Mr. Reid drowned in NZ

Phil Cook

Guest
Over on aus.bushwalking some reports of a chap who slipped during a river crossing. Some ambiguity
as to where he is from.

The Grauniad say on http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,1271,-3254855,00.html

A British tourist was swept to his death while crossing a fast-flowing river in New Zealand.

Gordon Reid, 25, from Scotland, went missing while walking in Westland National Park on the western
side of South Island.

But it was also reported on UK radio

There was a radio report in the UK yesterday about a man from London UK, who drowned crossing a
'swollen stream' while on an adventure holiday in NZ

He came from Edinburgh, Scotland, was in the Edinburgh Evening News yesterday

Ricky

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Over on aus.bushwalking some reports of a chap who slipped during a river crossing. Some ambiguity
> as to where he is from.
>
> The Grauniad say on http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,1271,-3254855,00.html
>
> A British tourist was swept to his death while crossing a fast-flowing
river in
> New Zealand.
>
> Gordon Reid, 25, from Scotland, went missing while walking in Westland
National
> Park on the western side of South Island.
>
> But it was also reported on UK radio
>
> There was a radio report in the UK yesterday about a man from London UK, who drowned crossing a
> 'swollen stream' while on an adventure holiday in
NZ
> --
> Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

Phil Cook writes

>Over on aus.bushwalking some reports of a chap who slipped during a river crossing. Some ambiguity
>as to where he is from.
>
>The Grauniad say on http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,1271,-3254855,00.html

I started the thread on aus.bushwalking. It happened near Welcome Hut on the Copland valley walk on
the west coast of South Island. I've not done the walk, but know the area. There are swing bridges
over most of the river crossings, including one near the hut. There are lots of side streams though,
and the west coast is subject substantial sudden rainfall. The body was found 10 kilometres
downstream from where he went in.

Drowning is easily the biggest cause of walking fatalities in NZ.

--
Trevor Dennis Remove s-p-a-m to email

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Over on aus.bushwalking some reports of a chap who slipped during a river crossing. Some ambiguity
> as to where he is from.

It was reported in NZ that he was Scottish. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3-
528506&thesection=news&thesubsection=general&thesecondsubsection=latest

--
From Sunny South Canterbury

Once upon a time I tried not to spoil my reply address. Then the Swen-virus started to send me
emails :-( Remove mashed to reply. Sorry.

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:11:18 +0100, Trevor Dennis wrote:

>Phil Cook writes
>
>>Over on aus.bushwalking some reports of a chap who slipped during a river crossing. Some ambiguity
>>as to where he is from.
>>
>>The Grauniad say on http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,1271,-3254855,00.html
>
>I started the thread on aus.bushwalking.

I started it on here mostly because we have a Reid© :)

Following up to Phil Cook

>I started it on here mostly because we have a Reid© :)

May I take this opportunity to say the famous words <cough>

Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated :)

--
Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso UK walking "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk"
<-- you can email us@ this site Spain,cuisines and walking "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <--