Fell off

Alan

Guest
I bought a new bike and fitted SPD pedals last July. It took some time to get used to them and I now
consider myself quite professional at clipping out when I stop.However today on my way home I came
across a newly laid road surface and could feel the heat off it. The tar was sticking to my tyres.
At the lights at the crest of a hill my mind must have wandered. I forgot I was clipped in and just
stopped dead. Before I could think of clipping out the bike and myself were toppling to the left. I
saw a traffic bollard in reach and threw out my left hand to support myself. unfortunately they are
collapsable now and it only allowed me to slow down the rate of descent.

I landed on my knee and elbow. Once landed I quickly unclipped, got up and pedalled off. No-one
seemed bothered from the line of cars.

Luckily no damage or injury but when I got home I found that my pannier clip (the bottom one) was
missing. I hopped straight in my car and returned to the scene. Guess what? There was my clip still
intact just behind the bollard.

So lesson learned - - don't switch off when you stop!!

Alan

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:05:50 -0000, "Alan"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>So lesson learned - - don't switch off when you stop!!

Actually, probably the opposite - don't mess with sub-conscious actions.

Regards! Stephen

Alan wrote:
> I bought a new bike and fitted SPD pedals last July. It took some time to get used to them and I
> now consider myself quite professional at clipping out when I stop.However today on my way home I
> came across a newly laid road surface and could feel the heat off it. The tar was sticking to my
> tyres. At the lights at the crest of a hill my mind must have wandered. I forgot I was clipped in
> and just stopped dead. Before I could think of clipping out the bike and myself were toppling to
> the left. I saw a traffic bollard in reach and threw out my left hand to support myself.
> unfortunately they are collapsable now and it only allowed me to slow down the rate of descent.

Now that is funny! :-D ...Nearly done that sort of thing myself when trying to hang on to floppy
plastic barriers at junctions for the sake of a super-fast getaway after the lights change.

Glad no damage was done,

~PB

> I forgot I was clipped in and just stopped dead. Before I could think of clipping out the bike and
> myself were toppling to the left.
>
> No-one seemed bothered from the line of cars.

Bet they were well amused tho.

--
Lordy