O.T. Aurora Watch 'Red Alert'

Jim Ford

Guest
Hi.

I'm getting 'Red Alerts' from Aurora Watch. Aurora Borelis may be seen over whole of U.K.. Cloudy
here in Herts. now, though :^{

Refards: Jim Ford

Jim Ford wrote

> I'm getting 'Red Alerts' from Aurora Watch. Aurora Borelis may be seen over whole of U.K..

A colleague at work owns a croft on the NW coast of Lewis. Her husband, who is staying at the croft
this week, rang her while she was on the train on the way home to say that they were having a
fantastic aurora. Red, green, curtains, streamers, the works. He likened it to standing inside a
huge, multicoloured, psychedelic upside down funnel.

She wasn't jealous at all and neither was I :-(

Chris

In article <[email protected]>, Jim Ford <ford@watford5
3.freeserve.co.uk> writes
>Hi.
>
>I'm getting 'Red Alerts' from Aurora Watch. Aurora Borelis may be seen over whole of U.K.. Cloudy
>here in Herts. now, though :^{
>
>Refards: Jim Ford

I think I saw my first aurora last night, about 10:30-11:00. But very similar to mist, ie lightish
and white. But not mist because it had streaks through it which were not parallel but radial. And
more rapidly moving than mist (very slow still, though).

Or perhaps it was noctilucent cloud :-(

Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

We had reasonable views (Perth/Kinross/Dunning)

Greens from about 7:30 to 8:30, then a large, dull red streak for about 40 minutes. Nothing
subsequent.

Jim

On 20 Nov 2003 22:41:00 GMT, Jim Ford <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I'm getting 'Red Alerts' from Aurora Watch. Aurora Borelis may be seen over whole of U.K.. Cloudy
>here in Herts. now, though :^{
>
>Refards: Jim Ford

Jim Willsher

Homepages at http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk

wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I'm getting 'Red Alerts' from Aurora Watch. Aurora Borelis may be seen over whole of U.K.. Cloudy
>here in Herts. now, though :^{

We had superb clear skies here in York. No Aurora though :-(

In message <[email protected]>
"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jim Ford wrote:
>
> > I'm getting 'Red Alerts' from Aurora Watch. Aurora Borelis may be seen over whole of U.K..
> > Cloudy here in Herts. now, though :^{
>
> Fat lot of good that will do. Did you enjoy the Leonids? Can't remember the last time I saw a
> clear sky here.

No good here in Manchester. Phoned my mum in Cumbria, and she saw it. Sounded quite impressive, too.
I put the phone down and sulked a bit after that.

--
Simon Challands, creator of The Acorn Elite Pages: http://elite.acornarcade.com/ Three Dimensional
Encounters: http://www.3dfrontier.fsnet.co.uk/

Bernard Hill wrote:

> I think I saw my first aurora last night, about 10:30-11:00. But very similar to mist, ie lightish
> and white. But not mist because it had streaks through it which were not parallel but radial. And
> more rapidly moving than mist (very slow still, though).
>
> Or perhaps it was noctilucent cloud :-(

*Remarkably* similar to what I saw over Dundee/Broughty Ferry last night! I'm pretty sure that was
an aurora.

I've still only seen them in monochrome, but I got a nice display of the shimmering curtains effect
coming home from Canada a couple of weeks ago, having got a window seat on the N. side of the plane.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

[email protected] said...
> Jim Ford wrote
>
> > I'm getting 'Red Alerts' from Aurora Watch. Aurora Borelis may be seen over whole of U.K..
>
> A colleague at work owns a croft on the NW coast of Lewis. Her husband, who is staying at the
> croft this week, rang her while she was on the train on the way home to say that they were having
> a fantastic aurora. Red, green, curtains, streamers, the works. He likened it to standing inside a
> huge, multicoloured, psychedelic upside down funnel.
>
> She wasn't jealous at all and neither was I :-(

Much... I'd have been *spitting* if Charlie had pulled a similar stunt - bad enough that he gets to
go all over Wales on business, staying at such places like CAT, Brecon, Builth, Ynys Mon - if he
then told me something like that had happened, and I hadn't been there to see it... Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:40:06 +0000, Jim Willsher <[email protected]>
wrote:

>We had reasonable views (Perth/Kinross/Dunning)
>
>Greens from about 7:30 to 8:30, then a large, dull red streak for about 40 minutes. Nothing
>subsequent.

This all sounds a bit Day of the Triffids...

">
> I think I saw my first aurora last night, about 10:30-11:00. But very similar to mist, ie lightish
> and white. But not mist because it had streaks through it which were not parallel but radial. And
> more rapidly moving than mist (very slow still, though).
>
> Or perhaps it was noctilucent cloud :-(

When I lived in the north of Scotland, this sort of effect was quite common. I likened it to
searchlights. It used to annoy me when my neighbour (across the field) used to ask me if I'd seen
the lights the night before. It was always the best display there'd been for many years. But they
never thought to ring me while it was happening:-(

I've been on the lookout here in West Yorkshire, but nothing so far. There was a beautiful red
sunset here this evening though.

Liz [email protected] www.lemal.freeserve.co.uk

"Liz Lemal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ">
> > I think I saw my first aurora last night, about 10:30-11:00. But very similar to mist, ie
> > lightish and white. But not mist because it had streaks through it which were not parallel but
> > radial. And more rapidly moving than mist (very slow still, though).
> >
> > Or perhaps it was noctilucent cloud :-(
> >

> When I lived in the north of Scotland, this sort of effect was quite
common.
> I likened it to searchlights. It used to annoy me when my neighbour
(across
> the field) used to ask me if I'd seen the lights the night before. It was always the best display
> there'd been for many years. But they never
thought
> to ring me while it was happening:-(
>
> I've been on the lookout here in West Yorkshire, but nothing so far.
There
> was a beautiful red sunset here this evening though.
>
> Liz [email protected] www.lemal.freeserve.co.uk

The first and only time I have seen this was when I was on exercise with the TA about 10 years ago
near Dundee - made going out and getting freezing wet in hole all worth while :)

Have to agree with you Liz, the sunset was stunning down here in Yorks this evening.

A.
--------
Alastair Ross

email: alastair "at" hillwalking.org.uk web: http://www.hillwalking.org.uk - for hillwalking and
books web: http://www.eat-the-chef-com - for restaurants and wine

Fran <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Much... I'd have been *spitting* if Charlie had pulled a similar stunt - bad enough that he gets
> to go all over Wales on business, staying at such places like CAT, Brecon, Builth, Ynys Mon - if
> he then told me something like that had happened, and I hadn't been there to see it...
> Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Fran - I'm really sorry about this, but we had a nice clear sky in Pembrokeshire until about 3am and
once again the Aurora were out. First noticed them at about midnight, but only as a sort of whiteish
backdrop to clouds. Had to get up quite high to get out of mist in valleys to see it and I was quite
dissapointed that it did not develop into something spectacular as it clearly did up north. I know
you're pleased for me really. I was also working nights during the Leonid showers but the cloud
cover was 100% throughout - bummer.

Steve

[email protected] said...
> I'd have been *spitting* if Charlie had pulled a similar
> > stunt - bad enough that he gets to go all over Wales on business, staying at such places like
> > CAT, Brecon, Builth, Ynys Mon - if he then told me something like that had happened, and I
> > hadn't been there to see it... Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
>
> Fran - I'm really sorry about this, but we had a nice clear sky in Pembrokeshire until about 3am
> and once again the Aurora were out.

Oh pish and pooh! Mind, the skies here have been incredibly clear - and flippin' cold - the last two
nights, giving us fabulous views of the Milky Way and all those constellations wot I don't know wot
they are... but of the Lights I have seen nowt. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong direction, or
maybe there were too many trees in the way and I was looking too high - I don't know. Gorgeous
starscapes though, anyway.
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.