or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultegra shifter repair

post #1 of 20
The right shifter on my bike has been sticking all winter (when I move
the small lever it moves the big lever with it). I think it must have
gotten gunked up and needs a good lube and clean. I was talking to one
of the guys I ride with and he pretty much told me STI shifters are
not repairable, called a LBS and got the same answer. I figured since
the shifter is not working and I will have to replace it why not make
an attempt at repair. So I took it apart, I mean the whole shabang. I
found the problem, hardened grease and one small piece of metal
(broken off a washer-does not impact the working of the washer) which
had embedded itself between two levers. Anyway I cleaned up
everything, and yes I admit it I can't put it back together. I think I
have everything installed correctly except the operation of a small
release lever which clicks the gears one at a time for up shifting.

I checked the shimano website and they do not have any exploded views
of the innards, searching on the Internet hasn't revealed anything
yet.

Any ideas? pointers? etc.

Much appreciated.

P.S. I wish I had seen this news group before I took things apart, the
WD-40 flush and lube may have solved my problem.
post #2 of 20

Re: Ultegra shifter repair

"zrnaqvi@yahoo.com" wrote:
> Any ideas? pointers? etc.

This won't help now, but in the future you might want to take some
closeup digital photos before disassembling something that complex.

Congrats on at least finding the problem. You're braver than most!

Art Harris
post #3 of 20

Re: Ultegra shifter repair

All good advice. I like tinkering with stuff so the first instinct is
always "I can do it myself". I think I will eventually figure it out
but I hate to be off the bike for the week (or 2) it seems will take.
I just work at it during night while watching the Australian open
tennis.
I'd have taken close up pictures but my point and shoot digital is not
good with closeups. As they say hind sight is 20/20, I could have
tagged the various rings and springs to mark the order in which they
came out.
post #4 of 20

Re: Ultegra shifter repair

> P.S. I wish I had seen this news group before I took things apart, the
> WD-40 flush and lube may have solved my problem.

WD40, nor any other "lube" I've tried, has come close to being as effective
as PowerLube, available at finer auto-parts stores everywhere. The stuff is
tremendous, and doesn't seem to have problem with colder climates.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

<zrnaqvi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The right shifter on my bike has been sticking all winter (when I move
> the small lever it moves the big lever with it). I think it must have
> gotten gunked up and needs a good lube and clean. I was talking to one
> of the guys I ride with and he pretty much told me STI shifters are
> not repairable, called a LBS and got the same answer. I figured since
> the shifter is not working and I will have to replace it why not make
> an attempt at repair. So I took it apart, I mean the whole shabang. I
> found the problem, hardened grease and one small piece of metal
> (broken off a washer-does not impact the working of the washer) which
> had embedded itself between two levers. Anyway I cleaned up
> everything, and yes I admit it I can't put it back together. I think I
> have everything installed correctly except the operation of a small
> release lever which clicks the gears one at a time for up shifting.
>
> I checked the shimano website and they do not have any exploded views
> of the innards, searching on the Internet hasn't revealed anything
> yet.
>
> Any ideas? pointers? etc.
>
> Much appreciated.
>
> P.S. I wish I had seen this news group before I took things apart, the
> WD-40 flush and lube may have solved my problem.
post #5 of 20

Re: Ultegra shifter repair

zrnaqvi@yahoo.com wrote:

> P.S. I wish I had seen this news group before I took things apart, the
> WD-40 flush and lube may have solved my problem.

On another thread, a poster suggested using aerosol chain lube instead
of WD-40. That worked better for me on an old Ultegra shifter that was
sticking on one of my old bikes.
post #6 of 20

Re: Ultegra shifter repair

On Jan 23, 9:47 am, "zrna...@yahoo.com" <zrna...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The right shifter on my bike has been sticking all winter (when I move
> the small lever it moves the big lever with it). I think it must have
> gotten gunked up and needs a good lube and clean. I was talking to one
> of the guys I ride with and he pretty much told me STI shifters are
> not repairable, called a LBS and got the same answer. I figured since
> the shifter is not working and I will have to replace it why not make
> an attempt at repair. So I took it apart, I mean the whole shabang. I
> found the problem, hardened grease and one small piece of metal
> (broken off a washer-does not impact the working of the washer) which
> had embedded itself between two levers. Anyway I cleaned up
> everything, and yes I admit it I can't put it back together. I think I
> have everything installed correctly except the operation of a small
> release lever which clicks the gears one at a time for up shifting.
>
> I checked the shimano website and they do not have any exploded views
> of the innards, searching on the Internet hasn't revealed anything
> yet.
>
> Any ideas? pointers? etc.
>
> Much appreciated.
>
> P.S. I wish I had seen this news group before I took things apart, the
> WD-40 flush and lube may have solved my problem.

Here is a link which might help you:-

http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm

Its been around for a while so not all the links work.

Lewis.

*****
post #7 of 20

Re: Ultegra shifter repair

On Jan 23, 1:15 pm, "Bill Cotton" <Billcot...@comcast.net> wrote:
> <limey...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Jan 23, 9:47 am, "zrna...@yahoo.com" <zrna...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> The right shifter on my bike has been sticking all winter (when I move
> >> the small lever it moves the big lever with it). I think it must have
> >> gotten gunked up and needs a good lube and clean. I was talking to one
> >> of the guys I ride with and he pretty much told me STI shifters are
> >> not repairable, called a LBS and got the same answer. I figured since
> >> the shifter is not working and I will have to replace it why not make
> >> an attempt at repair. So I took it apart, I mean the whole shabang. I
> >> found the problem, hardened grease and one small piece of metal
> >> (broken off a washer-does not impact the working of the washer) which
> >> had embedded itself between two levers. Anyway I cleaned up
> >> everything, and yes I admit it I can't put it back together. I think I
> >> have everything installed correctly except the operation of a small
> >> release lever which clicks the gears one at a time for up shifting.

> >> I checked the shimano website and they do not have any exploded views
> >> of the innards, searching on the Internet hasn't revealed anything
> >> yet.

> >> Any ideas? pointers? etc.

> >> Much appreciated.

> >> P.S. I wish I had seen this news group before I took things apart, the
> >> WD-40 flush and lube may have solved my problem.

> > Here is a link which might help you:-

> >http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm

> > Its been around for a while so not all the links work.

> > Lewis.

> Email me the broken link. Front [age has a feature to fix broken link and
> one day I will pull it up again.
>
> --www.billcotton.com

Thanks Bill, I had read your article earlier in my quest. Here are the
links that do not work.

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin...=10516&psid=38
http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cg...id=87295127338
http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&...c2823bae82c38f

Just a clarification, WD-40 is not considered a lube it is more of a
cleaner/water remover/solvent. One should use some kind of oil
(PowerLube seems quite popular) after it.
post #8 of 20

Re: Ultegra shifter repair

On Jan 23, 7:47 am, "zrna...@yahoo.com" <zrna...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I checked the shimano website and they do not have any exploded views
> of the innards, searching on the Internet hasn't revealed anything
> yet.
>
> Any ideas? pointers? etc.

Hey zrnaqvi....I too was unable to get any help from the Shimano
website,
but I found this by accident the other day, seems to be part of the
Shimano
site but I don't know how to get there with their navigation, I found
it through
a Google search.
Lots of info including exploded views for Ultegra 6510, 6600, 6603,
R600, & R700.
Scroll down to the heading: "ST Dual Control Levers", lots of pdf's
with nice drawings,
explodeds, and even instructions for how to operate the various
levers.
Sorry for this horrendous url, someday I'll learn that tinyurl thing,
after I learn how to fix an STI. :-)

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs...=1188056400046

Buena fortuna,
ABS
post #9 of 20

Re: Ultegra shifter repair

On Jan 23, 4:12 pm, alans...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> On Jan 23, 7:47 am, "zrna...@yahoo.com" <zrna...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I checked the shimano website and they do not have any exploded views
> > of the innards, searching on the Internet hasn't revealed anything
> > yet.

> > Any ideas? pointers? etc.

> Hey zrnaqvi....I too was unable to get any help from the Shimano
> website,
> but I found this by accident the other day, seems to be part of the
> Shimano
> site but I don't know how to get there with their navigation, I found
> it through
> a Google search.
> Lots of info including exploded views for Ultegra 6510, 6600, 6603,
> R600, & R700.
> Scroll down to the heading: "ST Dual Control Levers", lots of pdf's
> with nice drawings,
> explodeds, and even instructions for how to operate the various
> levers.
> Sorry for this horrendous url, someday I'll learn that tinyurl thing,
> after I learn how to fix an STI. :-)
>
> http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs...ENT%3C%3East_i...
>
> Buena fortuna,
> ABS

thanks ABS, I have already looked at these PDFs, unfortunately my
problem is deeper. These PDFs do not go into the inner details of the
actual shifting mechanism.
post #10 of 20

Re: Ultegra shifter repair

> Somebody on this newsgroup posted pictures of an sti assembly.
> I downloaded the pictures. but it's a total of 11mb.
> I could try and mail them to you

thanks, I'll appreciate if you can. 11mb should not be a problem for
my mailbox at yahoo.
post #11 of 20

Re: Ultegra shifter repair

On Jan 23, 4:35 pm, "Fixed" <gibilaatdit...@senselan.ch> wrote:

> Checked your mail jet?

thanks a bunch man, the mail filter had picked them up, I recovered
them from the spam folder. Looking through them now.
post #12 of 20

Re: Ultegra shifter repair

In article
"zrnaqvi@yahoo.com" <zrnaqvi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The right shifter on my bike has been sticking all winter (when I move
> the small lever it moves the big lever with it). I think it must have
> gotten gunked up and needs a good lube and clean. I was talking to one
> of the guys I ride with and he pretty much told me STI shifters are
> not repairable, called a LBS and got the same answer. I figured since
> the shifter is not working and I will have to replace it why not make
> an attempt at repair. So I took it apart, I mean the whole shabang. I
> found the problem, hardened grease and one small piece of metal
> (broken off a washer-does not impact the working of the washer) which
> had embedded itself between two levers. Anyway I cleaned up
> everything, and yes I admit it I can't put it back together. I think I
> have everything installed correctly except the operation of a small
> release lever which clicks the gears one at a time for up shifting.
>
> I checked the shimano website and they do not have any exploded views
> of the innards, searching on the Internet hasn't revealed anything
> yet.
>
> Any ideas? pointers? etc.
>
> Much appreciated.
>
> P.S. I wish I had seen this news group before I took things apart, the
> WD-40 flush and lube may have solved my problem.

Do not use WD-40. It soon turns to glue.
Use a true penetrating lubricant to clean and lubricate brifters.

--
Michael Press
post #13 of 20

Re: Ultegra shifter repair

On Jan 23, 4:35 pm, "Fixed" <gibilaatdit...@senselan.ch> wrote:

> Checked your mail jet?

Those pictures are awesome. Unfortunately I now know why I couldn't
get it to work. In the first picture (with all parts laid out), the
fourth washer (from left top row) is broken on mine. The small tab
that holds the spring in place for the small lever is broken, that is
what was interfering with the down shifting. I am also missing the
spring, 7th item from left in second picture. Thanks again for the
pictures, these are worth a few thousand words.
post #14 of 20

Re: Ultegra shifter repair

On Jan 23, 5:14 pm, "Fixed" <gibilaatdit...@senselan.ch> wrote:

> Again, these pictures aren't mine, a pity it didn't help you to fix the
> shifters.
> But I'm glad they shed some light on the problem.
>
> Taeke

Yes, but now I know exactly what my problem is, all I need now is find
someone with a broken STI shifter which I can get for parts.
post #15 of 20

Re: Ultegra shifter repair

On Jan 23, 5:14 pm, "Fixed" <gibilaatdit...@senselan.ch> wrote:

> Again, these pictures aren't mine, a pity it didn't help you to fix the
> shifters.
> But I'm glad they shed some light on the problem.
>
> Taeke

Yes, but now I know exactly what my problem is, all I need now is find
someone with a broken STI shifter which I can get for parts.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Equipment