or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Cycling Equipment › Daytona -- Chorus compatibility question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Daytona -- Chorus compatibility question  

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
After my bike was torn down and repainted, I replaced a one-year old Record chain with a Daytona.
Cranking backwards I found several links would bind slightly as they passed through the upper
derailleur pulley and onto the Chorus cogs. I flexed the links to make sure they weren't tight and
made sure it wasn't the pin I had just punched in. When I put the old chain back on, smoothness
returned. So my question is are the Record and Daytona chains interchangeable? Not sure I like the
alternatives.
post #2 of 10

Re: Daytona -- Chorus compatibility question

drew knox wrote:
> After my bike was torn down and repainted, I replaced a one-year old Record chain with a Daytona.

There is no Daytona chain. Record chains are supplied for all groups.

All chains of the appropriate speed are interchangeable anyway, and you can use non-Campag brands
perfectly well with Campag components.

~PB
post #3 of 10

Re: Daytona -- Chorus compatibility question

"drew knox" <drew.knox@bentley.com> wrote in message news:b08utc$8qd$1@news.bentley.com...

> After my bike was torn down and repainted, I replaced a one-year old
Record
> chain with a Daytona. Cranking backwards I found several links would bind

This makes no sense. Campy don't make different chains for different groups. There is only a C-9 for
9 speed, or a C-10 for 10 speed. Your new chain may take a few miles to wear in. It's common to have
a few stiff links at first.

Failing that, what has likely happened is that your old chain and cluster have worn together, and by
leaving it too long between replacing chains, you now have to buy a new cluster as well.

I'd recommend going for the loose cog cassettes, regardless of what group you run for the rest
of your drivetrain, as they work just as well as the mark 2 or titanium cogs at significantly
less cost.

Regards,

Suzy

--
---
Suzy Jackson suzyj@bigpond.com http://www.suzyj.net
post #4 of 10

Re: Daytona -- Chorus compatibility question

If problems persist try a Yaban 10 speed chain (the one in the gold tin), I think marketed under
another more Western name in the US, their 10 speed joiner is a sensible alternative to the
Permalink.

Suzy Jackson wrote:
> "drew knox" <drew.knox@bentley.com> wrote in message news:b08utc$8qd$1@news.bentley.com...
>
>
>>After my bike was torn down and repainted, I replaced a one-year old
>
> Record
>
>>chain with a Daytona. Cranking backwards I found several links would bind
>
>
>
> This makes no sense. Campy don't make different chains for different groups. There is only a C-9
> for 9 speed, or a C-10 for 10 speed. Your new chain may take a few miles to wear in. It's common
> to have a few stiff links at first.
>
> Failing that, what has likely happened is that your old chain and cluster have worn together, and
> by leaving it too long between replacing chains, you now have to buy a new cluster as well.
>
> I'd recommend going for the loose cog cassettes, regardless of what group you run for the rest
> of your drivetrain, as they work just as well as the mark 2 or titanium cogs at significantly
> less cost.
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy
>
> --
> ---
> Suzy Jackson suzyj@bigpond.com http://www.suzyj.net
post #5 of 10

Re: Daytona -- Chorus compatibility question

<< Campy don't make different chains for different groups. There is only a C-9 for 9 speed, or a
C-10 for 10 speed.

Actually for 9s there is a Daytona/Veloce 9s chain and a Record 9s chain. Chepaer one has black
inner plates, the Record one is grey-ish. There is only one Campagnolo 10s chain tho-

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
post #6 of 10

Re: Daytona -- Chorus compatibility question

"drew knox" <drew.knox@bentley.com> wrote in message news:<b08utc$8qd$1@news.bentley.com>...
> After my bike was torn down and repainted, I replaced a one-year old Record chain with a Daytona.
> Cranking backwards I found several links would bind slightly as they passed through the upper
> derailleur pulley and onto the Chorus cogs. I flexed the links to make sure they weren't tight and
> made sure it wasn't the pin I had just punched in. When I put the old chain back on, smoothness
> returned. So my question is are the Record and Daytona chains interchangeable? Not sure I like the
> alternatives.

Sounds like stif links, but if thats not the case, your cogs might be toast. I don't know how many
miles you do, but a year is quite a while for a chain. Use cheap chains and change often, saves $$
in the long run with todays pricey cog sets. --Jim
post #7 of 10

Re: Daytona -- Chorus compatibility question

Suzy Jackson wrote:
> Campy don't make different chains for different groups. There is only a C-9 for 9 speed, or a C-10
> for 10 speed.

That's right, but dealers and Campag themselves sometimes describe them as "Record" chains.

~PB
post #8 of 10

Re: Daytona -- Chorus compatibility question

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Actually for 9s there is a Daytona/Veloce 9s chain and a Record 9s chain. Chepaer one has black
> inner plates, the Record one is grey-ish.

They keep that quiet! There's no mention of it in the Campag catalogue and I've only ever seen
dealers list one price for Campag 9sp chains.

~PB
post #9 of 10

Re: Daytona -- Chorus compatibility question

Out of curiosity, are the 9sp chains from Campagnolo compatible with a shimano Ultegra drive train?

Thanks, Claude
post #10 of 10

Re: Daytona -- Chorus compatibility question

chluu-<< Out of curiosity, are the 9sp chains from Campagnolo compatible with a shimano Ultegra
drive train?

Yep ---

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Equipment
This thread is locked  
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Cycling Equipment › Daytona -- Chorus compatibility question