Overnight parking in Glen Coe

John Barker

Guest
I was thinking about a wild camp in ther lost valley but from what i remember most of the laybys
have ' no overnight parking ' signs. Any know of a place to park where leaving my car won't spark a
mountain rescue?

Also, as i will be flying to glasgow and hiring a car. i don't want to take an ice axe on the plane
unless i have to. What are conditions like - any hard snow? J

I was there a few weeks ago and there was a car parked on the straight stretch, over Rannoch Moor,
with a notice fixed to it that read "Known to the Police." I know the plod are not usually worth
approaching in the south but north of the border they are usually very helpful so it might be worth
asking them about it.

There used to be no overnight parking notices but i have noticed that they seem to be missing now so
I'm not sure whether the situation has changed.

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 09:00:31 +0100, "John Barker" <[email protected]> wrote:
>I was thinking about a wild camp in ther lost valley but from what i remember most of the laybys
>have ' no overnight parking ' signs. Any know of a place to park where leaving my car won't spark a
>mountain rescue?
>
>Also, as i will be flying to glasgow and hiring a car. i don't want to take an ice axe on the plane
>unless i have to. What are conditions like - any hard snow? J

Alex.

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 09:00:31 +0100, John Barker wrote:

>I was thinking about a wild camp in ther lost valley but from what i remember most of the laybys
>have ' no overnight parking ' signs. Any know of a place to park where leaving my car won't spark a
>mountain rescue?
>
>Also, as i will be flying to glasgow and hiring a car. i don't want to take an ice axe on the plane
>unless i have to. What are conditions like - any hard snow?

If you want to bring an axe get a military kitbag to stash your rucsack in as checked in
(hold) luggage. Cheap as chips from your local Army Surplus type shop. You might want to wrap
some corrugated card round the pointy bits but I didn't bother last time and no harm was done
to my lugage.

Bear in mind the restrictions on stoves too. If you have a liquid fuel stove you might want to find
out if your carrier is one of the enlightened ones.

>Significant Changes to the 44th Edition (2003) IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations
>
>Section 2 - Limitations Three new items have been added to the list of articles and substances
>acceptable for carriage by passengers and crew (Section 2.3 and Table 2.3.A). These are:
>
>With operator approval in checked baggage only
>
>* Liquid fuelled camping stoves - Provided that steps have been taken to nullify the hazard by
> draining and air-drying the fuel container, or rinsing the fuel container with cooking oil to
> raise the flash point, then wrapping the fuel container in absorbent material and placed in a
> polyethylene or equivalent bag. Where the liquid-fuelled camping stove is prepared in this manner
> it can be classified as non-hazardous.

Of course fuel itself is still a no no on planes.

> I was thinking about a wild camp in ther lost valley but from what i remember most of the laybys
> have ' no overnight parking ' signs.

Me and a mate parked a car overnight at the layby opposite the Achmabeithach cottage.

The layby itself is signed 'no overnight parking' but opposite the cottage's driveway, there's a
small gravel layby that we reasoned wasn't part of the tarmac layby with the restriction sign. If
you're still umming and erring, park the car on a residential street in Ballachulish.

The 'no overnight parking' restrictions are getting a rather restrictive for wild camping. I was at
Bridge of Orchy at the end of August. The railway carpark is now for passengers only and the main
carpark next to the hotel has a "no overnight parking" designation. In the end I parked at the
station carpark - whose to know I'm not a passenger?!?

My main worry is not wheel clamps, but break-ins. Parking anywhere along the A82 main road is a bit
exposed to thieving hands. All and sundry use that road - not just hillwalkers.

Anthony Dyer www.mountain-walking.org.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Duncan Gray <[email protected]> writes

>"Graham Benny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Anthony Dyer wrote
>>
>> > My main worry is not wheel clamps,
>> >
>> Not a real problem in Scotland - only the Police have authority to clamp anyone and they tend to
>> tow away an obstructing vehicle. If a private individual or business clamps you contact the
>> Police and have them charged with theft! This stance was established by a test case in the
>> Scottish courts a good few years ago.
>>
>Not even the police can use wheel clamps under Scots law. Their use has been judged by the courts
>to be a criminal act, namely extortion.

So what is the legal status of the 'No overnight parking' signs? What is the penalty for ignoring
them? And what if the sign has been removed - there are a number of laybys where you can still the
posts but not the signs originally attached?

--
Martin Richardson

216/284 Munros (34/34 'Furths')
217/89 Donalds 389/1552 Marilyns 439/439 Nuttalls

Thanks for the help
"Mark Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

I always took 'No overnightparking' to mean no dossing in the car, not no backpacking and behave
accordingly

Richard Webb

Anthony Dyer wrote
> The 'no overnight parking' restrictions are getting a rather restrictive
for
> wild camping. I was at Bridge of Orchy at the end of August. The railway carpark is now for
> passengers only and the main carpark next to the hotel has a "no overnight parking" designation.
> In the end I parked at the station carpark - whose to know I'm not a passenger?!?

AFAIK this sign has no authority whatsoever. It went up during the FMD nonsense and was in exactly
the same style as the FMD signs which were 'signed' by "Bridge of Orchy Ranger Service", "Black
Mount Ranger Service, "Auch Ranger Service", etc. They all gave the same contact phone number which
was traced to a Countryside Ranger for the Highland Council! - that area is in Argyll & Bute or
Stirling Councils' durisdiction. The Highland Ranger seemed very reluctant to answer his phone, I
never managed to cantact him in spite of a good few attempts.

> My main worry is not wheel clamps,

Not a real problem in Scotland - only the Police have authority to clamp anyone and they tend to tow
away an obstructing vehicle. If a private individual or business clamps you contact the Police and
have them charged with theft! This stance was established by a test case in the Scottish courts a
good few years ago.

> but break-ins. Parking anywhere along the A82 main road is a bit exposed to thieving hands. All
> and sundry use that road - not just hillwalkers.

The reason why I never leave a record of my hill plans visible - "Dear Burglar Bill, I'll be away
for X hours from xx am, please help yourself to the car and/or contents".

The only place the Police seem to be worried about is along the old road from the main road bridge
to the Clachaig. It was getting almost impassable at times and the wild camping was getting out of
hand and very unhygenic. They used to come along about 7.30 am and dish out parking tickets. The
best bet is probably to leave your reg. no. and chosen parking spot with them and tell them you will
be in the hills overnight(s).

Graham

"Graham Benny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anthony Dyer wrote
>
> > My main worry is not wheel clamps,
> >
> Not a real problem in Scotland - only the Police have authority to clamp anyone and they tend to
> tow away an obstructing vehicle. If a private individual or business clamps you contact the Police
> and have them charged with theft! This stance was established by a test case in the Scottish
> courts a good few years ago.

Not even the police can use wheel clamps under Scots law. Their use has been judged by the courts to
be a criminal act, namely extortion.

--
Duncan Gray

homepage - www.duncolm.co.uk also www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk The Mountaineering Council
of Scotland

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:59:05 +0000, Martin Richardson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>So what is the legal status of the 'No overnight parking' signs? What is the penalty for ignoring
>them? And what if the sign has been removed - there are a number of laybys where you can still the
>posts but not the signs originally attached?

And what constitutes overnight? I've often wondered - though I never take any notice of them. If I
arrive at 5 past midnight and stay for 18 hours, is that overnight?

--
Paul My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003): http://paulrooney.netfirms.com 114
Wainwrights

Please sponsor me for the London Marathon at: http://www.justgiving.com/london2004

"Martin Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Duncan Gray
> <[email protected]> writes
> >
> >"Graham Benny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> Anthony Dyer wrote

> >> Not a real problem in Scotland - only the Police have authority to
clamp
> >> anyone and they tend to tow away an obstructing vehicle. If a private individual or business
> >> clamps you contact the Police and have them
charged
> >> with theft! This stance was established by a test case in the Scottish courts a good few
> >> years ago.
> >>
> >Not even the police can use wheel clamps under Scots law. Their use has
been
> >judged by the courts to be a criminal act, namely extortion.
> >
> So what is the legal status of the 'No overnight parking' signs? What is the penalty for ignoring
> them? And what if the sign has been removed - there are a number of laybys where you can still the
> posts but not the signs originally attached?

I suppose there would have to be a local byelaw creating the offence and lay down the penalties - a
small fine would be the limit.

The local district court (or whatever the English equivelent is) would have to make a judgement re
signs, presuming a case ever got that far.