looking for carbon fork with these specs.

Peri B.

Guest
I have been looking everywhere for something that will match what I need in a carbon fork.

One: carbon fork two: steel or aluminum steerer (absolutely no carbon steerer at all) three: 1" inch
steerer four: 40~45 rake *five: steerer uncut must be at least 310mm or greater to be long enough.
six: don't want to rob a bank or take out a second mortage for this either.

I have found some that there are some that are long enough, but have a 1 1/8" steerer; would I be
able to use a 1 1/8th steerer in my road bike frame? As it is now, it is setup with a 1" threaded
headset. I am looking for a carbon for that will carry a 195lbs guy around.

Time, Reynolds, Look, and etc.

Thanks, Perry Broste

>From: [email protected]

>six: don't want to rob a bank or take out a second mortage for this either.

Then take a look at "Weyless" carbon forks.

Sig Chicago

Peri B. wrote:
> I have been looking everywhere for something that will match what I need in a carbon fork.
>
> One: carbon fork two: steel or aluminum steerer (absolutely no carbon steerer at all) three: 1"
> inch steerer four: 40~45 rake *five: steerer uncut must be at least 310mm or greater to be long
> enough. six: don't want to rob a bank or take out a second mortage for this either.

Could you use a 300mm steerer with a high rise stem or steerer extender? ...Checkout all the
available stems before answering :)

If so, ITM Snyper would fit the bill: carbon blades (straight or curved), 1" al threadless steerer,
rake between 40 and 45, 548 grams, inexpensive. Could order from the UK if can't find it or a
suitable alternative elswehere.

> I have found some that there are some that are long enough, but have a 1 1/8" steerer; would I be
> able to use a 1 1/8th steerer in my [1"]
road
> bike frame?

No.

~PB

I've a better idea.

Get a steel fork and lose a couple of pounds of weight.

Ok, I would but I am already well below the "posted" average weight for my height bone-head. I
amd 6'5" tall at 195lbs. I am skinny/thin as a rail, the wind blows threw me. I would think that
most technical people could tell that I am tall, because otherwise I would not be looking for a
ex-long steerer.

Thanks, Perry

"Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I've a better idea.
>
> Get a steel fork and lose a couple of pounds of weight.

> *five: steerer uncut must be at least 310mm or greater to be long enough.

This is a potential problem area, as no manufacturer that I know of is willing to say that it's safe
to have more than 40mm of spacers underneath the stem. If you need it 310mm because your frame is
very tall, that's not an issue, but if the idea is to run a ton of spacers underneath it, and you're
a relatively strong rider, it might not be a good idea.

[email protected] (Peri B.) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have been looking everywhere for something that will match what I need in a carbon fork.

You mean WANT. :)

I imagine there are many forks that meet your wants, as long as you are willing to switch over to a
threadless headset (and purchse the requisite new stem as well.)

As has already been mentioned, no, you cannot install a 1 1/8" fork on your existing frame.

Russell

[email protected] (Peri B.) wrote:

>I have been looking everywhere for something that will match what I need in a carbon fork.
>
>One: carbon fork two: steel or aluminum steerer (absolutely no carbon steerer at all) three: 1"
>inch steerer four: 40~45 rake *five: steerer uncut must be at least 310mm or greater to be long
>enough. six: don't want to rob a bank or take out a second mortage for this either.
>
>I have found some that there are some that are long enough, but have a 1 1/8" steerer; would I be
>able to use a 1 1/8th steerer in my road bike frame? As it is now, it is setup with a 1" threaded
>headset. I am looking for a carbon for that will carry a 195lbs guy around.
>
>Time, Reynolds, Look, and etc.

The only one I'm aware of that meets all the above would be the Wound Up, which can be ordered with
an (extra cost) 400mm 1" steer tube in steel.

The Reynolds Alpha Q forks are available in 1" 350mm this year, but they're all carbon.

> The only one I'm aware of that meets all the above would be the Wound Up, which can be ordered
> with an (extra cost) 400mm 1" steer tube in steel.

Mark: Does Wound Up say that it's OK to use more than 40mm of spacers under the stem though?

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> The only one I'm aware of that meets all the above would be the Wound Up, which can be ordered
>> with an (extra cost) 400mm 1" steer tube in steel.
>
>Mark: Does Wound Up say that it's OK to use more than 40mm of spacers under the stem though?

I believe that you can do that with their CARBON FIBER steer tube forks (I was quite shocked at the
spec). I can only imagine you can do the same with the steel steer tube forks.

I'm fairly certain the spec is ~4cm of spacers, but it is from memory (can't seem to find the
spec now).