Paypal Virus

Paul Saunders

Guest
I was about to ask on the ng if this was a virus because NAV didn't pick it up, but then I had the
inspiration to check on the web first, and it came as no surprise to see that it is. Time I updated
my virus definitions methinks...

I just thought I'd post this warning anyway, just in case anyone does fall for it. The "YOUR
PAYPAL.COM ACCOUNT EXPIRES" email does contain a virus. Don't run it.

Paul
--
The October Project 2003 - Updated
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/october/october.html

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was about to ask on the ng if this was a virus because NAV didn't
pick
> it up, but then I had the inspiration to check on the web first, and
it
> came as no surprise to see that it is. Time I updated my virus definitions methinks...
>
> I just thought I'd post this warning anyway, just in case anyone
does
> fall for it. The "YOUR PAYPAL.COM ACCOUNT EXPIRES" email does
contain a
> virus. Don't run it.
>
> Paul
> --
Thanks Paul, thought as much. Must update me Norton......

Graham

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was about to ask on the ng if this was a virus because NAV didn't pick it up, but then I had the
> inspiration to check on the web first, and it came as no surprise to see that it is. Time I
> updated my virus definitions methinks...
>
> I just thought I'd post this warning anyway, just in case anyone does fall for it. The "YOUR
> PAYPAL.COM ACCOUNT EXPIRES" email does contain a virus. Don't run it.

Anyone who "runs" anything from Email needs a crash course in Internet security IMHO.

As for an Email "containing" a virus! Not so:-( Unless there is a link or attachment etc.
that you open.

CravenBirds

"Graham Seed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
| > I was about to ask on the ng if this was a virus because NAV didn't
| pick
| > it up, but then I had the inspiration to check on the web first, and
| it
| > came as no surprise to see that it is. Time I updated my virus definitions methinks...
| >
| > I just thought I'd post this warning anyway, just in case anyone
| does
| > fall for it. The "YOUR PAYPAL.COM ACCOUNT EXPIRES" email does
| contain a
| > virus. Don't run it.
| >
| > Paul
| > --
| Thanks Paul, thought as much. Must update me Norton......
|
| Graham

I thought you used Mailgate Paul, so how come the email got through to your email client?

Ste

CB wrote:

> Anyone who "runs" anything from Email needs a crash course in Internet security IMHO.

Newbies are discovering the internet every day. Not everyone knows these things.

> As for an Email "containing" a virus! Not so:-( Unless there is a link or attachment etc. that
> you open.

Yes, there's an attachment that you are told to run, that's why I said it contained a virus. I
wouldn't have run it anyway (what reputable company asks for credit card details in an email?), but
I was even more suspicious when I saw that the attachment ended in .scr.

Paul