm,
>> same as a Shimano one, but has a much smaller ferrule. However every
>> time I need a new cable none of the useless LBSs ever have anything
>> except Shimano ones so I just file down the ferrule until it fits and
>> that seems to be OK.
>> According to one LBS the bigger ferrule is OK in later brifters anyway.
>> I don't know if that's true or not.
>> But get Campag ones mail-order if you have time.

>
> Semantic moment:
> Shimano wire heads are larger; Ergo gear wire heads are smaller.


Thanks for the clarification. I was mistakenly referring to the wire
head as the "ferrule".

> Ferrules cap the end of the casing and/or adapt it to various fittings.
> Plastic ferrules are generally trouble, Camagnolo's are metal which may
> be why your source suggested them. (OT: 'ferrule' is a Latin cognate,
> 'little carrier')


I thought I should have known that so looked it up in a dictionary. I
don't think it's anything to do with 'ferre' (carry), but they say is
related to a different word 'viriola' (bracelet). Apparently also
"influenced" by the word 'ferrum' meaning iron.

Anyway it was because of my misunderstanding that I thought the OP's
source must be talking about where the wire-head fits into the brifter.
I see now that the ferrule is actually on the outer.
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 

Re: Anything special about Campy shift cables?

On Oct 1, 3:13 pm, Ben C <spams...@spam.eggs> wrote:
> On 2007-10-01, A Muzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> > Ben C wrote:
> >> I don't know about the outers, but a Campag inner gear cable is 1.2mm,
> >> same as a Shimano one, but has a much smaller ferrule. However every
> >> time I need a new cable none of the useless LBSs ever have anything
> >> except Shimano ones so I just file down the ferrule until it fits and
> >> that seems to be OK.
> >> According to one LBS the bigger ferrule is OK in later brifters anyway.
> >> I don't know if that's true or not.
> >> But get Campag ones mail-order if you have time.

>
> > Semantic moment:
> > Shimano wire heads are larger; Ergo gear wire heads are smaller.

>
> Thanks for the clarification. I was mistakenly referring to the wire
> head as the "ferrule".
>
> Anyway it was because of my misunderstanding that I thought the OP's
> source must be talking about where the wire-head fits into the brifter.
> I see now that the ferrule is actually on the outer.-


I'm the OP. The LBS was talking about the cable housing ("casing" in
Campy terms) fitting into the brifter.

If I understand you correctly, you were talking about the small
cylinder at the head of the shifter cables (not the housing).

So you're saying that the Shimano's don't fit unless you file the
small cylinder down a bit?
post #5 of 7

Re: Anything special about Campy shift cables?

> So you're saying that the Shimano's don't fit unless you file the
> small cylinder down a bit?


In my past experience, they will goin it but they will be really hard to
get back out. I've had to resort to drilling some of them out on a bike I
bought. They seem to be small enough to force in but are too big to remove
easily.
Lyle
post #6 of 7

Re: Anything special about Campy shift cables?

On 2007-10-01, treynolds@my-deja.com <thomas.treynolds@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 1, 3:13 pm, Ben C <spams...@spam.eggs> wrote:

[...]
>> Anyway it was because of my misunderstanding that I thought the OP's
>> source must be talking about where the wire-head fits into the brifter.
>> I see now that the ferrule is actually on the outer.-

>
> I'm the OP. The LBS was talking about the cable housing ("casing" in
> Campy terms) fitting into the brifter.
>
> If I understand you correctly, you were talking about the small
> cylinder at the head of the shifter cables (not the housing).
>
> So you're saying that the Shimano's don't fit unless you file the
> small cylinder down a bit?


That was what I have found, yes.
post #7 of 7

Re: Anything special about Campy shift cables?

On Oct 1, 12:13 pm, "treyno...@my-deja.com"
<thomas.treyno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to the Campy world, having purchased a set of Veloce
> brifters. (I'm attempting to shift a 9-sp triple Shimano drivetrain
> with a Campy racing triple fder and Shiftmate equipped Shimano rder).
>
> The LBS told me to be sure to use the 4.5 mm Campy shifter cable
> housings. Something about the pre-installed ferrule fits in the
> shifter with no slop (something like that). So I have the Campy cable
> kit.


Poppycock. Any 5mm ferrules(for shifter ONLY) fits into the shifter
and I get rid of the 4.5mm stuff asap..using lined 5mm instead, with a
good, small end inner wire..we use jagwire for Campagnolo, very nice
and not expensive.
>
> For future reference, I was wondering about the shifter cables. They
> look the same as Shimano and Aztec cables that I have on the shelf.
> Will these work well if substituted?


shimano type have a larger end and should NOT be used. Campaf type
work fine with shimano/Sram, BTW-
>
> TIA,
> Tom
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Equipment
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Cycling Equipment › Anything special about Campy shift cables?