or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Waterproof alternative to Band-Aids?

post #1 of 5
About a week ago I scraped up my elbow/forearm pretty well on a sidewalk and since then a couple
scabs have formed. When I swim these scabs become very soft and, worse, a loose edge invariably
catches on the water resistance and over the course of an hour they start to peel away from my skin
to a significant and uncomfortable degree. I suspect this isn't doing the healing process any favors
either. After a week of this, today I put some large Band-Aids over the scabs hoping to at least
shield them from the water drag, but these lasted only about 200 yards before peeling off
themselves. Has anyone come up with a good solution to this problem? It seems like I need something
that will wrap entirely around the forearm and fit snugly if I expect it to stay on through several
thousand yards of swimming.

Thanks, Mark
post #2 of 5

Re: Waterproof alternative to Band-Aids?

"Mark P" <dont@email.me> wrote in message news:b8cfii02dnp@enews1.newsguy.com...
> healing process any favors either. After a week of this, today I put some large Band-Aids over the
> scabs hoping to at least shield them from the
water
> drag, but these lasted only about 200 yards before peeling off themselves. Has anyone come up with
> a good solution to this problem? It seems like I need something that will wrap entirely around the
> forearm and fit snugly
if
> I expect it to stay on through several thousand yards of swimming.

Have you tried the liquid Band-Aid stuff? I've not used it yet, but used a similar product years ago
called NewSkin or Nu-Skin, or something like that. It was breathable, waterproof and carried an
antiseptic - worked quite well.
post #3 of 5

Re: Waterproof alternative to Band-Aids?

Mark P says...

> Has anyone come up with a good solution to this problem? It seems like I need something that will
> wrap entirely around the forearm and fit snugly if I expect it to stay on through several
> thousand yards of swimming.

3M makes a line of waterproof bandages called Nexcare, which you should find in the store in the
same area as the regular Band-Aids. I've used them for swimming, and they work.

The only question is whether they make them big enough for what you want. Here's what I found
at 3m.com:

3M Nexcare Waterproof Bandages, Knee and Elbow 582-10 Waterproof Bandages, Knee and Elbow; 2-3/8
inch x 3-1/2 inch, 10 Bandages/box
post #4 of 5

Re: Waterproof alternative to Band-Aids?

"Mark P" <dont@email.me> wrote in message news:b8cfii02dnp@enews1.newsguy.com...
> About a week ago I scraped up my elbow/forearm pretty well on a sidewalk
and
> since then a couple scabs have formed. When I swim these scabs become
very
> soft and, worse, a loose edge invariably catches on the water resistance
and
> over the course of an hour they start to peel away from my skin to a significant and uncomfortable
> degree. I suspect this isn't doing the healing process any favors either. After a week of this,
> today I put some large Band-Aids over the scabs hoping to at least shield them from the
water
> drag, but these lasted only about 200 yards before peeling off themselves. Has anyone come up with
> a good solution to this problem? It seems like I need something that will wrap entirely around the
> forearm and fit snugly
if
> I expect it to stay on through several thousand yards of swimming.
>
> Thanks, Mark

Thanks for the many good suggestions. By now my condition has improved considerably but I'll keep
all of this in mind for the (inevitable) future injury.
post #5 of 5

Re: Waterproof alternative to Band-Aids?

I have used a thick coat of Desitin (the white diaper rash cream) on wounds before and it
worked for me.

Marianne

"mrdancer" <mrdancer@cox.your.underwear.net> wrote in message
> "Mark P" <dont@email.me> wrote in message news:b8cfii02dnp@enews1.newsguy.com...
> > healing process any favors either. After a week of this, today I put
some
> > large Band-Aids over the scabs hoping to at least shield them from the
> water
> > drag, but these lasted only about 200 yards before peeling off
themselves.
> > Has anyone come up with a good solution to this problem? It seems like
> > need something that will wrap entirely around the forearm and fit snugly
> if
> > I expect it to stay on through several thousand yards of swimming.
>
> Have you tried the liquid Band-Aid stuff? I've not used it yet, but used
> similar product years ago called NewSkin or Nu-Skin, or something like
that.
> It was breathable, waterproof and carried an antiseptic - worked quite
well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Fitness