de Vlaeminck in the snow

Andrew Karre

Guest
I recall seeing a picture on the Internet of a rider, I think Roger de Vlaeminck, riding solo up a
mountain pass. The singular thing about the shot was the fact that the roadway was carved out of the
snow such that the rider appeared against a huge wall of snow. My guess is that it was the giro in
the Dolomites. It was a very striking image, but I can't seem to find it again. Anyone know what I'm
talking about?

Thanks, Andrew Karre

"Andrew Karre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I recall seeing a picture on the Internet of a rider, I think Roger de Vlaeminck, riding solo up a
> mountain pass. The singular thing about the shot was the fact that the roadway was carved out of
> the snow such that the rider appeared against a huge wall of snow. My guess is that it was the
> giro in the Dolomites. It was a very striking image, but I can't seem to find it again. Anyone
> know what I'm talking about?

This? http://www.bikelane.com/bikepics/demuynck.jpg

http://www.bikelane.com also has some other interesting pics and info. Darius

Interestingly enough, I was just looking at Yuzuru Sunada's website. He just updated it with a bunch
of amusing photos from his archives. Check out the ones devoted to "Bad Weather".

<www.yuzurusunada.com

"Andrew Karre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I recall seeing a picture on the Internet of a rider, I think Roger de Vlaeminck, riding solo up a
> mountain pass. The singular thing about the shot was the fact that the roadway was carved out of
> the snow such that the rider appeared against a huge wall of snow. My guess is that it was the
> giro in the Dolomites. It was a very striking image, but I can't seem to find it again. Anyone
> know what I'm talking about?

I remember the picture your talking about. It is one of the passes in a GT race I believe and the
snow is about 30' deep and almost a sheer cliff down to the road. I remember driving a car through a
place like that somewhere, one time, but I can't remember where.

"Andrew Karre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I recall seeing a picture on the Internet of a rider, I think Roger de Vlaeminck, riding solo up a
> mountain pass. The singular thing about the shot was the fact that the roadway was carved out of
> the snow such that the rider appeared against a huge wall of snow. My guess is that it was the
> giro in the Dolomites. It was a very striking image, but I can't seem to find it again. Anyone
> know what I'm talking about?

It might have been the last stage of the Giro of '75 which finished on the top of the Stelvio
between two walls of snow. In any case I have somewhere a marvellous picture of Bertoglio and Galdos
near the finish. But better known is a picture of Coppi on the Stelvio in '53, looking at "Viva
Fausto" carved in the snow: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/2176/

Benjo Maso

On 13 Jan 2004 23:33:33 GMT, TritonRider wrote:
>>From: Dan Connelly d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g
>>http://www.hampsten.com/images/commerce/andygavianew.jpg
>
> That is still the most amazing one day ride that I can think of. That pic is just incredible.

You know who won it? That's right, the new manager/technical director of Rabobank.

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Andrew Karre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I recall seeing a picture on the Internet of a rider, I think Roger de Vlaeminck, riding solo up
> > a mountain pass. The singular thing about the shot was the fact that the roadway was carved out
> > of the snow such that the rider appeared against a huge wall of snow. My guess is that it was
> > the giro in the Dolomites. It was a very striking image, but I can't seem to find it again.
> > Anyone know what I'm talking about?
>
> I remember the picture your talking about. It is one of the passes in a GT race I believe and the
> snow is about 30' deep and almost a sheer cliff down to the road. I remember driving a car through
> a place like that somewhere, one time, but I can't remember where.

This might not be the picture you're talking about, but it probably looks similar:

http://www.paloaltobicycles.com/alps_photos/s56.html

--
Michael Fuhr http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Michael Fuhr) wrote:

> This might not be the picture you're talking about, but it probably looks similar:
>
> http://www.paloaltobicycles.com/alps_photos/s56.html

Ah, the seventies... About those shorts, Bill?
http://www.paloaltobicycles.com/alps_photos/s39.html

There's some really good photos in that series. Jobst, Robertson and
Peter Johnson (and a few other people) put in some big miles on those rides.

--
tanx, Howard

Said you hit Roddy Piper, and didn't get a hassle, Promised your girl filet mignon, then took
her to White Castle! LL Cool J

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

"Dan Connelly" <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> dariusb wrote:
> > This? http://www.bikelane.com/bikepics/demuynck.jpg
> >
> That one's good. This one's better: http://www.hampsten.com/images/commerce/andygavianew.jpg
>
> Dan

You're right :-0

From the 2003 Giro: http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall?openform&03giroSt18
9th image on the left hand column.

Can't believe i'm looking for pictures of snow ... i have to see that white stuff 5-6 months a year.

--------------0E49D1024943A56BC199D856

Jenko schreef:

> Snow in LBL? That surprised me.
>
> Jenko

I was a kid when I saw that one on a b/w TV, but the impression lasted forever.

--------------0E49D1024943A56BC199D856 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-
Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html>
href="http://www.patclearyart.co.uk/cyclinghtml/L_B_L/l_b_l.htm"></a>
<q>Snow in LBL? That surprised me.
<r>Jenko</blockquote> I was a kid when I saw that one on a b/w TV, but the impression lasted
forever.</html>

--------------0E49D1024943A56BC199D856--

LIEGE-BASTOGNE-LIEGE, 244 km
1. Bernard HINAULT (Fra) en 7h01'42"
2. Hennie Kuiper (Hol) à 9'24"
3. Ronny Claes (Bel)
4. Fons De Wolf (Bel) à 10'34"
5. Pierre Bazzo (Fra)
6. Ludo Peeters (Bel)
7. Herman Van Springel (Bel) à 12'05"
8. Guido Van Calster (Bel) à 12'35"
9. Johan Vandevelde (Hol)
10. Eddy Schepers (Bel)
11. Gilbert Duclos-Lassalle (Fra)
12. Silvano Contini (Ita)
13. Henk Lubberding (Hol) à 16'03"
14. Stefan Mutter (Sui)
15. Pascal Simon (Fra)
16. Jan Jonkers (Hol) à 17'59"
17. Bert Oosterbosch (Hol) à 18'35"
18. Paul Wellens (Bel)
19. Frits Pirard (Hol)
20. Jean Toso (Fra) à 24'06"
21. Jostein Wilmann (Nor) à 27'00"

Partants : 174 Classés : 21 Moyenne : 34.72 km/h