or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Austin, TX vs. Atlanta, GA

post #1 of 4
I was just down in Austin for the SXSW Music. I crashed a buddy's place
and he had a BMX bike I could use to ride around town. Despite the fact
that a BMX is not my first choice for riding around a city, it was
definitely a joy to ride around Austin.

Atlanta is nice and my home and all that. But the mental environment
just ain't the same. Can't say I'd be too upset if I ended up living in
Austin.

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.

Re: Austin, TX vs. Atlanta, GA

Paul M. Hobson wrote:
> I was just down in Austin for the SXSW Music. I crashed a buddy's place
> and he had a BMX bike I could use to ride around town. Despite the fact
> that a BMX is not my first choice for riding around a city, it was
> definitely a joy to ride around Austin.
>
> Atlanta is nice and my home and all that. But the mental environment
> just ain't the same. Can't say I'd be too upset if I ended up living in
> Austin.
>
> \\paul

I have always heard good things about Austin. And Berkley.
post #3 of 4

Re: Austin, TX vs. Atlanta, GA

Just A User wrote:
> Paul M. Hobson wrote:
>> I was just down in Austin for the SXSW Music. I crashed a buddy's
>> place and he had a BMX bike I could use to ride around town. Despite
>> the fact that a BMX is not my first choice for riding around a city,
>> it was definitely a joy to ride around Austin.
>>
>> Atlanta is nice and my home and all that. But the mental environment
>> just ain't the same. Can't say I'd be too upset if I ended up living
>> in Austin.
>>
>> \\paul

My impression on trying to drive through Austin is that there is
tremendous vehicular congestion for a city its size, but apart from
that, it is a beautiful part of the state.

Hot summers, mild winters... Passable biking weather most of the time,
if you don't mind the heat. Personally, I don't mind it.
post #4 of 4

Re: Austin, TX vs. Atlanta, GA

Pat wrote:
> What I remember most about passing through Atlanta was how hilly it is.

It is hilly, but there are no sustained climbs around the Atlanta area.
Up in North GA where the Tour de Georgia goes can really be difficult
terrain for anyone. Some of the pros more suited for flat terrain have
to zig-zag up Brasstown Bald.

> And,
> how is the humidity in the summer time? I'll bet it's drier in Austin.

It is quite humid -- shade offers little relief in the summer. I
noticed on the hottest day in Austin, finding shade really did cool
things down.

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson