Purchasing Race Wheels: new or used?

David Matusow

Guest
Hi,

I am considering getting a pair of race wheels, and have pretty much decided on exactly what I want.
The question is: should I go for new ones (about $1000) or look for a used pair? Several people have
warned me that if I get a used pair, and I have a problem, that the expense to fix them will end up
costing me (along with the used price) more than a new pair would have to begin with. So, is it
worth the risk or just better to bit the bullet and get a new pair?

Thoughts?

Thanks, --David

--
David Matusow NASA / GSFC Email -> [email protected]

Say, your address indicates NASA, so give us the scoop....... new wheels for the Mars rover?

Either way, I'd suggest new wheels.

joel

David Matusow wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am considering getting a pair of race wheels, and have pretty much decided on exactly what I
>want. The question is: should I go for new ones (about $1000) or look for a used pair? Several
>people have warned me that if I get a used pair, and I have a problem, that the expense to fix them
>will end up costing me (along with the used price) more than a new pair would have to begin with.
>So, is it worth the risk or just better to bit the bullet and get a new pair?
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Thanks, --David

I have bought three pairs of race wheels on the rbr newsgroup (two had Dura-ace hubs and Mavic Open
Pro rims and one was Velocity Rims w/fancy aftermarket hubs). I paid an average of about $125/per
pair for these wheelsets (new price would be ~$400). All three were 'near new' condition. All three
have served me well and held up perfectly. So, great bargains in all cases. Of course, there is
always a risk when buying sight unseen, and I vetted each seller via e-mail. It is always best to
see the wheels first, so I would first recommend a Wheels Wanted local ad first. There are so many
racers willing to trade in their perfectly good wheels, with the dream of buying the latest greatest
lightest fastest over-hyped wheels.

Steve Scarich

Just my two cents but I have as of yet to have an internet wheel deal go wrong (knock on wood). And
for the record my wheel fetish is as follows (none were bought new) Rolf Vector comps, Mavic
Ksyrium, Spinergy Spox and RevX, a 650c Falcon disk (that is for sale if anyone is interested), one
very nice Renn disk wheel (that is never going to be for sale), and the piece de resistance..my new
Zipp 404s (2003 version..so very sweet). Have also gone through (and either sold or traded) a pair
of Hed J2s, another pair of Spinergy Spox, a set of Rigida DP18, a pair of Specialized trispokes,
and a set of Mavic 3Gs (that I wish I had kept now..sigh). Pretty sure, if memory serves me
correctly, that not one of these wheels gave me a lick of trouble (maybe I was just blessed) and all
of them came through the internet in one way shape or form. I found it's knowing exactly what you
want and the best places to go about finding them that is the trick. Yes a new set of wheels will
come with a warranty but in some cases it will come with a hefty price tag (got my Zipps for an
obscenely low price and they came fully equipped...including the ti skewers...and in mint
condition). To some degree it becomes a question of how heavy you are and how hard you are on
equipment. If you're a clydesdale, you ride on rough road, or you toss your bike on the rack in
transition maybe going with new is not such a bad idea. Either way a big buck pair of wheels is hard
to beat for a sweet ride. Best of luck to you. cheers Kent

Depends on the source. I have a cyclist friend who was selling his whom I've known for some time. He
made me a good deal and I've been extremely pleased.

BBB

news:[email protected]...