or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Normandy cones

post #1 of 4
I've got a high flange Normandy hub from a 1970s Motobecane Mirage that I bought at the thrift
store. I like the look of these high flange hubs, and I gave this one an overhaul. The bearing
surfaces are in good shape, but one of the cones is pitted, so I figured I'd replace the bearings
and cones. Little did I realize that these are unique cones.

LBS has a Campy axle (with different thread) and says that the cones are similar enough, but
obvoiusly you need the Campy axle and the Campy cones (~$30).

That's probably what I'll do, because the axle looks pretty beat up, and I don't mind replacing it.

But I would still like to know if there's a solution to this using a 9mm x 1mm alxe. Anybody know?
Also, if using the Campy axle, are there limitations on which Campy cones will work?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce
post #2 of 4

Re: Normandy cones

> When you say 9x1 you mean a front hub, right?

Yes it's a front.

> Use any current Shimano or Jo You or similar axle set for 10x10 3/16" balls .

Thanks Andrew. I think I misspoke at the LBS and said Malliard rather than Normandy. There were some
unique Malliard axles and cones (even other than Helicomatic) , weren't there? I took a closer look
at it just now and I see that you are right.

My mistake!

-Bruce-
post #3 of 4

Re: Normandy cones

> When you say 9x1 you mean a front hub, right?

Yes it's a front.

> Use any current Shimano or Jo You or similar axle set for 10x10 3/16" balls .

Thanks Andrew. I think I misspoke at the LBS and said Malliard rather than Normandy. There were some
unique Malliard axles and cones (even other than Helicomatic) , weren't there? I took a closer look
at it just now and I see that you are right.

My mistake!

-Bruce-
post #4 of 4

Campy cones

"A Muzi", an authority, wrote in another thread:

> The currently supplied Campagnolo front hubs that use 10x10 3/16" balls are so abysmally awful
> that a pitted Normandy cone would be an improvement.
Does this mean I should replace the bearings on my new Chorus front hub (which has not even been
ridden yet)? Brian Plaugher
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Equipment