or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cantilever brake set-up question:

post #1 of 2
What is the best way to set-up Cantilever brakes between a straddle cable and carrier, or to use the
Z-Link wire? Does one have the advantage/disadvantage over the other?

This is for a road bike: I have the Dia Compe 986 brakes and will be using them with Dia Compe SS7
levers on a Rivendell curved "Dove" bar. (just a city bike) I may in the future go with a drop bar
and Shimano road aero (non-STI) levers. -tom
post #2 of 2

Re: Cantilever brake set-up question:

Thanks Sheldon for the brief history and "links" (no-pun) to the Cantilever sites. I particularly
read the article on "Mechanical Advantage" To my surprise, I didn't know you can "Overdo it" with
brakes, coming from a single pivot side-pull brake rider. As I can't recall ever locking em up. I
also like the advice of the link wire because it eliminates the cable play as when using the
yoke...makes sense. Very useful information. thanks, -tom

"Sheldon Brown" <CaptBike@sheldonbrown.com> wrote in message
> Tom Nakashima wrote:
>
> > What is the best way to set-up Cantilever brakes between a straddle
cable
> > and carrier, or to use the Z-Link wire? Does one have the advantage/disadvantage
over
> > the other?
>
> The link wire system can slighly increase available travel, becaue there are no open bends in the
> cable when the brake is in the "rest" positoin. With systems that use a yoke and separate
> transverse cable, the transverse cable usually sits with a curve on either side of the yoke. When
> you apply the brake, some of the available lever travel is consumed in straightening out this
> curve. A properly installed link wire system doesn't have this problem.
>
> The main reason for the development of the link wire system, however was to avoid wheel lockup in
> the event the main cable should break. There were a rash of such accidents in the 1980s, where the
> main cable would let go, then the transverse cable would snag on the knobs of MTB tires, causing
> lockup of the brake and ensuing accidents (and lawsuits.) The link wire (and, later the "v brake")
> were developed primarily in response to this problem.
>
> The only disadvantage of the link wire system is that you don't have the fine adjustability
> of length of the "virtual" transverse cable, though link wires are available in a decent
> range of sizes.
>
> > This is for a road bike: I have the Dia Compe 986 brakes and will be using them with Dia Compe
SS7
> > levers on a Rivendell curved "Dove" bar. (just a city bike) I may in the future go with a drop
> > bar and Shimano road aero (non-STI) levers.
>
> You might find my Cantilever articles useful.
>
> For practical advice, see:
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-adjustment.html
>
> For the theoretical background, see:
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html
>
> Sheldon "Cant Stop" Brown +---------------------------------------------------------+
> | "Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, | it might be, and if it were so, it
> | would be; | but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic!" | --Lewis Carroll, "Through the Looking
> | Glass" |
> Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
> shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: