New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grease for threads - Page 2

post #16 of 20

Re: Grease for threads

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Dave wrote:

> "Tom Anderson" <twic@urchin.earth.li> wrote in message
> SNIP
>
>> I am now on the lookout for some copper grease.
>>
>> I tried two bike shops and a tool shop this lunchtime, and no joy. I don't
>> think there's a Halford's anywhere near me. Oh, Stoke Newington,
>> apparently. Anyway, there's bound to be a hardware shop somewhere in town
>> that will sell it - maybe Robert Dyas, or the random tool shop a few doors
>> up from it.

> Many car accessory shops are likely to sell it as it is commonly used to
> grease brake shoes as they enter the calliper (obviously not the pads).

There don't seem to be many car accessory shops in inner London, though.
Probably because not a lot of people drive cars there.

tom

--
VTEC Just Kicked in, Yo!!
post #17 of 20

Re: Grease for threads

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:14:50 +0100
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:

> And no, good car parts shops are not in dingy backstreets, they are
> gone for the most part.

There are several within a couple of miles of me, in a medium
sized town. Maybe you live in an area where everyone uses main dealers
so there's little demand from small garages or home mechanics.
post #18 of 20

Re: Grease for threads

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Rob Morley wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:14:50 +0100
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:
>
>> And no, good car parts shops are not in dingy backstreets, they are
>> gone for the most part.

> There are several within a couple of miles of me, in a medium sized
> town. Maybe you live in an area where everyone uses main dealers so
> there's little demand from small garages or home mechanics.

Grease update: i went past a car parts shop in a dingy backstreet this
lunchtime, and went in to ask for copper grease. Apparently they only have
one tub in stock at a time, since it's not a very popular item, and they'd
recently sold it. "Try City Hardware, down the road". City Hardware had
lithium grease, but not copper (that's similar, innit?), and directed me
to City Belts and Bearings, in a nearby industrial estate, at which point
i made my excuses and left.

Mr Dyas and another local tool shop await ...

tom

--
IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!
post #19 of 20

Re: Grease for threads

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:44:31 +0100
Tom Anderson <twic@urchin.earth.li> wrote:

> Grease update: i went past a car parts shop in a dingy backstreet
> this lunchtime, and went in to ask for copper grease. Apparently they
> only have one tub in stock at a time, since it's not a very popular
> item

I'm not overly surprised - I bought a tube of it at least 18 years ago
(and used it on several Minis) and I still have some, so a tub must last
forever.

These people will send you a big tube for £5.95
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=1413

I almost feel obliged to check out the local suppliers to see if they
have stock. :-)
post #20 of 20

Re: Grease for threads

> Grease update: i went past a car parts shop in a dingy backstreet this
> lunchtime, and went in to ask for copper grease. Apparently they only have
> one tub in stock at a time, since it's not a very popular item, and they'd
> recently sold it. "Try City Hardware, down the road". City Hardware had
> lithium grease, but not copper (that's similar, innit?), and directed me
> to City Belts and Bearings, in a nearby industrial estate, at which point
> i made my excuses and left.

Tee hee.

I live in (ok, a little outside) a small rural town, population 3000 or so.
I know of at least three places where I'd stand a good chance of picking up
a pot of it, and the furthest is about 1.25 miles away :-)

(I'd also stand a good chance in Cambridge, but no real idea about other
towns)

cheers,
clive
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: