BALL/HEEL/BALL Is the Correct Way To Run (1997)

Ozzie Gontang

Guest
Some of the thinking and perspectives that reinforced my view on landing midfoot or ball/heel.

Ozzie

BALL/HEEL/BALL Is the Correct Way To Run Austin "Ozzie" Gontang, Ph.D.

Man the running animal at even slow running speed is meant to run Ball/Heel/Ball!!!!! Heel running
is based on a faulty premise and if not faulty, then it is a faulty translation by those runners who
hear it and implement it...as they land on the back of the heel of the shoe...which is way behind
the actual heel of the foot. Run bare foot to see what I mean.

Either start thinking for yourself about running injury free...or minimal injuries...or injury
prevention...and look at the way you land on your feet...and look at the fact that almost all
running shoes worn by the mass of runners have very thick heels and soles and don't let you feel
where you land or how hard you land.

Please help me understand why very few people are willing to say that the majority of runners should
be landing ball/heel...as the three authors below hold.

From: Applied Kinesiology by Clayne Jensen & Gordon Schultz 1977 McGraw Hill p. 290-291

Running mechanics vary from one person to another, and they vary in the same person running at
different speeds.

At a slow running speed, complete foot contact is used. The foot-surface contact with each stride
goes from the ball of the foot to the heel and back to the ball (restful to calf muscles). As
running rate increases, the amount of foot contact becomes less, until finally at full speed only
the forward part of the foot contacts the surface. The sprinter "runs on the toes." (Oz's view:
Actually it is the front of the ball of the foot just behind the toes)

Strength, Power and Muscular Endurance for Runners & Hurdlers by John Jesse 1971, Athletic Press.

p. 56 As to long-distance events, most authorities are of the opinion that the mechanical details
are not important if the overall running action is efficient and relaxed with emphasis being
placed on eliminating all bodily movements that will expend energy unnecessarily. However, the
same authorities appear to be in agreement as to certain characteristics of style that lead to an
optimum performance with economy of effort: (a) shorter stride, (b) lower knee lift, (c) ball-heel-ball-
toe action of the foot, (d) lower and more relaxed arm swing, (e) high kick up in the back
providing it is natural, relaxed movement, (f) general overall relaxed manner.

Ten Tips on Running Form" appeared in Run Fast by Hal Higdon, © 1992 by Hal Higdon Communications,
all rights reserved.

TEN TIPS ON RUNNING FORM

FRED WILT WAS A DISTANCE RUNNER on the 1948 and 1952 U.S. Olympic teams and became famous for
his legendary indoor mile encounters at that time with Wisconsin's Don Gehrmann. After retiring
from the FBI, Wilt coached the women's running teams at Purdue University. He edited the
publication Track Technique and advised various athletes, including 1964 Olympian Buddy Edelen,
who once held the world marathon record of 2:14:28. Wilt's tips on running form follow:

1. Running form is a completely individual issue. Each athlete differs from every other at
least to a minute extent in height, weight, bone structure, length and size of muscles,
point of muscle origin and insertion, strength, flexibility, posture and personality, in
addition to numerous other features. Therefore, no two runners should ever use identical
form, even though they all adhere to basic mechanical principles.

2. It is a form error of the highest magnitude to run without permitting the heel to touch and
rest on the ground with each stride, without reservation, in a ball-heel grounding action.
This is true at all running speeds, especially sprinting.

3. It is physically possible to land heel-first in running, but this is quite incorrect and
almost never seen, since it jars the body excessively and can be done only at very slow
running speeds. Landing heel-first and "toe running" (refusing to permit the heels to
ground) are both incorrect.

4. Ideally, the position of the feet in running is one in which the inner borders fall
approximately along a straight line. Athletes should run in a straight line, but not
necessarily on such a line. When one foot is placed directly in front of the other, lateral
(sideways) balance is impaired.

5. Runners in races longer than sprint distance wherein economy of energy is the paramount
consideration should use a natural stride: not exaggerated, not long, not short, but of a
length in keeping with maximum economy of effort for the running speed required.

6. Both understriding and overstriding are faults. Each runner has his own optimum stride
length at any given speed, depending upon leg length, muscular strength and flexibility.

7. At uniform top speed with zero acceleration, if the athlete was running in a vacuum with no
wind resistance, there would be no body lean at all.

8. The hands should be carried in a relaxed, cupped position at all running speeds. They
should never be rigidly clenched in a fist while running, since this produces tension,
which causes unnecessary fatigue.

9. The head should be aligned naturally with the trunk, and the eyes should be focused a few
meters ahead while running.

10. Usually the best solution to apparent form problems is many repetitions of running short
distances, such as 100 meters, at a fast, though not exhausting pace.

"Ten Tips on Running Form" appeared in Run Fast by Hal Higdon, Copyright © 1992 by Hal
Higdon Communications, all rights reserved. Autographed copies of this book are available
for $16.50 (includes shipping and handling) from Roadrunner Press, P.O. Box 1034, Michigan
City, IN 46361-1034.

Here's a reference book for your running library that you will use for years to come. If you want to
purchase a copy of one of the books which I still use as a guide to answering questions and
understanding running problems, send $15 which covers the price of the book and shipping/handling.

The book is: Hidden Causes of Injury, Prevention And Correction, for Running Athletes and Joggers by
John Jesse, 1977.

Make out the $15 check or money order to: IAM or Int'l Assoc. of Marathoners
c/o Ozzie Gontang 2903 29th Street San Diego, CA 92104

Excerpt from the Intro:

"Three of the four hidden factors (of injury) - muscular imbalance, postural faults, and foot faults
- are so common among the general population that it is doubtful whether any young athlete enters
the field of athletic competition without being affected to a lesser or greater degree by one or
more of them.

The writer (John Jesse) believes a more detailed and complete discussion of these factors and of the
methods of correcting them or preventing their further development will enable the coach, trainer,
and athlete jto cope with them early in the young athlete's career. It will enable the athlete to
reduce to a minimum the number of roadblocks and setbacks he(she) suffers during training and in
pursuit of his(her) goals.

The information presented here should be of great value to the several million physical fitness
joggers and runners in the population, because the book is aimed at providing understandable answers
to all injuries that interrupt their progress toward attainment of an increased level of
cardiovascular fitness, or that interfere with the psychological satisfactions obtained from
engaging in such activities.

The human bodyh supports itself against gravity, segment upon segment, relying on the muscles and
ligaments that cross the joints, along with postural reflexes, to maintain an erect position and
proper body alignment. Hence, there has to be a total or "holistic" approach to prevention and to
correction of the hidden factors mentioned above. The reader must integrate his/her thinking to a
total body concept."

John Jesse was a team mate at USC with Payton Jordon who was the US Olympic head track and field
coach in 1968. John wrote this book for you and me, so that we could understand through popular
language, and with scientific and technical language kept to a minimum but using diagrams,
illustrations or short glossaries so we the laymen could understand should we want to delve deeper.

Some thoughts of Miles Lakin and my response.

Oz

First compile of info building basis for Ball/Heel as correct way of running for running at any
speed. Ozzie

Let the Thread begin on Ball/Heel as the corrrect way of running.

From: Applied Kinesiology by Clayne Jensen & Gordon Schultz 1977 McGraw Hill

p. 290-291

Running mechanics vary from one person to another, and they vary in the same person running at
different speeds.

At a slow running speed, complete foot contact is used. The foot-surface contact with each stride
goes from the ball of the foot to the heel and back to the ball (restful to calf muscles). As
running rate increases, the amount of foot contact becomes less, until finally at full speed only
the forward part of the foot contacts the surface. The sprinter "runs on the toes." (Oz's view:
Actually it is the front of the ball of the foot just behind the toes)

Strength, Power and Muscular Endurance for Runners & Hurdlers by John Jesse 1971, Athletic Press.

q. 56 As to long-distance events, most authorities are of the opinion that the mechanical details
[...]

wind resistance, there would be no body lean at all. (Ozzie: I disagree with this. Use the
analogy of the broom handle balanced in the hand moving/falling/unbalanced at a uniform
speed because of the angle of lean and the person moving at the same speed to maintain the
angle of lean as constant)

8. The hands should be carried in a relaxed, cupped position at all running speeds. They
should never be rigidly clenched in a fist while running, since this produces tension,
which causes unnecessary fatigue.

9. The head should be aligned naturally with the trunk, and the eyes should be focused a few
meters ahead while running. (Ozzie, Again I disagree. Eyes at infinity. Peripheral vision
can see 2 or 3 feet in front without looking down. Reason: The head follows the eyes. Why
the horse rider keeps the horse's head up- if it stumbles it's less likely to fall if the
head is up and balanced)

10. Usually the best solution to apparent form problems is many repetitions of running short
distances, such as 100 meters, at a fast, though not exhausting pace. (Ozzie: Again I would
add that running slowly in good form may be better for entraining proper movement. I took
up Tai Chi: moving slower to run faster in sycn.

"Ten Tips on Running Form" appeared in Run Fast by Hal Higdon, Copyright © 1992 by Hal
Higdon Communications, all rights reserved. Autographed copies of this book are available
for $16.50 (includes shipping and handling) from Roadrunner Press, P.O. Box 1034, Michigan
City, IN 46361-1034.

Here's a reference book for your running library that you will use for years to come. If you want to
purchase a copy of one of the books which I still use as a guide to answering questions and
understanding running problems, send $15 at the address below.The $15 covers the price of the book
and shipping/handling.

The book is: Hidden Causes of Injury, Prevention And Correction, for Running Athletes and Joggers by
John Jesse, 1977.

Make out the $15 check or money order to: IAM or Int'l Assoc. of Marathoners Attn: Ozzie Gontang
[...]

The human body supports itself against gravity, segment upon segment, relying on the muscles and
ligaments that cross the joints, along with postural reflexes, to maintain an erect position and
proper body alignment. Hence, there has to be a total or "holistic" approach to prevention and to
correction of the hidden factors mentioned above. The reader must integrate his/her thinking to a
total body concept."

John Jesse was a team mate at USC with Payton Jordon who was the US Olympic head track and field
coach in 1968. John wrote this book for you and me, so that we could understand through popular
language, and with scientific and technical language kept to a minimum but using diagrams,
illustrations or short glossaries so we the laymen could understand should we want to delve deeper.

Let's see what action this post brings! It's Ball/Heel/Ball!

Actions so far:

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/7263/runner.html by Pete(Y-rotation)

The typical heel striker hits the ground ahead of his center of gravity (cg) as shown in Fig. 1. The
horizontal component of the impact force decelerates the runner. Although the runner's momentum
overcomes the force. it does so at a cost of additional and unnecessary expenditure of energy.

In order to save energy one must eliminate the horizontal component. To do so the runner must strike
the ground directly below his center of gravity (cg) as shown in Fig 2. However, to heel strike
there the runner must consciously and unnaturally turn the foot tip up as illustrated. One can only
conclude that the most efficient and natural strike in this case is the fore-foot strike.

By Miles Lakin:

> I've been going through some copies of the French equivalent to RW, "Jogging International" (mmm,
> something for the runners v. joggers thread??). I've struggled to find pics that AREN'T of heel
> strikers!!! Seems they're all at it :)
>
> I put up a post a while back about photos in Better Training for Distance Runners which no one
> replied to. I will say it again - look at fig. g on page 15 and the picture of Seb Coe on page 26.
> Heel-strikers?
>
> I don't have the "Better TFDR", just "TFDR". Two shots of Coe in flight:
>
> 1) With McClean and Cram. Here Coe is in midflight, so hard to be certain. I reckon his knee
> will not straighten and he'll NOT heel strike. But it's open to debate.
>
> 2) Alone, but in a series of 3 shots with Aouita and Kristiansen. Poetry in motion. He's
> definitely not going to heel strike (see my next para).
>
> I thought it might help this discussion if we were all looking at the same group of pictures. Let
> us all be CERTAIN what we mean when we say heel strike or midfoot strike.
>
> I've scanned in some good pics this morning and now have them on an html page. Trouble is I've not
> got a publically accessible web site. I'll
talk to the sys guys and see if they can do anything for me. Miles

Response by Ozzie

:) Miles, Dean, Y-Rotation, Phil and others, It is a joy and makes my
heart sing to be able to dialogue w/ you about this whole Ball/Heel issue.

In 1978 I purchased a Sanyo video recorder which played in slow motion. It had a 20 minute
cassette format (used in surgeries/manufacturing). It was black and white and I used it for about
6 years in teaching form and style where I could show people how they ran and by playing their
running it in slo-mo.

One of the most beautiful runners I filmed was Jan Haggelbrand from Sweden. He ran for US Int'l
University and was truly a gazelle. What I learned from him is that his running stride looked like
he was hitting heel first but when I slowed the tape down you were able to see that his c of g was
already forward on impact and that the landing was more of midsole so that by the time the foot
landed it was ball/heel but quicker than the eye at regular speed could see.

In looking at pictures, thanks for your work Miles, I realized that I couldn't judge a heel or
ball/heel landing because it is only a fraction of time and I'd need to see the entire sequence to
be able to watch.

What I did learn is that if you see an elite runner coming towards you, you will seldom see the
bottom of their shoe. With Jan Haggelbrand, you'd see the bottom of the shoe but as he landed (as
viewed from the side) you realized that he landed midsole because he c of g. was always slightly in
front of the landing foot.

With heel strikers, you will always see the bottoms of their heels. Also you will notice that heel
strikers for the most part when seen from the front do not lift their knees. With faster and more
elite runners, most head on shots look as if they have one leg and the other leg is cut off at the
knee as the lower leg is hidden behind the thigh. As they bring the knee up you don't see the bottom
of their shoe because as soon as the knee is up the lower leg is coming back down.

I do believe that the dialogue as we address the issue of learning to run be it 10 minutes/mile or 4
minutes/mile, one can use good form no matter what speed.

In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer - rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon
Clinic, est. 1975

Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/

"Ozzie Gontang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:090120040056529248%[email protected]...
> Some of the thinking and perspectives that reinforced my view on landing midfoot or ball/heel.
>
> Ozzie
>

> BALL/HEEL/BALL Is the Correct Way To Run

So the majority of elite runners are doing it wrong. What a scandal!

No, elites do not land on their heels, but neither do they do the pogo-stick impersonation with the
wasteful ball/heel/ball landing. They land mid-foot and keep on rolling.

> Austin "Ozzie" Gontang, Ph.D.

With a thesis on ball/heel/ball, no doubt.

--
eNo "Why am I here?"

[[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for
details. ]]

In article <[email protected]>, eNo <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ozzie Gontang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:090120040056529248%[email protected]...
> > Some of the thinking and perspectives that reinforced my view on landing midfoot or ball/heel.
> >
> > Ozzie
> >

> > BALL/HEEL/BALL Is the Correct Way To Run
>

> So the majority of elite runners are doing it wrong. What a scandal!
>
> No, elites do not land on their heels, but neither do they do the pogo-stick impersonation with
> the wasteful ball/heel/ball landing. They land mid-foot and keep on rolling.
>
> > Austin "Ozzie" Gontang, Ph.D.
>
> With a thesis on ball/heel/ball, no doubt.

eNo,

I usually start people by having them march in place. The ball touches an instant before the heel
touches. If they keep lifting their knees and inch or two as they march in place and lean from the
ankle, they are still lifting their knees and landing ball/heel or as you say flat footed.

They are surprised that they are not lifting the body vertically. Because many people when they run
don't lift the knees, they have to list their entire center of gravity giving as you say, the pogo
stick impersonation.

While you are correct that many top runners land midsole as their center of gravity is over or in
front of the foot as it lands.

No, no thesis on ball/heel/ball. Just one way of sharing some folklore to assist people land more
quietly on the surface of terra firma.

In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer - rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon
Clinic, est. 1975

Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/

Ozzie,

Do they land midsole instead of flat-footed because the foot is flexing? Or because they're landing
on the lateral portion of the foot? Or both?

The FEELING of landing midsole and pushing off SEEMS to be less of a shock than ball-heal to me.
Perhaps I'm overstriding with the ball-heel, and breaking on my heals.

I'm very curious about this, as I try to shake my shin splints.

Scott

Ozzie Gontang wrote:

> [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for
> details. ]]
>
> In article <[email protected]>, eNo <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Ozzie Gontang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:090120040056529248%[email protected]...
>>
>>>Some of the thinking and perspectives that reinforced my view on landing midfoot or ball/heel.
>>>
>>>Ozzie
>>>

>>>BALL/HEEL/BALL Is the Correct Way To Run
>>

>>So the majority of elite runners are doing it wrong. What a scandal!
>>
>>No, elites do not land on their heels, but neither do they do the pogo-stick impersonation with
>>the wasteful ball/heel/ball landing. They land mid-foot and keep on rolling.
>>

>>>Austin "Ozzie" Gontang, Ph.D.
>>
>>With a thesis on ball/heel/ball, no doubt.
>

> eNo,
>
> I usually start people by having them march in place. The ball touches an instant before the heel
> touches. If they keep lifting their knees and inch or two as they march in place and lean from the
> ankle, they are still lifting their knees and landing ball/heel or as you say flat footed.
>
> They are surprised that they are not lifting the body vertically. Because many people when they
> run don't lift the knees, they have to list their entire center of gravity giving as you say, the
> pogo stick impersonation.
>
> While you are correct that many top runners land midsole as their center of gravity is over or in
> front of the foot as it lands.
>
> No, no thesis on ball/heel/ball. Just one way of sharing some folklore to assist people land more
> quietly on the surface of terra firma.
>
> In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer - rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon
> Clinic, est. 1975
>
> Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/

Realbitchy screams "BALL ME, YOU HEEL" when his boyfriend buttfuks him.Is that the same thing?

In article <[email protected]>, Scott Williams <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ozzie,
>
> Do they land midsole instead of flat-footed because the foot is flexing? Or because they're
> landing on the lateral portion of the foot? Or both?
>
> The FEELING of landing midsole and pushing off SEEMS to be less of a shock than ball-heal to me.
> Perhaps I'm overstriding with the ball-heel, and breaking on my heals.
>
> I'm very curious about this, as I try to shake my shin splints.

Scott,

The landing be it ball/heel where it is almost instantaneous ball/heel, or where it is simultaneous
ball/heel or what many would call a midsole landing or even what looks like a front of the heel/ball
landing all have one thing in common.

When the foot touches down the center of gravity is in process or has passed beyond the foot plant.
In these cases the vertical forces are minimal. There is no deceleration as there would be in any
foot plant where the foot is in front of the center of gravity.

If I were to ask you to do anything it would be:

First, forget about pushing off. By that I mean there is little push off, or pushing the body
forward, as the body is already moved forward and is in a sense pulling the foot/leg off the ground.

To practice running without the push off, find a hill and run up it so that you feel no pushoff at
all. When you experience that, you'll see that the shins don't take such a beating.

Also as you run imagine that you have no toes. If you are leaning too far forward, or if you're
looking down rather than crown of the head up and eyes on the horizon, you're having to overstretch
the shins unnecessarily.

Good luck on playing with your minimal pushoff and relaxing your toes.

Let us know how it goes.

Ozzie Gontang wrote:

> First, forget about pushing off. By that I mean there is little push off, or pushing the
> body forward, as the body is already moved forward and is in a sense pulling the foot/leg
> off the ground.
>
> To practice running without the push off, find a hill and run up it so that you feel no pushoff at
> all. When you experience that, you'll see that the shins don't take such a beating.

As a farther thought, *if* I understand some of this stuff correctly, it's actually the recoil of
the achilles which was stretched out during dorsiflexion while that foot is airborne that provides
much of the propulsion going forward. And I think the dorsiflexion helps the shin - at least for me
it does. If I concentrate on the dorsiflexion, I generally have no shin pain and if a little creeps
in, I dorsiflex more, and it goes away. Landing from this position leaves me with slight forward
ankle lean, ready to go forward.

Dot

Gee, more important info from Oz on things we should have learned when we were 12 months old. I
can't wait for his "You don't have to be a slave to your diaper" post. Right left right left...