or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Mountain Bikes › is just a few or do they speak for the masses?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

is just a few or do they speak for the masses? - Page 4  

post #46 of 54

Re: is just a few or do they speak for the masses?

John Atkinson wrote in message <3df4caec$1$158$4c56ba96@master.news.zetnet.net>...
>"Simon" <news@tau-designs.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:Xy3J9.3696$nJ4.163316@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net...
>>
>> "John Atkinson" <john@fusions.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> | btw I went road-biking on Saturday, do you think I should post about it here???
>>
>> Yes I think you should. you ride mtb and road bikes like most of us have
>at
>> some point. To me all cycling is awesome
>>
>> Simon
>
>ok, if it makes you happy, I went out on my road bike on Saturday and saw some mountains, there,
>ok? (first time out in four weeks after busting a lateral knee ligament rolling over in bed....)
>
<moan moan moan> take it to alt.adult.road-bikes-suck <grumble grumble grumble
post #47 of 54

Re: is just a few or do they speak for the masses?

"G.T." <ethan_t@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:gnzI9.8258$Go2.311927990@newssv...ws.prodigy.com...
| Pete Fagerlin wrote:
| > "Cinder Girl" <juustagirlwithoutspam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > news:asr8mm0mvg@enews2.newsguy.com...
| >
| >
| > I love the bay area after
| > | growing up in the shadow of Mt. Whitney its hard to be impressed with
the
| > | towering heights of Mt. Diablo.
| >
| > You can see the second greatest amount of the Earth's surface from the
top
| > of Mount Diablo. Kilimanjaro is #1.
| >
|
| I really don't see how that can be.

It rises up to 3,489' from 200' and it's right on the edge of the central valley.

http://www.sfgate.com/getoutside/1997/apr/

http://members.cruzio.com/~krebsmap/M4.html

http://www.caohwy.com/m/moudiasp.htm

--
Pete Fagerlin

http://www.petefagerlin.com
post #48 of 54

Re: is just a few or do they speak for the masses?

"penny s" <pennysnoway@cet.invalid.com> wrote in message
news:uv2kuohk09ij12@corp.supernews.com... <snip>

| > After visiting the East coast and seeing the tired rounded humps that
pass
| > for some of the mountains back there Diablo, with its steep North
flank,
| > looks positively Everest-like.
| >
|
| perhaps that is stretching it just a bit, ya think? ;-)

Not in the least.

Mount Snow, and environs, in the East is a tired flat bump compared to the North Flank of Diablo,
especially the North Flank of North Peak.

Heck, the South side of Diablo is flat by comparison.

--
Pete Fagerlin http://www.petefagerlin.com
post #49 of 54

Re: is just a few or do they speak for the masses?

"Shaun Rimmer" <shaunme@newtronic.co.uk> wrote in message
news:at4phv$vulva$1@ID-170198.news.dfncis.de...
>
> John Atkinson <john@fusions.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:3df4caec$1$158$4c56ba96@master.news.zetnet.net...
> > ok, if it makes you happy, I went out on my road bike on Saturday and
saw
> > some mountains, there, ok? (first time out in four weeks after busting a lateral knee ligament
> > rolling over in bed....)
>
> WTF did you roll _over_? Sleeping with the bikes again or summat?
>

just rolled over to turn out the light and twang! to make matters worse, my personal physio (aka Mrs
Atkinson) was on a four day course in London leaving me at 10pm unable to walk or stand, alone in
the house with two small children. Still we had a laugh...
post #50 of 54
Thread Starter 

Re: is just a few or do they speak for the masses?

Pete Fagerlin wrote:
> "G.T." <ethan_t@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:gnzI9.8258$Go2.311927990@newssv...ws.prodigy.com...
> | Pete Fagerlin wrote:
> | > "Cinder Girl" <juustagirlwithoutspam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | > news:asr8mm0mvg@enews2.newsguy.com...
> | >
> | >
> | > I love the bay area after
> | > | growing up in the shadow of Mt. Whitney its hard to be impressed with
> the
> | > | towering heights of Mt. Diablo.
> | >
> | > You can see the second greatest amount of the Earth's surface from the
> top
> | > of Mount Diablo. Kilimanjaro is #1.
> | >
> |
> | I really don't see how that can be.
>
> It rises up to 3,489' from 200' and it's right on the edge of the central valley.
>
> http://www.sfgate.com/getoutside/1997/apr/
>
> http://members.cruzio.com/~krebsmap/M4.html
>
> http://www.caohwy.com/m/moudiasp.htm
>

"It is said that the view is surpassed only by that of Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa." Sounds kind
of anecdotal, something for local area chambers of commerce and park services to mention on
their websites.

I know the geography but the world is a big place. There are lots of big valleys. There are lots of
big hills and mountains. I could say the same thing for Palomar Mtn, it's taller, has a 360 degree
view from the top, you can see far into Mexico, you can see all the way up to Cone Peak (240 miles)
near Big Sur, and you have an unobstructed view east out to the desert.

Greg
--
"Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons
post #51 of 54

Re: is just a few or do they speak for the masses?

"Pete Fagerlin" <pete@petefagerlin.com> wrote in message
news:kRMI9.37$Fc7.5279809@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> "G.T." <ethan_t@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:gnzI9.8258$Go2.311927990@newssv...ws.prodigy.com...
> | Pete Fagerlin wrote:
> | > "Cinder Girl" <juustagirlwithoutspam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | > news:asr8mm0mvg@enews2.newsguy.com... You can see the second greatest amount of the Earth's
> | > surface from the
> top
> | > of Mount Diablo. Kilimanjaro is #1.
> | >
> |
> | I really don't see how that can be.
>
> It rises up to 3,489' from 200' and it's right on the edge of the central valley.
>

there are plenty of spots in Bolivia/Peru where you can see all the Amazon Basin - its OBVIOUS that
you are wrong... - you'd know if you got off your bike and looked at the environment
post #52 of 54

Re: is just a few or do they speak for the masses?

"John Atkinson" <john@fusions.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3df47916$0$158$4c56ba96@master.news.zetnet.net...
> "Pete Fagerlin" <pete@petefagerlin.com> wrote in message
> news:kRMI9.37$Fc7.5279809@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> > "G.T." <ethan_t@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > news:gnzI9.8258$Go2.311927990@newssv...ws.prodigy.com...
> > | Pete Fagerlin wrote:
> > | > "Cinder Girl" <juustagirlwithoutspam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > | > news:asr8mm0mvg@enews2.newsguy.com... You can see the second greatest amount of the Earth's
> > | > surface from
the
> > top
> > | > of Mount Diablo. Kilimanjaro is #1.
> > | >
> > |
> > | I really don't see how that can be.
> >
> > It rises up to 3,489' from 200' and it's right on the edge of the
central
> > valley.
> >
>
> there are plenty of spots in Bolivia/Peru where you can see all the Amazon Basin - its OBVIOUS
> that you are wrong... - you'd know if you got off your bike and looked at the environment
>

I used to live in the same area, and heard the same information. It's probably all in the
calculation, and at any rate it must have been figured pre-smog. In addition. I have always heard
that (pre-smog) you could set up a telescope on the top, and look straight into Yosemite Valley,
provided you knew where to look.

Penny S
post #53 of 54

Re: is just a few or do they speak for the masses?

"John Atkinson" <john@fusions.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3df47916$0$158$4c56ba96@master.news.zetnet.net... <snip>

| there are plenty of spots in Bolivia/Peru where you can see all the
Amazon
| Basin - its OBVIOUS that you are wrong... - you'd know if you got off
your
| bike and looked at the environment

Damn. A new sport is born.

Troll channeling. How did you manage that?

Well done.

--
Pete Fagerlin http://www.petefagerlin.com
post #54 of 54

Re: is just a few or do they speak for the masses?

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <pete@petefagerlin.com> wrote in message
news:at2p9l$71r@dispatch.concentric.net...
> "John Atkinson" <john@fusions.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:3df47916$0$158$4c56ba96@master.news.zetnet.net... <snip>
>
> | there are plenty of spots in Bolivia/Peru where you can see all the
> Amazon
> | Basin - its OBVIOUS that you are wrong... - you'd know if you got off
> your
> | bike and looked at the environment
>
> Damn. A new sport is born.
>
> Troll channeling. How did you manage that?
>
> Well done.
>
>
>
> --
> Pete Fagerlin http://www.petefagerlin.com
>
>

I am working on negating wildwife habits that are off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting, in alco dependence and road construction.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mountain Bikes
This thread is locked  
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Mountain Bikes › is just a few or do they speak for the masses?