or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which oil to season cast iron?

post #1 of 56
The cast iron skillet needed a bit of re-seasoning, so we
tried using grape seed oil since it was what we had on
hand for a high-smoke-point oil.

Oddly, though, the result was not good. The pan now smokes
too easily. So I want to try it again with a different
oil, and there's nothing suitable on hand.

What should I get? Sunflower oil is on sale, should that
work?

Steve
post #2 of 56

Re: Which oil to season cast iron?

On Nov 9, 6:47 pm, spop...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:
> The cast iron skillet needed a bit of re-seasoning, so we
> tried using grape seed oil since it was what we had on
> hand for a high-smoke-point oil.
>
> Oddly, though, the result was not good. The pan now smokes
> too easily. So I want to try it again with a different
> oil, and there's nothing suitable on hand.
>
> What should I get? Sunflower oil is on sale, should that
> work?

I typically use peanut oil because it's always on hand, sometimes
safflower oil. Both work fine. Sunflower oil also has a high smoke
point.

Here's a chart of smoke points:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/SmokePointOil.htm
....but I'm not sure that's the problem. The pan smokes too easily, so
that might just mean there's too much residual oil still in the pan.
It'll go away. The question is, is the pan now well-seasoned? -aem
post #3 of 56

Re: Which oil to season cast iron?

On Nov 9, 6:47 pm, spop...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:
> The cast iron skillet needed a bit of re-seasoning, so we
> tried using grape seed oil since it was what we had on
> hand for a high-smoke-point oil.
>
> Oddly, though, the result was not good. The pan now smokes
> too easily. So I want to try it again with a different
> oil, and there's nothing suitable on hand.
>
> What should I get? Sunflower oil is on sale, should that
> work?

I typically use peanut oil because it's always on hand, sometimes
safflower oil. Both work fine. Sunflower oil also has a high smoke
point.

Here's a chart of smoke points:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/SmokePointOil.htm
....but I'm not sure that's the problem. The pan smokes too easily, so
that might just mean there's too much residual oil still in the pan.
It'll go away. The question is, is the pan now well-seasoned? -aem
post #4 of 56

aem <aem_again@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I typically use peanut oil because it's always on hand, sometimes
>safflower oil. Both work fine. Sunflower oil also has a high smoke
>point.

Thanks

>Here's a chart of smoke points:
>http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/SmokePointOil.htm

>...but I'm not sure that's the problem. The pan smokes too easily, so
>that might just mean there's too much residual oil still in the pan.
>It'll go away. The question is, is the pan now well-seasoned? -aem

I would say it is not well seasoned now, due to having cleaned
off much of what has been built up on it. I really don't know
if the smoking was due to residual stuff, or the grape seed oil
not being correct, but I'd rather switch away from grape seed
oil for my next attempt.

Steve
post #5 of 56

Re: Which oil to season cast iron?

aem <aem_again@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I typically use peanut oil because it's always on hand, sometimes
>safflower oil. Both work fine. Sunflower oil also has a high smoke
>point.

Thanks

>Here's a chart of smoke points:
>http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/SmokePointOil.htm

>...but I'm not sure that's the problem. The pan smokes too easily, so
>that might just mean there's too much residual oil still in the pan.
>It'll go away. The question is, is the pan now well-seasoned? -aem

I would say it is not well seasoned now, due to having cleaned
off much of what has been built up on it. I really don't know
if the smoking was due to residual stuff, or the grape seed oil
not being correct, but I'd rather switch away from grape seed
oil for my next attempt.

Steve
post #6 of 56

"Steve Pope" <spope33@speedymail.org> wrote in message
> The cast iron skillet needed a bit of re-seasoning, so we
> tried using grape seed oil since it was what we had on
> hand for a high-smoke-point oil.
>
> Oddly, though, the result was not good. The pan now smokes
> too easily. So I want to try it again with a different
> oil, and there's nothing suitable on hand.
>
> What should I get? Sunflower oil is on sale, should that
> work?

I use corn oil. Peanut oil is OK, safflower oil is fine.

Paul
post #7 of 56

Re: Which oil to season cast iron?

"Steve Pope" <spope33@speedymail.org> wrote in message
> The cast iron skillet needed a bit of re-seasoning, so we
> tried using grape seed oil since it was what we had on
> hand for a high-smoke-point oil.
>
> Oddly, though, the result was not good. The pan now smokes
> too easily. So I want to try it again with a different
> oil, and there's nothing suitable on hand.
>
> What should I get? Sunflower oil is on sale, should that
> work?

I use corn oil. Peanut oil is OK, safflower oil is fine.

Paul
post #8 of 56

Paul M. Cook <pmBERMUDA_SHORTScook@gte.net> wrote:

>I use corn oil. Peanut oil is OK, safflower oil is fine.

Thanks, thanks.

S.
post #9 of 56

Re: Which oil to season cast iron?

Paul M. Cook <pmBERMUDA_SHORTScook@gte.net> wrote:

>I use corn oil. Peanut oil is OK, safflower oil is fine.

Thanks, thanks.

S.
post #10 of 56

Steve Pope wrote:
> The cast iron skillet needed a bit of re-seasoning, so we
> tried using grape seed oil since it was what we had on
> hand for a high-smoke-point oil.
>
> Oddly, though, the result was not good. The pan now smokes
> too easily. So I want to try it again with a different
> oil, and there's nothing suitable on hand.
>
> What should I get? Sunflower oil is on sale, should that
> work?
>
> Steve

Crisco, or other hydrogenated shortening. Seriously.

Bob
post #11 of 56

Steve Pope wrote:
> The cast iron skillet needed a bit of re-seasoning, so we
> tried using grape seed oil since it was what we had on
> hand for a high-smoke-point oil.
>
> Oddly, though, the result was not good. The pan now smokes
> too easily. So I want to try it again with a different
> oil, and there's nothing suitable on hand.
>
> What should I get? Sunflower oil is on sale, should that
> work?
>
> Steve

Crisco, or other hydrogenated shortening. Seriously.

Bob
post #12 of 56

Re: Which oil to season cast iron?

In article <fh364j$1d5$1@blue.rahul.net>,
spope33@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:

> What should I get? Sunflower oil is on sale, should that
> work?

Fry some bacon in it.

leo
post #13 of 56

Re: Which oil to season cast iron?

In article <fh364j$1d5$1@blue.rahul.net>,
spope33@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:

> What should I get? Sunflower oil is on sale, should that
> work?

Fry some bacon in it.

leo
post #14 of 56

Re: Which oil to season cast iron?

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 02:47:47 +0000 (UTC), spope33@speedymail.org
(Steve Pope) rummaged around random neurons and opined:

>The cast iron skillet needed a bit of re-seasoning, so we
>tried using grape seed oil since it was what we had on
>hand for a high-smoke-point oil.
>
>Oddly, though, the result was not good. The pan now smokes
>too easily. So I want to try it again with a different
>oil, and there's nothing suitable on hand.
>
>What should I get? Sunflower oil is on sale, should that
>work?

The DH maintains his cast iron skillets with a vigilance that smacks
of religious fervor. He inherited several skillets, two round griddles
and an abelskiver, the last being my contribution, and reseasons them
at the least provocation. He swears by bacon grease.

I have just consulted his Lord High Seasoning Genius and he suggests
the following:

Using a paper towel, coat the skillet with melted bacon grease. Let
the skillet sit for 2 hours in a preheated 250F° oven. Let it cool and
wipe off any excess grease.

If food sticks to the skillet, reseason it.

Whether the bacon grease is the magic bullet, I couldn't swear to, but
his cast iron is immaculate.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"
post #15 of 56

Re: Which oil to season cast iron?

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 02:47:47 +0000 (UTC), spope33@speedymail.org
(Steve Pope) rummaged around random neurons and opined:

>The cast iron skillet needed a bit of re-seasoning, so we
>tried using grape seed oil since it was what we had on
>hand for a high-smoke-point oil.
>
>Oddly, though, the result was not good. The pan now smokes
>too easily. So I want to try it again with a different
>oil, and there's nothing suitable on hand.
>
>What should I get? Sunflower oil is on sale, should that
>work?

The DH maintains his cast iron skillets with a vigilance that smacks
of religious fervor. He inherited several skillets, two round griddles
and an abelskiver, the last being my contribution, and reseasons them
at the least provocation. He swears by bacon grease.

I have just consulted his Lord High Seasoning Genius and he suggests
the following:

Using a paper towel, coat the skillet with melted bacon grease. Let
the skillet sit for 2 hours in a preheated 250F° oven. Let it cool and
wipe off any excess grease.

If food sticks to the skillet, reseason it.

Whether the bacon grease is the magic bullet, I couldn't swear to, but
his cast iron is immaculate.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"