or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

low back pain and swim fins

post #1 of 5
"Carol" <googlemail2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:36f36d84.0308271622.19321f5a@posting.google.com...
> I have had severe low back pain for eight months. One of the few things I've been able to continue
> doing is swimming. I swim 30 laps a day, freestyle. I use Zoomers blue swim fins.
>
> Today someone suggested that the fins may be the reason my pain is not improving. I, on the other
> hand, believe the fins make it easier to maintain the straight body posture I need to avoid the
> back pain while swimming.
>
> I've been using the fins for about three years. I don't want to do anything drastic that could
> make my back worse. On the other hand if the fins are putting more stress on my lower back then
> maybe I shouldn't use them.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with fins and low back pain?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jane

I used to be very attached to my blue zoomers

I think the coach had them surgically removed!

I'd get lower back pain when I was out of alignment (not swimming, but chiropractic), I'd go see my
chiropractor. Second source of lower back pain was... muscle soreness. I haven't figured out which
muscles exactly, but there are couple of them there that when they're full of lactic acid, they are
sore in a very similar way to the lower back pain that is posture caused.

Now, you may have other lower back problems. I had mine checked out (x-rayed and examined). No bad
or pinched disks, nothing of the sorts. When I get out of alignment (sit ad my desk crooked for too
long -ahh, the desk jobs!), I end up straining couple of muscles, and get the spasms. They are most
uncomfortable, and the soreness is much like your'e about to pinch a disc. I had one minor pinch
years ago, and I couldn't walk for a week. It healed up and recovered nicely, but I remember the
type of the pain quite well.

When I do a lot of kicking drills, those muscles do get sore, and it feels like a sore back. There
is a very slight difference in the pain, that I'm just recently starting to recognize.

well, what I'm trying to say, have you seen a chiropractor and ruled out the typical lower back
problems? Also, if you're out of alignment, especially your hips, and if the way you kick is very
asymmetrical, you may be working those muscles to a point they get frequent spasms.

well, that's my experience, and certainly not all there is to lower back pain.
post #2 of 5

Re: low back pain and swim fins

Carol wrote:
> I have had severe low back pain for eight months. One of the few things I've been able to continue
> doing is swimming. I swim 30 laps a day, freestyle. I use Zoomers blue swim fins.
>
> Today someone suggested that the fins may be the reason my pain is not improving. I, on the other
> hand, believe the fins make it easier to maintain the straight body posture I need to avoid the
> back pain while swimming.
>
> I've been using the fins for about three years. I don't want to do anything drastic that could
> make my back worse. On the other hand if the fins are putting more stress on my lower back then
> maybe I shouldn't use them.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with fins and low back pain?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jane

I don't have any specific information-- it's probably best to talk to a doctor-- but the general
rule of thumb I hear from sports medics is that if it doesn't hurt it's ok to do.
post #3 of 5

Re: low back pain and swim fins

I have had lower back problems that were aggravated by using fins. In my case, the stronger muscle
contractions that I used when using fins was causing impingement on my sciatic nerve.

"Carol" <googlemail2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have had severe low back pain for eight months. One of the few things I've been able to continue
> doing is swimming. I swim 30 laps a day, freestyle. I use Zoomers blue swim fins.
>
> Today someone suggested that the fins may be the reason my pain is not improving. I, on the other
> hand, believe the fins make it easier to maintain the straight body posture I need to avoid the
> back pain while swimming.
>
> I've been using the fins for about three years. I don't want to do anything drastic that could
> make my back worse. On the other hand if the fins are putting more stress on my lower back then
> maybe I shouldn't use them.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with fins and low back pain?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jane
post #4 of 5

Re: low back pain and swim fins

I have had wonderful success with my red zoomers when my back goes "out". When I get to a point
where I cannot even walk without grabbing onto things as I move along, I go to the pool and put on
those fins....but the trick is to kick on your BACK with them with your arms outstretched over your
head and tight against your head. I find the fins provide the resistance I need to get those muscles
working a deep slow kick. It has had amazing results for me...taking me from arriving at the pool
doubled over in pain to being able to get out of the pool standing upright after about 2000 yards of
kicking on my back (NO flip turns when the back is out this badly). At its worst, I cannot do
freestyle for several days..just kicking on my back with fins, but the pain improves with each
session I do until I am cured (until the next back attack).

Marianne

"Carol" <googlemail2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have had severe low back pain for eight months. One of the few things I've been able to continue
> doing is swimming. I swim 30 laps a day, freestyle. I use Zoomers blue swim fins.
>
> Today someone suggested that the fins may be the reason my pain is not improving. I, on the other
> hand, believe the fins make it easier to maintain the straight body posture I need to avoid the
> back pain while swimming.
>
> I've been using the fins for about three years. I don't want to do anything drastic that could
> make my back worse. On the other hand if the fins are putting more stress on my lower back then
> maybe I shouldn't use them.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with fins and low back pain?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jane
post #5 of 5

"MSEagan" <swimgiraffe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have had wonderful success with my red zoomers when my back goes "out". When I get to a point
> where I cannot even walk without grabbing onto
things
> as I move along, I go to the pool and put on those fins....but the trick is to kick on your BACK
> with them with your arms outstretched over your
head
> and tight against your head. I find the fins provide the resistance I need to get those muscles
> working a deep slow kick.

Ooooh oh oh, yes! That feels good!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home