or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Wow, is this stuff lame, or what? CostCo usually does a pretty
good job of choosing worthwhile items for the shelves, so I
picked up a 6-pack of those quart-sized boxes.

This stuff taste like the water they washed the chicken in. No
flavor at all. Taste like they took Swansons, cut the salt in
half, and cut it with 400% water.

Avoid, IMO. I'll stick to home made, Swansons, or even
Minor's/McCormicks/Tones chicken bases in the tubs.

-sw
post #2 of 15

Re: Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"

"Sqwertz" <swertz@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
news:132euo2e7r8c2$.dlg@sqwertz.com...
> Wow, is this stuff lame, or what? CostCo usually does a pretty
> good job of choosing worthwhile items for the shelves, so I
> picked up a 6-pack of those quart-sized boxes.
>
> This stuff taste like the water they washed the chicken in. No
> flavor at all. Taste like they took Swansons, cut the salt in
> half, and cut it with 400% water.
>
> Avoid, IMO. I'll stick to home made, Swansons, or even
> Minor's/McCormicks/Tones chicken bases in the tubs.
>
> -sw



Maybe drop the company a note, or they'll never have a reason to make
improvements. I suspect they don't have anyone watching this newsgroup.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

Re: Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 19:56:29 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> Maybe drop the company a note, or they'll never have a reason to make
> improvements. I suspect they don't have anyone watching this newsgroup.


You mean this *isn't* their customer relations hotline?

Smartass.

-sw
post #4 of 15

Re: Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"

"Sqwertz" <swertz@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
news:1te7y339mdkh1$.dlg@sqwertz.com...
> On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 19:56:29 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
>> Maybe drop the company a note, or they'll never have a reason to make
>> improvements. I suspect they don't have anyone watching this newsgroup.

>
> You mean this *isn't* their customer relations hotline?
>
> Smartass.
>
> -sw



Well, so many regulars in this NG love to complain about products or about
how they can't find products in their various grocery stores, but actually
contacting a corporation seems to be as much of a taboo as having sex with
infants.
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 

Re: Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 20:03:41 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Sqwertz" <swertz@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
> news:1te7y339mdkh1$.dlg@sqwertz.com...
>> On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 19:56:29 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe drop the company a note, or they'll never have a reason to make
>>> improvements. I suspect they don't have anyone watching this newsgroup.

>>
>> You mean this *isn't* their customer relations hotline?
>>
>> Smartass.

>
> Well, so many regulars in this NG love to complain about products or about
> how they can't find products in their various grocery stores, but actually
> contacting a corporation seems to be as much of a taboo as having sex with
> infants.


I let it be known to the company by returning it to CostCo and
getting my money back. When CostCo dumps them as a supplier,
they'll know why. Much more effective to let CostCo do the
speaking for me.

-sw
post #6 of 15

Re: Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 12:59:32 -0600, Sqwertz <swertz@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>Wow, is this stuff lame, or what? CostCo usually does a pretty
>good job of choosing worthwhile items for the shelves, so I
>picked up a 6-pack of those quart-sized boxes.
>
>This stuff taste like the water they washed the chicken in. No
>flavor at all. Taste like they took Swansons, cut the salt in
>half, and cut it with 400% water.
>
>Avoid, IMO. I'll stick to home made, Swansons, or even
>Minor's/McCormicks/Tones chicken bases in the tubs.
>
>-sw


Each to their own... I like it because it's low (enough) sodium for my
diet, and more importantly, it has no MSG or artificial chemical crap
in it. And it's cheap... maybe you just expected it to taste like
salt?
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 

Re: Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 09:21:56 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

> Each to their own... I like it because it's low (enough) sodium for my
> diet, and more importantly, it has no MSG or artificial chemical crap
> in it. And it's cheap... maybe you just expected it to taste like
> salt?


I expected it to taste like something other than dirty water.

-sw
post #8 of 15

Re: Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"

Sqwertz wrote:

> Wow, is this stuff lame, or what? CostCo usually does a pretty
> good job of choosing worthwhile items for the shelves, so I
> picked up a 6-pack of those quart-sized boxes.
>
> This stuff taste like the water they washed the chicken in. No
> flavor at all. Taste like they took Swansons, cut the salt in
> half, and cut it with 400% water.
>
> Avoid, IMO. I'll stick to home made, Swansons, or even
> Minor's/McCormicks/Tones chicken bases in the tubs.



You should know that anything with the New Age - ish moniker of "Pacific
Organics" is lame from the get - go, Steve...'though I'm sure that the
crunchy pussies in Berkeley or Santa Cruz think it's the bee's knees.


--
Best
Greg

"I am smarter than you think I am."
- Maryanne "Loafhead" Kehoe to me
in alt.gossip.celebrities
post #9 of 15

Re: Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"

"Gregory Morrow" <TheKillingOfSistahGeorge@mercycroft.com> wrote in message
news:13l654slousdo33@corp.supernews.com...
>
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Wow, is this stuff lame, or what? CostCo usually does a pretty
>> good job of choosing worthwhile items for the shelves, so I
>> picked up a 6-pack of those quart-sized boxes.
>>
>> This stuff taste like the water they washed the chicken in. No
>> flavor at all. Taste like they took Swansons, cut the salt in
>> half, and cut it with 400% water.
>>
>> Avoid, IMO. I'll stick to home made, Swansons, or even
>> Minor's/McCormicks/Tones chicken bases in the tubs.

>
>
> You should know that anything with the New Age - ish moniker of "Pacific
> Organics" is lame from the get - go, Steve...'though I'm sure that the
> crunchy pussies in Berkeley or Santa Cruz think it's the bee's knees.
>
>
> --
> Best
> Greg



Crunchy pussies? ROFL! Crunchy referring to what - twig bars & cereals
and feeding hay to their babies? :-)
post #10 of 15

Re: Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"

On Dec 4, 11:53 am, Don Kleist <kle...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> A few months ago Cook's Illustrated reviewed and rated several brands of
> chicken broth/stock. The Pacific Organics was rated lowest.


Which was/were rated highest? Were they rated solely on taste, or did
other factors such as fat or salt content considered? -aem
post #11 of 15

Re: Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"

aem wrote:
> On Dec 4, 11:53 am, Don Kleist <kle...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> A few months ago Cook's Illustrated reviewed and rated several brands of
>> chicken broth/stock. The Pacific Organics was rated lowest.

>
> Which was/were rated highest? Were they rated solely on taste, or did
> other factors such as fat or salt content considered? -aem


Highest was the Swanson's ORGANIC chicken broth. When I buy it that's
all I buy now. The worst, worst, worst stuff I ever bought was some
Kitchen <something> brand... it was seriously like dirty dish water. ugh.
post #12 of 15

Re: Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"

"Don Kleist" <kleist@comcast.net> wrote :
>> -sw

> A few months ago Cook's Illustrated reviewed and rated several brands of
> chicken broth/stock. The Pacific Organics was rated lowest.


I just tried the Aldi brand chicken broth, canned in Illinois, and it's
comparable to campbell's.
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 

Re: Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 14:53:12 -0500, Don Kleist wrote:

> A few months ago Cook's Illustrated reviewed and rated several brands of
> chicken broth/stock. The Pacific Organics was rated lowest.


For some reasons it's listed under "Recommended, with
R3eservations", but their description says:

PACIFIC Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
$2.49 for 32-ounce carton SODIUM: 570 mg.
One taster noticed an ´interesting mushroom smell,¡ but thatÿs as
positive a comment as tasters could muster. ´Watery,¡ ´chemical,¡
´dirty,¡ and ´like an entire vegetable drawer gone bad¡ were
more-representative observations.

Thanks for the pointer. And I agree with the assessments.

-sw
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 

Re: Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 12:45:19 -0800 (PST), aem wrote:

> On Dec 4, 11:53 am, Don Kleist <kle...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> A few months ago Cook's Illustrated reviewed and rated several brands of
>> chicken broth/stock. The Pacific Organics was rated lowest.

>
> Which was/were rated highest? Were they rated solely on taste, or did
> other factors such as fat or salt content considered? -aem


Note that they only surveyed broth in BOXES.

SWANSON Certified Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
($2.79 for 32-ounce carton SODIUM: 570 mg.
Weÿre not ones to jump on the organic bandwagon
for its own sake; the proofÿs in the taste. Swansonÿs
newest broth won tasters over with ´very chickeny,
straightforward, and honest flavors,¡ a hearty aroma,
and restrained ´hints of roastiness.¡

BETTER THAN BOUILLON Chicken Base
($4.99 for 8-ounce jar of concentrate
(makes 38 cups ) SODIUM: 690 mg.
Fairly salty, but tasters were fond of its ´straightforward¡
flavor profile. Though it does take about 5
minutes to reconstitute the concentrated paste in
water, the 18-month refrigerator shelf life means
itÿs a good replacement for dehydrated bouillon.

SWANSON ´Natural Goodness¡ Chicken Broth
($2.19 for 32-ounce carton SODIUM: 570 mg.
Swansonÿs standard low-sodium broth tasted almost
as good as the winner, though some panelists found it
´overly roasted.¡ Very full chicken flavor, but several
tasters noted an out-of-place tartness reminiscent of
lemon.

IMAGINE Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
($1.99 for 32-ounce carton SODIUM: 570 mg.
A ´decent flavor of chicken that lingers.¡ This broth
had very prominent onion notes, which some tasters
loved and others disliked. Some panelists werenÿt fond
of the pale yellow color.
post #15 of 15

Re: Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"

On Dec 4, 4:00 pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
> Note that they only surveyed broth in BOXES.
>
> SWANSON Certified Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
> ($2.79 for 32-ounce carton SODIUM: 570 mg.
> [snip]
> BETTER THAN BOUILLON Chicken Base
> ($4.99 for 8-ounce jar of concentrate
> (makes 38 cups ) SODIUM: 690 mg.
>[snip]
> SWANSON ´Natural Goodness¡ Chicken Broth
> ($2.19 for 32-ounce carton SODIUM: 570 mg.
> [snip]
> IMAGINE Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
> ($1.99 for 32-ounce carton SODIUM: 570 mg.
> [snip]


Thanks for the citations. I haven't tried many of the boxed broths,
though I thought TJ's organic/free range was okay. My usual is
homemade and my backup for emergencies is a jar of Better than
Bouillon, so I guess I'm in okay shape. -aem
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › Pacific Organics "Chicken Broth"