Alhang etc

Bernie Hughes

Guest
Had a pleasant half day round 3 New Donalds by the Water of Ken. Weather a bit patchy, nobody in
sight till a couple spotted on top of Alhang as I was climbing Alwhat, and then again on top of
Alwhat as I was reaching summit of Meikledodd. Highly unusual to see anyone in the area at all; if
anything the distant presence emphasized the feeling of solitude rather than diminishing it. I guess
they must have come over Windy Standard, rather than up over Ewe Hill as I did- anyone here?

--

Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:16:32 +0100, "Bernie Hughes"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Had a pleasant half day round 3 New Donalds by the Water of Ken. Weather a bit patchy, nobody in
>sight till a couple spotted on top of Alhang as I was climbing Alwhat, and then again on top of
>Alwhat as I was reaching summit of Meikledodd. Highly unusual to see anyone in the area at all; if
>anything the distant presence emphasized the feeling of solitude rather than diminishing it. I
>guess they must have come over Windy Standard, rather than up over Ewe Hill as I did- anyone here?

Not me.... Still got these good old Donalds to do, and I hope to do them soon.

Enjoy the view of the windmills?

I was enjoying the delights of a few rather easy Furth Donalds at the weekend.. Even got some views.

Richard Webb

Richard Webb wrote:

> Not me.... Still got these good old Donalds to do, and I hope to do them soon. Enjoy the view of
> the windmills? I was enjoying the delights of a few rather easy Furth Donalds at the weekend..
> Even got some views.

I didn't mind the windmills much to be honest. I climbed Windy Standard last November in pea-soup
fog. That day the turbines were invisible from more than a few metres, which made the noise seem
much louder. Giant figures looming up out the mist all of a sudden, quite unsettling really. The
most attractive parts of these very rounded hills are the lower ridges,
i.e. the south side of Lorg Hill & the Northeast side of Ewe Hill. Best view of the day was
Moorbrock, only a couple of miles away. I might go back for that & Benniner at the weekend.
Chalk Memorial looked quite appealing from high up too; I've found it a gloomy place both times
I've been in it. If I remember correctly from RHB, you're working towards completing the New
Donalds shortly? I still got 30 odd to visit; which will take me to next spring I reckon.

--

Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

>If I remember correctly from RHB, you're working towards completing the New Donalds shortly? I
>still got 30 odd to visit; which will take me to next spring I reckon.

I have about 30 odd Donalds left, mostly in the Manor Hills. I need the Alwhatsits to finish
Galloway, a few Lowthers and one side of Gameshope left elsewhere.

Richard Webb