or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Cycling Equipment › Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics? - Page 71  

post #1051 of 1823

Re: Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietmar View Post
What's the point of this thread?
These guys are wackos, of course, but that goes without saying.
Expect more "whackos" coming to your hometown soon (assuming you are in Chicago). SCOTUS just said they would hear McDonald vs Chicago, which would incorporate the 2nd Amendment to all states and invalidates Chicago's gun ban.

Recalling the lead story last October - US should pull out of Chicago: more Americans killed in Chicago than Iraq - are you seriously expecting it to get much worse?
post #1052 of 1823

Re: Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzackery View Post
bumparooski...
bumparooski...
post #1053 of 1823
Thread Starter 

Re: Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?

Fear is a prime motivator for some, maybe many, possibly a majority...
post #1054 of 1823

Re: Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamspringett View Post
Just ban guns. Easy.

Trouble is, there are so many floating round the US that the problem won't go away.

Shoulda banned em from the word go.

I shall now go and hide before the entire population of the US lets rip at me! You guys I suppose need guns to protect yourself from other gun-carrying low-lifes.

Different country, different standards. I am shocked that people carry guns while riding but I won't criticise them. Here in Australia I am not likely to run into a gun-toting drunk. You blokes are, so you fight fire with fire.

Shame Shimano or Campag can't integrate them into the shifters though
After guns were fully banned in Australia, violent crime shot up 400%, yeah really good idea there down under , keep 'em coming.
post #1055 of 1823

Re: Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzackery View Post
Fear is a prime motivator for some, maybe many, possibly a majority...
Seatbelts and spare tire in your car? Primarily motivated by a fear of danger on the roads?

Smoke alarms and fire extinguishers in your home? Primarily motivated by a fear of burning in a fire?

First aid kit in the cupboard and hand sanitizer in the bathroom? Primarily motivated by a fear of sudden illness, injugy or contagion?

All signs of paranoia, insecurity and fanatical fear?

No - just what is broadly accepted as common sense preparation for unexpected and often uncontrollable risks of everyday life.

Fear of guns and people who own and carry guns? Afraid those guns will go off and kill you? Afraid that once the cold gunmetal touches your hands you will suddenly crack and start shooting?

Now that's paranoia.

But seriously, I've gotta get me a carbon compact Glock - it just wouldn't make sense carrying a heavy metal piece on my new carbon Cervelo P2. Yes - I know - that carbon water bottle holder won't make me faster. Just call me a bike fanatic.
post #1056 of 1823
Thread Starter 

Re: Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjesseeNH View Post
Seatbelts and spare tire in your car? Primarily motivated by a fear of danger on the roads?

Smoke alarms and fire extinguishers in your home? Primarily motivated by a fear of burning in a fire?

First aid kit in the cupboard and hand sanitizer in the bathroom? Primarily motivated by a fear of sudden illness, injugy or contagion?

All signs of paranoia, insecurity and fanatical fear?

No - just what is broadly accepted as common sense preparation for unexpected and often uncontrollable risks of everyday life.

Fear of guns and people who own and carry guns? Afraid those guns will go off and kill you? Afraid that once the cold gunmetal touches your hands you will suddenly crack and start shooting?

Now that's paranoia.

But seriously, I've gotta get me a carbon compact Glock - it just wouldn't make sense carrying a heavy metal piece on my new carbon Cervelo P2. Yes - I know - that carbon water bottle holder won't make me faster. Just call me a bike fanatic.
Apples and oranges...but if your scenarios involve the same logic for you (apparently they do) as does carrying a gun while cycling, then the issue (IMO) is with your ability, or lack thereof, to reason...nevertheless, your beliefs are your own and you have a right to them...
post #1057 of 1823

Re: Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?

If you want to know what I think (I assume you do as you have asked) I think everyone has different experiences in life and different reactions to those experiences so if some law abiding sensible person in a country that allows it carries a gun for the purpose of self defence then why should I say anything against them.
Strange how on a cycling forum you get people who try to sway others opinions by writing threads like this.
post #1058 of 1823
Thread Starter 

Re: Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyeater View Post
If you want to know what I think (I assume you do as you have asked) I think everyone has different experiences in life and different reactions to those experiences so if some law abiding sensible person in a country that allows it carries a gun for the purpose of self defence then why should I say anything against them.
Strange how on a cycling forum you get people who try to sway others opinions by writing threads like this.
...and some people react extremely to those experiences in their lives and hence become paranoid...I have been involved in several car accidents - do I now install a 10pt roll cage and wear a full face helmet with neck roll ala NASCAR????

Strange how on a cycling forum there will be opinions throughout the spectrum...thank you for sharing yours...please come again...
post #1059 of 1823

Re: Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?

I think that what you write does not make sense. If someone has been mugged or attacked in the past it would be a fool who accuses them of being paranoid if they fear the same thing happening again. What I suggest you do is not carry a gun and not worry about those that do. Sound advice no?
post #1060 of 1823
Thread Starter 

Re: Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyeater View Post
I think that what you write does not make sense. If someone has been mugged or attacked in the past it would be a fool who accuses them of being paranoid if they fear the same thing happening again. What I suggest you do is not carry a gun and not worry about those that do. Sound advice no?
No.

No worry on my part. Thought provoking question on my part. Glad to see your thought was provoked, though to me you're also comparing apples and oranges. I've already acknowledged fear is an extremely powerful motivator for some, if not many. Fear, in some, can progress into paranoia. Being fearful is one thing, packing deadly force when cycling for recreation is another...Appears to me you should try reading some of the previous entries on this thread...

Please come again...
post #1061 of 1823

Re: Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzackery View Post
No.
Being fearful is one thing, packing deadly force when cycling for recreation is another...Please come again...
I'll come for you...
If being fearful is one thing, then doing something about it is another.

If packing a piece romoves the fearfulness then it is positive.

Remaining fearful and doing nothing is negative.
post #1062 of 1823

Re: Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzackery View Post
No.

No worry on my part. Thought provoking question on my part. Glad to see your thought was provoked, though to me you're also comparing apples and oranges. I've already acknowledged fear is an extremely powerful motivator for some, if not many. Fear, in some, can progress into paranoia. Being fearful is one thing, packing deadly force when cycling for recreation is another...Appears to me you should try reading some of the previous entries on this thread...

Please come again...
So from what you have just writen the paranoid aspect has nothing to do with the act of carrying a gun it just happens to be something that can occur in some humans.
As for reading other entries in this thread, why? Do you think that what someone writes on here is going to or should change my view on the subject? Or that what has been writen previously negates my point of view or logic?
Being blunt I think you are quite imature for two reasons firstly the way you worded your thread it is antogonistic and confrontational (proabably a good indicator that you should not carry a gun) and secondly because it appears you are incappable of relating to someone elses experiences. You say without any sort of evidence that the minority of people carry a gun because of something happening to them in the past but I would question that at least in the sense that you quite clearly have just assumed it and stated it as fact without any grounds.
post #1063 of 1823
Thread Starter 

Re: Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyeater View Post
So from what you have just writen the paranoid aspect has nothing to do with the act of carrying a gun it just happens to be something that can occur in some humans.
As for reading other entries in this thread, why? Do you think that what someone writes on here is going to or should change my view on the subject? Or that what has been writen previously negates my point of view or logic?
Being blunt I think you are quite imature for two reasons firstly the way you worded your thread it is antogonistic and confrontational (proabably a good indicator that you should not carry a gun) and secondly because it appears you are incappable of relating to someone elses experiences. You say without any sort of evidence that the minority of people carry a gun because of something happening to them in the past but I would question that at least in the sense that you quite clearly have just assumed it and stated it as fact without any grounds.
LOL! Don't get your panties bunched up pal...this is the internet afterall, where amateur psychologists can flourish in anonymity...I'd like to get up off the couch now, if you don't mind...

Your ad hominem argument is not entertaining for me...
post #1064 of 1823

Re: Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?

I don't disagree with what you write because I think you are immature I think you are immature because of what you write. If you choose to misinterpret what I write there is little I can do but stop conversing with you.
post #1065 of 1823
Thread Starter 

Re: Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyeater View Post
I don't disagree with what you write because I think you are immature I think you are immature because of what you write. If you choose to misinterpret what I write there is little I can do but stop conversing with you.
And your opinion is worth just a little less than what I paid for it......next...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Equipment
This thread is locked  
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Cycling Equipment › Are cyclists that carry guns paranoid and insecure gun fanatics?