Loch Ewe- Western Scotland

Nigel

Guest
I've recently returned from a splendid tour of Western Scotland and am still drooloing over
its beauty.

Leaving Ullapool and travelling along the scenic A896 between Gruinard Bay & Loch Ewe, I noticed a
NATO Refuelling Pier. A little further along the road heading towards Poolewe there is a Fish Farm
in the Loch with 13 circular tanks.

Closer to the shore is a circular type tower structure in the water, which looks as though it might
be there for the purpose of controlling the feeding program to the fish pens.

My question is this: Was this little tower built specifically to service the fish farm, or has it
been adapted from a piece of left-over wartime defence hardware?

Can anyone with local knowledge or someone who knows the area better than I let me know please.

I can provide a photograph of the site should anyone require a better look at the location.

Grateful to anyone who can help.

Nigel

Nigel <[email protected]> wrote:

> Closer to the shore is a circular type tower structure in the water, which looks as though it
> might be there for the purpose of controlling the feeding program to the fish pens.
>
> My question is this: Was this little tower built specifically to service the fish farm, or has it
> been adapted from a piece of left-over wartime defence hardware?

Nigel It's a while since I've been there but it sounds as if you might be looking at a 'dolphin'
associated with the refuelling pier. A dolphin is a free-standing structure used to manouvre ships
in harbours. You can pivot the ship against the dolphin to turn in e small space. If you send me a
.jpg (address above is valid) I'll maybe tell you more. The NATO fuel depot is still in service
AFAIK but you don't actually see naval vessels in there very often.

--
Ken McCulloch Edinburgh

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:52:40 +0100, [email protected] (Ken
McCulloch) wrote:

>Nigel <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Closer to the shore is a circular type tower structure in the water, which looks as though it
>> might be there for the purpose of controlling the feeding program to the fish pens.
>>
>> My question is this: Was this little tower built specifically to service the fish farm, or has it
>> been adapted from a piece of left-over wartime defence hardware?
>>
>Nigel It's a while since I've been there but it sounds as if you might be looking at a 'dolphin'
>associated with the refuelling pier. A dolphin is a free-standing structure used to manouvre ships
>in harbours. You can pivot the ship against the dolphin to turn in e small space. If you send me a
>.jpg (address above is valid) I'll maybe tell you more. The NATO fuel depot is still in service
>AFAIK but you don't actually see naval vessels in there very often.
>
>--
>Ken McCulloch Edinburgh

Hi Ken,

No, I noticed the dolphins, alongside the 'L - Shaped' refuelling Jetty, its not these I am
referring to.

The Fish Farm Site is a little further round the coast from the refuelling piers (due South) and its
associated dolphins.

The structure I refer to is a semi circular grey coloured tower, it looks rather like the stern of a
ship whilst it stands in the water.

I have enclosed two photographs at http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/logonjon2000

Hope this makes my request clearer.

Nigel

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:28:14 GMT, Nigel wrote:

>I have enclosed two photographs at http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/logonjon2000
>
>Hope this makes my request clearer.

It would do but, "This album is currently empty. "

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:50:26 +0100, Phil Cook
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:28:14 GMT, Nigel wrote:
>

>>I have enclosed two photographs at http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/logonjon2000
>>
>>Hope this makes my request clearer.
>
>It would do but, "This album is currently empty. "
>--
>Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

Sorry , I think the links fixed now.

Go on have another go!

Nigel