Best suspension post under $125?

asahitoro

Guest
I have a older Giant CFM mountain bike and want to upgrade to a suspension post. Who makes a good
one under $125? Any good online places to buy them? Thanks,

Scott

> I have a older Giant CFM mountain bike and want to upgrade to a suspension post. Who makes a good
> one under $125? Any good online places to buy them? Thanks,
>
> Scott

i've got a brooks conquest flyer on my road bike, and it does a good job. for off-road riding,
however, i think you will be happier with a thudbuster. i've had one for two years and love mine.
with four bad discs, anything that improves riding comfort is very important to me. they come with
several different elastomers to adjust for your weight, in addition to a preload bolt to set initial
sag. there are lots of places that sell them in your price range. jensonusa, nashbar, performance,
speedgoat, and pricepoint are a few you might try. smokey

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (smokey) wrote:

> [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I have a older Giant CFM mountain bike and want to upgrade to a suspension post. Who makes a
> > good one under $125? Any good online places to buy them? Thanks,
> >
> > Scott
>
> i've got a brooks conquest flyer on my road bike, and it does a good job. for off-road riding,
> however, i think you will be happier with a thudbuster. i've had one for two years and love mine.
> with four bad discs, anything that improves riding comfort is very important to me. they come with
> several different elastomers to adjust for your weight, in addition to a preload bolt to set
> initial sag. there are lots of places that sell them in your price range. jensonusa, nashbar,
> performance, speedgoat, and pricepoint are a few you might try. smokey

Thanks for the reply,

What about the Rockshox Suspension Post? Jensonusa has it for $45. Is the Thudbustor worth the extra
$70-80 more? I'm mostly going to be doing some hard trail, paved road type riding for now. If I keep
up on it, I might just and invest in a better full suspension bike later. Until then, maybe small
upgrades to my Giant CFM 4 like this post, a new saddle, handlebars, some decent used suspension
forks etc., may be good. Thanks again for the input,

Scott

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (smokey) writes:

>news:<[email protected]>...
>> I have a older Giant CFM mountain bike and want to upgrade to a suspension post. Who makes a good
>> one under $125? Any good online places to buy them? Thanks,
>>
>> Scott
>
>i've got a brooks conquest flyer on my road bike, and it does a good job. for off-road riding,
>however, i think you will be happier with a thudbuster. i've had one for two years and love mine.
>with four bad discs, anything that improves riding comfort is very important to me. they come with
>several different elastomers to adjust for your weight, in addition to a preload bolt to set
>initial sag. there are lots of places that sell them in your price range. jensonusa, nashbar,
>performance, speedgoat, and pricepoint are a few you might try. smokey

I agree with "smokey" Thudbuster is a great suspension seatpost, I've got one on my Klein and it
really soaks up the bumps.

Rock Shox and USE also make good suspension posts...beware the OEM types that come on most mid-level
hybrids...they are sold as aftermarket replacements too...they're usually not worth taking home.

Bill

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (smokey) wrote:
>
> > [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > > I have a older Giant CFM mountain bike and want to upgrade to a suspension post. Who makes a
> > > good one under $125? Any good online places to buy them? Thanks,
> > >
> > > Scott
> >
> > i've got a brooks conquest flyer on my road bike, and it does a good job. for off-road riding,
> > however, i think you will be happier with a thudbuster. i've had one for two years and love
> > mine. with four bad discs, anything that improves riding comfort is very important to me. they
> > come with several different elastomers to adjust for your weight, in addition to a preload bolt
> > to set initial sag. there are lots of places that sell them in your price range. jensonusa,
> > nashbar, performance, speedgoat, and pricepoint are a few you might try. smokey
>

> Thanks for the reply,
>
> What about the Rockshox Suspension Post? Jensonusa has it for $45. Is the Thudbustor worth the
> extra $70-80 more? I'm mostly going to be doing some hard trail, paved road type riding for now.
> If I keep up on it, I might just and invest in a better full suspension bike later. Until then,
> maybe small upgrades to my Giant CFM 4 like this post, a new saddle, handlebars, some decent used
> suspension forks etc., may be good. Thanks again for the input,
>
> Scott

i can't really comment on the rockshox post, i've never ridden one. on the MTBreview site, the
thudbuster has the highest rating of all posts. they sell pretty well on the used market, provided
you have a common size, like 27.2. the trails here in missouri often have lots of roots, rocks, and
washboard. if that's the kind of terrain you ride on, the thudbuster's for you. if you ride mostly
railtrails and pavement, you can probably do just as well with a less expensive post. smokey

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (smokey) wrote:

> [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> > > i've got a brooks conquest flyer on my road bike, and it does a good job. for off-road riding,
> > > however, i think you will be happier with a thudbuster. i've had one for two years and love
> > > mine. with four bad discs, anything that improves riding comfort is very important to me. they
> > > come with several different elastomers to adjust for your weight, in addition to a preload
> > > bolt to set initial sag. there are lots of places that sell them in your price range.
> > > jensonusa, nashbar, performance, speedgoat, and pricepoint are a few you might try. smokey
> >

> > Thanks for the reply,
> >
> > What about the Rockshox Suspension Post? Jensonusa has it for $45. Is the Thudbustor worth the
> > extra $70-80 more? I'm mostly going to be doing some hard trail, paved road type riding for now.
> > If I keep up on it, I might just and invest in a better full suspension bike later. Until then,
> > maybe small upgrades to my Giant CFM 4 like this post, a new saddle, handlebars, some decent
> > used suspension forks etc., may be good. Thanks again for the input,
> >
> > Scott
>
> i can't really comment on the rockshox post, i've never ridden one. on the MTBreview site, the
> thudbuster has the highest rating of all posts. they sell pretty well on the used market,
> provided you have a common size, like 27.2. the trails here in missouri often have lots of
> roots, rocks, and washboard. if that's the kind of terrain you ride on, the thudbuster's for
> you. if you ride mostly railtrails and pavement, you can probably do just as well with a less
> expensive post. smokey

Thanks smokey,

Yeah I won't be riding anywhere too rough. There might be an occasional alligator step out in front
of me(I'm in Tampa) but mostly I'll be riding modrate trails with a good mix of pavement riding at
times. I went ahead and got the $45 Rockshox. It should be fine for now. When I venture into a
little rougher riding I'll look into a Thudbustor. If I continue riding that much, I may just
upgrade my whole bike. Thanks again for the input,

Scott

"WBtobal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I agree with "smokey" Thudbuster is a great suspension
seatpost,
> I've got one on my Klein and it really soaks up the bumps.

Thudbusters work great, but some people don't like the "down and back" action.

> Rock Shox and USE also make good suspension posts...beware the OEM types that come on most
> mid-level hybrids...they
are
> sold as aftermarket replacements too...they're usually not
worth
> taking home.

Cannondale makes a post very similar to Rockshox'. Actually, all three of these posts are very
similar, and work pretty much the same. I've ridden them all a little. I'd rank them USE, Rockshox,
Cannondale. If you have a lot of seatpost showing the USE may be the only one that will work -- it's
the longest one on the market.

Matt O.