Child's aluninum bike

Just Zis Guy

Guest
I'm looking for a 20" wheeled aluminium framed bike with gears for my
seven-year-old.

Plenty of Cro-Mo Y-frame designs out there, some of which can be
lifted by as few as two gorillas (provided lifting equipment is
supplied). Not quite what's wanted! We want a "proper" rideable
bike.

No suspension required, either. Pete's just a little man and doesn't
need the extra weight.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:05:27 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm looking for a 20" wheeled aluminium framed bike with gears for my seven-year-old.
>
>Plenty of Cro-Mo Y-frame designs out there, some of which can be lifted by as few as two
>gorillas (provided lifting equipment is supplied). Not quite what's wanted! We want a "proper"
>rideable bike.
>
>No suspension required, either. Pete's just a little man and doesn't need the extra weight.
>
>Guy
>===
>May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
>http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

I bought theScott bike I postedf about earlier (http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=4845). Not
massively light but seeing as it comes with all the kit (dynamo lights, rack, mudguards, stand) it
is a lot more reasonable in weight than most 'kids' bikes.

My 7 yr old daughter only needs it to ride 0.5 miles to school[1] and the odd 3 or 4 miles to the
beach/friend's/grandparents' so I rated ruggedness, usability & year round practicality over pure
performance.

[1] I know I shouldn't be so weak but since my crash I've had so much scorn directed atr me for
doing something as daft as ride a bike that I am getting cold feet about letting my children out
on the roads again. Maybe I'll feel better when i'm allowed out again!

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:

> I'm looking for a 20" wheeled aluminium framed bike with gears for my seven-year-old.
>
> Plenty of Cro-Mo Y-frame designs out there, some of which can be lifted by as few as two
> gorillas (provided lifting equipment is supplied). Not quite what's wanted! We want a "proper"
> rideable bike.

I don't have kids myself, so my experience is somewhat limited, but I do take part in a group which
does rides which are mainly organised for children. On 3rd January we did a loop of ten miles
involving 250 metres of ascent. We had with us about thirty children from seven upwards, and the
younger ones in particular were mostly riding old, ropey, not especially well maintained kids bikes
- one of them even a singlespeed. They all finished the course faster than 30% of the adults, and
none of them complained at all.

Kids seem to have a lot better stength to weight ratio than us oldies! Having said that, there do
seem to be some quite reasonably specified very small Scotts.

There are no messages. The above is just a random stream of bytes. Any opinion or meaning
you find in it is your own creation.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm looking for a 20" wheeled aluminium framed bike with gears for my seven-year-old.

Trek MT Track 60

(20", 6 speed gripshift, Silver/White so male & female appeal)

<http://www.trekbike.co.uk/bikes/2004/kids/20/mt_track60.php>

I bought one for Thomas (6 1/2) last October. It has front suspension (not wanted but the MT Jet
is only single speed), but _very_ adjustable: rotating stem and TWO drillings for pedals. I expect
about 3 years use from it. It has eyelets for rack and guards, but I haven't found any
satisfactory guards yet. It is fitted with a stand, which I think stops Thomas just dropping it
and running (he has to prop it up or it stays in the garage!). Weight is about 25lbs and build is
demonstrably kid proof.

I had the shop replace the Knoblies with BMX 100psi tyres for no charge.

About 180 pounds (ouch), but I have another son to recoup some of the damage, three further nephews,
and the bike will _still_ retain 30-50% of it's value when I come to sell it on. (Well this argument
worked for my wife anyway!)

If your son is a Kona man, then they also have a model (which I preferred the look of, but the
standover height was 1" higher so it didn't fit Thomas when he needed it). The Trek Adjustable
cranks did it for me.

You _will_ notice the difference in weight, especially on that first hill.

Happy hunting, there is a shortage of this model, as my neighbour found when she bought the same
model on my advice.

Try Newbury cycles, that's where we bought ours.

Kind regards,

Daren

Remove outer garment for reply

In message <[email protected]>, "[Not Responding]"
<[email protected]> writes
>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:10:26 +0000, Al <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:21:24 +0000, "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>I bought theScott bike I postedf about earlier (http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=4845).
>>>Not massively light but seeing as it comes with all the kit (dynamo lights, rack, mudguards,
>>>stand) it is a lot more reasonable in weight than most 'kids' bikes.
>>
>>Useful link, thanks. Do you mind me asking "roughly how much?" There's no info on the site.
>
>IIRC, about 200ukp. Most other *half-decent* child's bikes seemed to be around 150ukp so I reckoned
>the 'extras' made it ok value.
>
>>Oh, where from?

I should imagine any Scott dealer could get it if they wanted, I suspect it would be a good bike
shop that sold a kids bike with dynamo, mudguards etc.

An example GBP 219:

<http://www.jdcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=1/3/11/607>
--
Chris French, Leeds

In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> writes
>I'm looking for a 20" wheeled aluminium framed bike with gears for my seven-year-old.
>
>Plenty of Cro-Mo Y-frame designs out there, some of which can be lifted by as few as two
>gorillas (provided lifting equipment is supplied). Not quite what's wanted! We want a "proper"
>rideable bike.

The was an article by CJ in the CTC rag a few years ago about kids bikes
- the weight issue was a big bug bear of his, the other was the crank length on many bikes - being
much too long in proportion.
--
Chris French, Leeds

"[Not Responding]" wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:05:27 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I'm looking for a 20" wheeled aluminium framed bike with gears for my seven-year-old.
>
> I bought theScott bike I postedf about earlier (http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=4845). Not
> massively light but seeing as it comes with all the kit (dynamo lights, rack, mudguards, stand) it
> is a lot more reasonable in weight than most 'kids' bikes.

That's no good for Guy. The pedals are lower than the saddle.

John B

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I bought theScott bike I postedf about earlier (http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=4845). Not
>massively light but seeing as it comes with all the kit (dynamo lights, rack, mudguards, stand) it
>is a lot more reasonable in weight than most 'kids' bikes.

Useful link, thanks. Do you mind me asking "roughly how much?" There's no info on the site.

Oh, where from?

>My 7 yr old daughter only needs it to ride 0.5 miles to school[1] and the odd 3 or 4 miles to the
>beach/friend's/grandparents' so I rated ruggedness, usability & year round practicality over pure
>performance.
>
>[1] I know I shouldn't be so weak but since my crash I've had so much scorn directed atr me for
> doing something as daft as ride a bike that I am getting cold feet about letting my children
> out on the roads again. Maybe I'll feel better when i'm allowed out again!

She'll be much more cautious for having seen you. I'm sure the scorn comes from a sense of guilt
that they, too, have failed to see cyclists and had near misses.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [1] I know I shouldn't be so weak but since my crash I've had so much scorn directed atr me for
> doing something as daft as ride a bike that I am getting cold feet about letting my children
> out on the roads again. Maybe I'll feel better when i'm allowed out again!

Amazing, isn't it, that it should be your fault for cycling not some numpty's fault for knocking you
off. Cager's protective self-delusion setting in, I think.

If you are concerned about road cycling and small people, I thoroughly recommend the Thorn childback
tandems and triplets. I've said that before I think :)

I still owe you a phone call. I broke Michael's Fying Scotsman this weekend so I had to try to
fix it :-(

--
Guy
===

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:21:24 +0000, "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I bought theScott bike I postedf about earlier (http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=4845). Not
>>massively light but seeing as it comes with all the kit (dynamo lights, rack, mudguards, stand) it
>>is a lot more reasonable in weight than most 'kids' bikes.
>
>Useful link, thanks. Do you mind me asking "roughly how much?" There's no info on the site.

IIRC, about 200ukp. Most other *half-decent* child's bikes seemed to be around 150ukp so I reckoned
the 'extras' made it ok value.

>Oh, where from?

The Scott site lists uk dealers, somehwre. I just found my nearest (Soton, Hargroves Cycles?) & gave
them a ring. They charged me a tenner extra and delivered it.

>>My 7 yr old daughter only needs it to ride 0.5 miles to school[1] and the odd 3 or 4 miles to the
>>beach/friend's/grandparents' so I rated ruggedness, usability & year round practicality over pure
>>performance.
>>
>>[1] I know I shouldn't be so weak but since my crash I've had so much scorn directed atr me for
>> doing something as daft as ride a bike that I am getting cold feet about letting my children
>> out on the roads again. Maybe I'll feel better when i'm allowed out again!
>
>She'll be much more cautious for having seen you. I'm sure the scorn comes from a sense of guilt
>that they, too, have failed to see cyclists and had near misses.
>
>Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Only outstanding defect is this bloody arm. Have two appts at the krankenhaus this week and am
optomistic they will (a) let me take the sling off and (b) not tell me to have an operation. if I
have any more xrays, I'll be buried i n a leadlined coffin nr Sellafield.

Now here's a question. At some point I will be deemed fit enough to take charge of a *big*, *fast*
car. What's the vbetting the doc will, at thye same time, advise me not to cycle for a while?

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:16:24 -0000, "Danny Colyer"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>He's right, Guy. Pete needs a KMX Kart, or maybe a Terracycle or a Zoulou:

Pete has ridden the KMX and loves it - pester power is being applied.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:33:55 +0000, "[Not Responding]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:10:26 +0000, Al <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Useful link, thanks. Do you mind me asking "roughly how much?" There's no info on the site.
>
>IIRC, about 200ukp. Most other *half-decent* child's bikes seemed to be around 150ukp so I reckoned
>the 'extras' made it ok value.

Thanks. That seems reasonable.

>>Oh, where from?
>
>The Scott site lists uk dealers, somehwre. I just found my nearest (Soton, Hargroves Cycles?) &
>gave them a ring. They charged me a tenner extra and delivered it.

Shame their branch in Bitterne closed. Now you have to go all the way over to Millbrook.

>Only outstanding defect is this bloody arm. Have two appts at the krankenhaus this week and am
>optomistic they will (a) let me take the sling off and (b) not tell me to have an operation. if I
>have any more xrays, I'll be buried i n a leadlined coffin nr Sellafield.
>
>Now here's a question. At some point I will be deemed fit enough to take charge of a *big*, *fast*
>car. What's the vbetting the doc will, at thye same time, advise me not to cycle for a while?

Please post transcript of ensuing conversation, for the amusement of all.

Cheers, Al

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:21:15 +0000, Al
<[email protected]> wrote:

Just had an email from Chris Juden of the CTC. Apparently there will be a review of the Puky(!) Cyke
in the next Cycle.

<http://www.puky.de/gb/> - my local bike shop, AW Cycles, is listed as a dealer by the importers <http://www.amba-
marketing.com/dealers.php>

An aluminium 20" version with rack, mudguards, Nexus 3-speed and dynamo is listed. I've asked
for pricing.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> writes
>On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:21:15 +0000, Al <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>Just had an email from Chris Juden of the CTC. Apparently there will be a review of the Puky(!)
>Cyke in the next Cycle.
>
><http://www.puky.de/gb/> -

That was useful like Guy, thanks :)

Looks like a range of sensible bikes :) -wonder what the weights are - they don't seem to
give those.

I'm looking out for Elinor's first bike. (Can't justify the price of a Pickle trike, so will go with
a bike with the 'dreaded ' stabilisers! - at 3 she is a bit beyond ;learning to balance it I think
just yet.)

Anyway, I like the look of their play bikes - particularly as they have a back pedal rear brake -
much the most natural action for braking I think, and looking at the bikes in the shops it's be hard
work for her to brake much using levers. Wther the price is justified for this against a cheaper
bike is a moot point though.

We do live on steepish hill, so having some reasonable braking for her will be useful- even on a toy
- she does like to career down the hill on her little trike at the moment, which is a little hair
raising as she can get up quite a speed. she is already a discerning cyclist though - she prefers
the road to the pavement as it is a bit smoother.....

--
Chris French, Leeds

In article <[email protected]>, chris French
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking out for Elinor's first bike. (Can't justify the price of a Pickle trike

Wouldn't touch them even if they were free.

> so will go with a bike with the 'dreaded ' stabilisers! - at 3 she is a bit beyond ;learning to
> balance it I think just yet.)

Alex was going on a real bike without stabilisers when he was three - he did a round the island
before he was four - parental/child confidence matters more than ability.

> Anyway, I like the look of their play bikes - particularly as they have a back pedal rear brake -
> much the most natural action for braking I think, and looking at the bikes in the shops it's be
> hard work for her to brake much using levers. Wther the price is justified for this against a
> cheaper bike is a moot point though.

Don't ever get the child a bike which is not conventional - a back pedal brake might be a great idea
when they are young but if in later years they have a panic they must be able to go for the one
which is most natural - brake levers and normally the left one first.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:07:16 +0000, chris French
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Looks like a range of sensible bikes :) -wonder what the weights are - they don't seem to
>give those.

Chris Juden says "no feather, but not bad" - my guess is the alu version is likely to be better (no
****, Sherlock) but I've emailed for more info.

Guy
===

chris French <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I'm looking out for Elinor's first bike. (Can't justify the price of a Pickle trike, so will go
> with a bike with the 'dreaded ' stabilisers! - at 3 she is a bit beyond ;learning to balance it I
> think just yet.)

Both my children were on 2 wheels at the age of 3. Stabilisers will delay her taking that step.

--
Dave...

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm looking out for Elinor's first bike. (Can't justify the price of a Pickle trike, so will go
>with a bike with the 'dreaded ' stabilisers! - at 3 she is a bit beyond ;learning to balance it I
>think just yet.)

Are you sure? It's easier than learning to walk.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

In message <[email protected]>, Sandy Morton
<[email protected]> writes
>In article <[email protected]>, chris French <newspost-
>[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm looking out for Elinor's first bike.

<snip>

>> Anyway, I like the look of their play bikes - particularly as they have a back pedal rear brake -
>> much the most natural action for braking I think, and looking at the bikes in the shops it's be
>> hard work for her to brake much using levers. Wther the price is justified for this against a
>> cheaper bike is a moot point though.
>
>Don't ever get the child a bike which is not conventional -

and how many bikes have only one brake on the front like most kids bikes...? :)

>a back pedal brake might be a great idea when they are young

It's great idea for the not so young as well - I had one on one of my bikes until recently. I t
would still be there if it was not incompatible with it having double chainwheels.

> but if in later years they have a panic they must be able to go for the one which is most natural
> - brake levers and normally the left one first.

As someone who has used both I would expect a kid to very quickly learn to brake using the hands
if they moved onto a bike with such brakes. Once you move over to a system you soon train yourself
to use that.

Swopping from one to the other on a daily/weekly basis is much more confusing on the hands and feet.
--
Chris French, Leeds