or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Planning to purchase a bike to commute 12 miles in NYC. What do Ineed?

post #1 of 7
On Jun 20, 10:36 am, Ned <1crazyri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I live 12 miles from work and I want to commute by bike this summer to
> lose weight. I started looking at used bikes and then I saw mention of
> a "commuter bike" and someone else mentioned "great tires for city
> riding", and that's when I realized that after 20 years of not riding
> a bike I need to update my understanding of bike technology before I
> buy anything. Can anyone tell me what to look for? or give me a
> resource that can help me choose a bike for commuting? I have a
> laptop that I need to take to work and back home. I do not know if a
> backpack would be the best thing, I have seen what I think are called
> trailers.

http://commutebybike.com/

post #2 of 7

Re: Planning to purchase a bike to commute 12 miles in NYC. What do I need?

In article
<9413ef89-72d4-4b26-b962-91159b5bb7b3@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
Ned <1crazyrican@gmail.com> wrote:

> I live 12 miles from work and I want to commute by bike this summer to
> lose weight. I started looking at used bikes and then I saw mention of
> a "commuter bike" and someone else mentioned "great tires for city
> riding", and that's when I realized that after 20 years of not riding
> a bike I need to update my understanding of bike technology before I
> buy anything. Can anyone tell me what to look for? or give me a
> resource that can help me choose a bike for commuting? I have a
> laptop that I need to take to work and back home. I do not know if a
> backpack would be the best thing, I have seen what I think are called
> trailers.
>
> thanks!

Short, unexplained answer:

If you have spent 20 years off of a bike, and you aren't especially
mechanically incline, I would recommend going to your bike shop and
buying a bicycle with flat bars, slick ("road") tires, and (preferably)
700c wheels, though 26" is acceptable. If it's a choice, I would suggest
getting a bike that has a rigid fork rather than a suspension fork.

Do NOT get one with rear suspension. You are unlikely to buy a bicycle
with rear suspension that is suitable to your needs. A suspension
seatpost is a different matter: okay, but not necessary.

I recommend a rear rack and a saddlebag for your laptop. A 12-mile
commute will take you about an hour at first, and you will be happier
with that weight off of your back.

If you intend to ride rain or shine, get full fenders; do not be tempted
by "rat tail" or "deflector shield" fenders, which are not nearly as
nice.

A bike such as I have described will cost $300-1000.

Specific models I would consider: Giant FCR3, Trek Soho 1.0, Kona Dew.

The base-model Dew especially impresses me as having boringly reliable
components at a really sensible price. But this isn't a list of
ridden-and-recommended bikes; this is a list of bikes that look like
good commuter bikes and will work well. If you go to the corporate
websites, look at the bicycles I'm suggesting, and then go to your local
shop, you can probably find a similar bicycle among the brands they
carry, even if they don't carry Trek/Giant/Kona.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcousine@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/
post #3 of 7

Re: Planning to purchase a bike to commute 12 miles in NYC. What do Ineed?

On Jun 20, 10:36 am, Ned <1crazyri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I live 12 miles from work and I want to commute by bike this summer to
> lose weight. I started looking at used bikes and then I saw mention of
> a "commuter bike" and someone else mentioned "great tires for city
> riding", and that's when I realized that after 20 years of not riding
> a bike I need to update my understanding of bike technology before I
> buy anything. Can anyone tell me what to look for? or give me a
> resource that can help me choose a bike for commuting?  I have a
> laptop that I need to take to work and back home. I do not know if a
> backpack would be the best thing, I have seen what I think are called
> trailers.
>
> thanks!

Where are you commuting from/to? I'm in Ditmas Park BK and commute to
midtown Manhattan via the Brooklyn Bridge.

Trailer would be excessive, but a basket or panniers might fit the
bill. If you're locking up outside, less is most definitely more in
terms of weight and bike theivery.

Scott
post #4 of 7

"Ned" <1crazyrican@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I live 12 miles from work and I want to commute by bike this summer to
> lose weight. I started looking at used bikes and then I saw mention of
> a "commuter bike" and someone else mentioned "great tires for city
> riding", and that's when I realized that after 20 years of not riding
> a bike I need to update my understanding of bike technology before I
> buy anything. Can anyone tell me what to look for? or give me a
> resource that can help me choose a bike for commuting? I have a
> laptop that I need to take to work and back home. I do not know if a
> backpack would be the best thing, I have seen what I think are called
> trailers.

Are you able to store the bike inside safely or outside unsafely? This makes
a significant difference to what would be suggested.
post #5 of 7

On Jun 20, 4:10 pm, Scott Gordo <blubberp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 20, 10:36 am, Ned <1crazyri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I live 12 miles from work and I want to commute by bike this summer to
> > lose weight. I started looking at used bikes and then I saw mention of
> > a "commuter bike" and someone else mentioned "great tires for city
> > riding", and that's when I realized that after 20 years of not riding
> > a bike I need to update my understanding of bike technology before I
> > buy anything. Can anyone tell me what to look for? or give me a
> > resource that can help me choose a bike for commuting?  I have a
> > laptop that I need to take to work and back home. I do not know if a
> > backpack would be the best thing, I have seen what I think are called
> > trailers.

> > thanks!

> Where are you commuting from/to? I'm in Ditmas Park BK and commute to
> midtown Manhattan via the Brooklyn Bridge.
>
> Trailer would be excessive, but a basket or panniers might fit the
> bill. If you're locking up outside, less is most definitely more in
> terms of weight and bike theivery.

More can be more as well. A couple Wald baskets on a rack can make any
bike look less attractive to thieves. . Didn't catch the Manhattan
location at first. Try to buy used if locking outside. Buy as much as
you can afford to have stolen. Surely there are tons of bike
collectives that can help cobble something fantastically ugly yet
practical together.
post #6 of 7

On Jun 20, 4:20 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "Ned" <1crazyri...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I live 12 miles from work and I want to commute by bike this summer to
> > lose weight. I started looking at used bikes and then I saw mention of
> > a "commuter bike" and someone else mentioned "great tires for city
> > riding", and that's when I realized that after 20 years of not riding
> > a bike I need to update my understanding of bike technology before I
> > buy anything. Can anyone tell me what to look for? or give me a
> > resource that can help me choose a bike for commuting?  I have a
> > laptop that I need to take to work and back home. I do not know if a
> > backpack would be the best thing, I have seen what I think are called
> > trailers.

> Are you able to store the bike inside safely or outside unsafely? This makes
> a significant difference to what would be suggested.

If you are locking up outside, you will need a heavy duty U-lock.
Also, covering the frame with electrical tape (won't leave glue
residue) then with duct tape (will leave glue residue on the
electrical tape) to lower the apparent value is handy.
http://www.breezerbikes.com has a good laptop specific pannier, an
open shopping pannier, and a regular pannier on the other side.
post #7 of 7

Re: Planning to purchase a bike to commute 12 miles in NYC. What do I need?

In article
<9413ef89-72d4-4b26-b962-91159b5bb7b3@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
Ned <1crazyrican@gmail.com> wrote:

> I live 12 miles from work and I want to commute by bike this summer to
> lose weight. I started looking at used bikes and then I saw mention of
> a "commuter bike" and someone else mentioned "great tires for city
> riding", and that's when I realized that after 20 years of not riding
> a bike I need to update my understanding of bike technology before I
> buy anything. Can anyone tell me what to look for? or give me a
> resource that can help me choose a bike for commuting? I have a
> laptop that I need to take to work and back home. I do not know if a
> backpack would be the best thing, I have seen what I think are called
> trailers.

Slick tires.
Rack.
Pannier.

Plenty of work fitting a bicycle and adapting your
body to the requirements of propelling the bicycle.

Adapt to riding a bicycle in traffic. Don't panic.
When in doubt pull over and onto the sidewalk then
stop and take inventory.

I think you should go for drop handle bars and
learn to use them. Get them about saddle height
or a little lower at first, then allow for dropping
them. You might (nay will) eventually buy another
bicycle when you have learned from the first.

--
Michael Press
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: