or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Cycling Training › Lower Back Pain!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lower Back Pain! - Page 2

post #16 of 24

Re: Lower Back Pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrenik View Post
For sure. It certainly takes more time and effort with non-bike activities: stretching, core strength (Pilates, Yoga, etc.), massage, and occasional visit to chiro.

To underscore what others have stated in this thread, bike fit is paramount. For years I couldn't understand why my QL's would get so darn tight. With regular stretching, a few days after seeing a chiro and getting massage my QL's would get amazingly tight. This was exasperated by low RPM/high torque efforts. I've been fitted professionally several times over the decades. I finally went in for an evaluation at the Boulder Center of Sports Medicine (BCSM). They did the whole digitized thing (rather impressive) and it was a classic case of I believed that I was doing "this" and the data showed that I was doing "that". They raised my bars a bit (out of concern of my "advancing age" - I'll only be 49) and swapped out my saddle for one with more support for the sitz bones. Viola - reduced/eliminated my hip-rocking and balanced my position. Awesome.

Didn't reduce/eliminate the need for stretching and everything else. I believe that I'll always have to do that.

Dave
More expensive nonsense, how many TT riders do you see today with their sit bones positioned on the saddle where sit bones are supposed to be. Would it be possible for you to now ride a 50 mile TT free of all LBP, it would with the "linear style" and no additional exercises would be required because every TT or training ride done would also be a lower back improvment. exercise.
post #17 of 24

Re: Lower Back Pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrenik View Post

They raised my bars a bit (out of concern of my "advancing age" - I'll only be 49) and swapped out my saddle for one with more support for the sitz bones. Viola - reduced/eliminated my hip-rocking and balanced my position. Awesome.

Didn't reduce/eliminate the need for stretching and everything else. I believe that I'll always have to do that.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice and in the gym when I look at the window and see my reflection I see way too much hip rocking and in my current condition that is going to make it impossible to ride without pain.

Can you be more specific how you were able to get rid of the rocking? Which type of seat did you switch to?

I do lots of stretching and core...what area do you feel most helpful to stretch other than the lower back?

-js
post #18 of 24

Re: Lower Back Pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n crowley View Post
You are missing the point, the fact is, it's possible to pedal using the highest gears or torque without making any use of these lower back muscles, by allowing the hips and arms to take all the strain and leaving the lower back in a relaxed state.
Oh jeez, here we go...
post #19 of 24

Re: Lower Back Pain!

The linear pedaling style also relieves gout; cures painful acne; and give hair a healthy shine and bounce.
post #20 of 24

Re: Lower Back Pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n crowley View Post
it would with the "linear style" and no additional exercises would be required because every TT or training ride done would also be a lower back improvment.
Talk about nonsense...
post #21 of 24

Re: Lower Back Pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsirabella View Post
Can you be more specific how you were able to get rid of the rocking? Which type of seat did you switch to?
Specialized Toupe. My sitz bones measured ~125mm so they recommended the 143mm wide saddle. The other thing I like about it is that it encourages me to keep my pelvis rotated forward which also helps to alleviate some of my LBP.

Per one of the "saddle threads", this is a very personal choice. Try several to see what works for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsirabella View Post
I do lots of stretching and core...what area do you feel most helpful to stretch other than the lower back?
QL's, hips, glutes, and hamstrings. I also spend quality time most every day on my foam roller (back, IT band, and quads). I've also implemented some stuff by Pete Egoscue (Pain Free). Personally, I think that he comes across as something of a quack and/or a$$hole and a few things he recommends actually help.

Dave
post #22 of 24

Re: Lower Back Pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrenik View Post
Talk about nonsense...

Obviously you have never heard the old saying, the most effective cycling muscle training is best done on the bike.
post #23 of 24

Re: Lower Back Pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n crowley View Post
Obviously you have never heard the old saying, the most effective cycling muscle training is best done on the bike.
Actually you might be surprised to know that I have. I've just grown wary of the quackery you espouse.

Also, I never mentioned anything about the off-bike work I do for my LB effecting my performance on the bike one way or another. It's done to make the other 95% of my life more easily enjoyable.

Dave
post #24 of 24

Re: Lower Back Pain!

General 'back stretches' combined with a psoas stretch, helps me lots...

... as did switching to PowerCranks but that's another topic entirely. I'm all out of bait and don't have a net - so I won't be fishing on responses and questions about this in this thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Training
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Cycling Training › Lower Back Pain!