or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

8spd cogs on 9spd campy freehub?

post #1 of 3
Can I run an 8spd cogset on a 9spd-era Campagnolo freehub? Any gotchas?

Morgan
post #2 of 3

Re: 8spd cogs on 9spd campy freehub?

"Morgan Fletcher" <morgan@hahaha.org> wrote in message news:jzsfzrkabp0.fsf@bolt.sonic.net...
> Can I run an 8spd cogset on a 9spd-era Campagnolo freehub?

Sure can. The 8 speed cogs slide right on.

> Any gotchas?

You bet there are. Because the 8 speed cogs are designed to go on a steel freehub, the splines
aren't nearly as deep as the 9 speed ones, so when you pedal hard, they'll turn and dig in to the
aluminium. Makes it difficult to get them off, and pretty much stuffs the freehub.

Regards,

Suzy

--
---
Suzy Jackson suzyj@bigpond.com http://www.suzyj.net

Re: 8spd cogs on 9spd campy freehub?

morgan-<< Can I run an 8spd cogset on a 9spd-era Campagnolo freehub? Any gotchas?

Alstho they will lide on, the steel cogs don't grab a lot of metal of the aluminum freehub, not a
good idea. I would get loose 9s cogs and space to 8s with either black Campagnolo 8s spacers or red
Wheels spacers.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Equipment