giving it back!!

Stephen Pridgeo

Guest
On friday I was going down the main road, coming up to a tight spot where cars will often try and
squeeze past me, usually I pull out and make them wait. Behind me I sense a car, 5 yrds behind. I
crawl along at 16mph, it waits behind me all the way (only about 20 - 30 yrds) until it can safely
overtake. Bless her, she gets caught at the next set of lights. I pull alongside, tap on her window,
and thank her for being so considerate. She was so shocked she didn't know what to say.

This morning, doing the weaving/bus lane thing in heavy traffic I get it slightly wrong and the
driver to my right gets a bit worried about a collision, pulls out and overtakes. 5 yrds later I'm
able to shout an apology through his open window and get a wave in return.

I think I may take sweets on my journey tomorrow, and give them out to people en route.

SteveP

I love it when motorists don't expect a "thank you" back :) It is a funny reaction at times! Hence I
work on the theory that a bit of courtesy back, such as a thank you spoken or waved is a good thing
to do - I hope they'll carry on being courteous and it shows not all cyclists are Lycar louts :)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> I love it when motorists don't expect a "thank you" back :) It is a funny reaction at times! Hence
> I work on the theory that a bit of courtesy back,
such
> as a thank you spoken or waved is a good thing to do - I hope they'll
carry on
> being courteous and it shows not all cyclists are Lycar louts :)
>
> Cheers, helen s

Go, on, I've got to..... Lycar louts, Helen ?.... I feel a new theme coming on..... Thanks for
that, Dave.

On 24 Feb 2003 02:14:25 -0800, [email protected] (stephen pridgeon) wrote:

>This morning, doing the weaving/bus lane thing in heavy traffic I get it slightly wrong and the
>driver to my right gets a bit worried about a collision, pulls out and overtakes. 5 yrds later I'm
>able to shout an apology through his open window and get a wave in return.

It's the best policy. 'tother day I was riding into Henley on the wedgie and went for the brakes
rather late at a mini roundabout (having got rather too used to the discs on the 'bent, I guess) -
matey in a Merc had his wits about him, saw me overshoot the line and stopped undramatically,
letting me get n with it. He went past, and I caught up with hi about a minute later (as you do).
Knocked on the window, I'm sure he was expecting an earful, but obviously I apologised and thanked
him. Hopefully the next cyclist he meets will reap the benefit.

Discourtesy is the scourge of modern road use, I think, and the more we smile and wave the more we
are doing our bit to save the world from Smith and his speed loonies :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

I usually wave or nod or otherwise acknowledge courtesy. Waving etc I keep to when I'm stopped at
lights/signs/roundabouts though, since I don't want anybody to misconstrue a signal/gesture.

I save all my big smiles for other cyclists though.

-Luigi "you can spot the happy cyclists from the bugs in their teeth"

On 24 Feb 2003 02:14:25 -0800, [email protected] (stephen pridgeon) wrote:

>On friday I was going down the main road, coming up to a tight spot where cars will often try and
>squeeze past me, usually I pull out and make them wait. Behind me I sense a car, 5 yrds behind. I
>crawl along at 16mph, it waits behind me all the way (only about 20 - 30 yrds) until it can safely
>overtake. Bless her, she gets caught at the next set of lights. I pull alongside, tap on her
>window, and thank her for being so considerate. She was so shocked she didn't know what to say.

Hi Steve

I can't make my mind up whether I prefer cars to zoom past me and get out of the way or be nice and
keep a polite distance behind where I'm not sure where they are. I suppose if a car sits behind at a
reasonable distance then I feel OK. Conversely, if a car sits only a few yards behind then I seem to
spend a lot of time looking over my shoulders to make sure it's behaving sensibly.

>I think I may take sweets on my journey tomorrow, and give them out to people en route.

I like those caramel Quality Street ones in the golden coloured wrapping.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:23:36 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Henley on the wedgie.

Thought it was called Henley on Thames.

>Discourtesy is the scourge of modern road use ...

It certainly is, Guy, whether is comes from cagers, wedgers :-/ or riders or proper bicycles. Just
don't get me started waffling (no, not you Helen) on about pedestrians.

However, if one almost becomes a splat on the tarmac then it is rather hard to keep one's cool.

James

--

James Hodson wrote:

> I can't make my mind up whether I prefer cars to zoom past me and get out of the way or be nice
> and keep a polite distance behind where I'm not sure where they are.

If it genuinely worries you, try a mirror. I'm not a great mirror advocate, but it does make it easy
to keep an eye on the road language of the cager behind - the ones who are very close and halfway
over the line are the ones to watch for :-/

--
Guy
===

James Hodson wrote:

> However, if one almost becomes a splat on the tarmac then it is rather hard to keep one's cool.

Heh! Picture me this morning shouting "******!!!" at the top of my voice after the, well, ****** who
ran me off the road :)

--
Guy
===

James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote
> >snip<<

> I like those caramel Quality Street ones in the golden coloured wrapping.

handy that you like the ones which no one else does ;-)

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:05:15 +0000, [email protected] (marc) wrote:

>> I like those caramel Quality Street ones in the golden coloured wrapping.
>
>The flat ones? They don't do them any more! :-(

WHAT? I'm going to make a noose.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.