or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

lap pool poll (questions)

post #1 of 5
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:59:33 GMT, "John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:

>Any advice/counsel regarding the length/width/depth dimensions?

I'd go metric. Ten feet (~3m) sounds too wide for one lane, and not enough for two. You want from
6'-7" (2m) to 9'-0" (2.74m) per lane.

You can't win under twenty feet wide. The narrower it is, the less likely someone will try to dive
in transversely and whack their noggin, but the more likely they'll try to jump over it and break
their shins.

>Also, if I tack on a hot tub/jacuzzi, should it be integral with or totally separate from the lap
>pool? Any other advice?

Separate. You want a cool pool and a hot tub. Also, you'll take forever to heat the whole bloody
pool to hot tub temperature.

>I am also thinking of making the lap pool (not the hot tub/jacuzzi) available to the local school
>athletic department for students to train.

Is the school willing to transport and supervise them?

Donal Fagan AIA Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)
post #2 of 5

Re: lap pool poll (questions)

I had a pool built in South Florida that was 20 yds long and in the shape of the letter P. It was 10
feet wide in the shallow end (3 1/2 ft deep and tapered to the deep end at 7 ft) with the steps
extending outside of the 10 ft width. The pool was 20 ft wide at the widest. I had the two lights
offset from the center and a tile lane marker running down the middle. It was a good fit for the lot
and operation wasn't too costly. I think it was 25,000 gallons. A pool cover to retain heat in the
winter was all that was needed to swim 51 weeks per year. It was a little rough with the wave action
but worked out great.

Some things to consider: If you have to sell, a big pool is bad. Another thing is it should fit and
look like it belongs in the landscape. (i finally sold the house but it took 6 months)

If I could do it again: I'd think about 25 yds but would go 20 if I had to. Consider lane ropes
since you most likely get competion gutters (although that is could be considered too) Put a swim
out in the deep end so there is no need for ladders. Consider an automatic cover. I don't think they
are good insulators but secure the pool. Think about a jacuzzi that flows into the pool like a
waterfall when not in use.

Hope this helps.

By the way, I know a John Smith that used to coach at Vanderbilt University. Any relation?
post #3 of 5

Re: lap pool poll (questions)

"John Smith" wrote:
>I am thinking in terms of an olympic short course, which to me means 25 meters/metres in length,
>and approximately ten (10) feet wide, and five (5) feet deep.

FINA gives official dimensions for Olympic pools: Pool length (Olympic): 50 m Pool length (World
championship): 25 m Pool width: 25 m Min depth: 2 m Lane width: 2.5 m Distance from edge to
first/last lane: 2.5 m www.fina.org/facilityrules_3.html

FINA rules include less demanding tolerances for other pools: Pool length: 25 m Pool width: (not
found - may be undefined, presumably at least 5.4 m) Min depth from lane end to 1 m out: 1 m Min
depth from 1 m out to 6 m out: 1.35 m (depth allows for racing dive starts) Lane width: 2.5 m
Distance from edge to first/last lane: 0.2 m www.fina.org/facilityrules_2.html
post #4 of 5

Re: lap pool poll (questions)

In <91y4a.34962$rE3.8583@nwrddc01.gnilink.net> John Smith wrote:

> I am also thinking of making the lap pool (not the hot tub/jacuzzi) available to the local school
> athletic department for students to train. There is no pool in the general area where my land is
> located. Other than insurance issues, would this be a mistake?

It's a very generous offer. Nice of you.

Others have answered the size questions. The hot tub must be separate, since it will be above 90F
while the pool should be about 80F. For the team, you should have life guard chairs, starting blocks
(portable is ok), at least 4 lanes (20 swimmers in only 2 lanes wouldn't be pretty), enough deck
space for 2 teams, and male/female locker rooms/showers. A diving well is also a plus. The team's
coach should have all the references you need.

For insurance, make sure you have in writing that all activities are school-sponsored, and that all
insurance is the responsibility of the school. (And then vote for any school funds, so they can pay
the insurance.)

Ross
post #5 of 5

Re: lap pool poll (questions)

I agree with Ghost Rider's post on the need for gutters in a lap pool. Since most lap pools are
usually narrow (1 or 2 lanes), they are likely subject to more turbulence and wave rebound than are
conventional pools. Gutters are a must for minimizing wave rebound and affording a better training
environment for lap swimming.

Steve Curtis
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home