The going rate for killing a cyclist

David Hansen

Guest
The going rate appears to be a £400 fine and given six penalty points if a recent casein Aberdeen is
anything to go by.

Nice to see that the courts put such a high value on the life of cyclists:-(

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=76732004

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=62692&command=displayContent&sourceNode=622-
44&contentPK=8573044

and

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=62692&command=displayContent&sourceNode=622-
44&contentPK=8562038

have some details.

I knew Sandy, he was a really nice guy. Myself and my friend Sherri, who also lost her husband in a cycling accident were travelling back from a time trial that Sandy had been competing in that morning, when we came across the accident scene.
This was a bright day with good visibilty and Sandy was wearing a yellow top.
It is an absolute disgrace that someones life is worth £400. The driver should have also received a substantial ban, if not a life ban. How else are drivers going to get the message to take more care ?

Andy

"David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> The going rate appears to be a £400 fine and given six penalty points if a recent casein Aberdeen
> is anything to go by.
>
> Nice to see that the courts put such a high value on the life of cyclists:-(

And a "lifetime of guilt". At least he stopped and did what he could to save the cyclists life. I
don't feel the sentence was particularly unfair, the last few paragraphs describe a Mr Ian Young who
killed a cyclist and lied to police about the incident. I'd be more interested in hearing the
sentence in that case.

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:48:44 +0000, David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The going rate appears to be a £400 fine and given six penalty points if a recent casein Aberdeen
>is anything to go by.
>
>Nice to see that the courts put such a high value on the life of cyclists:-(
>

>http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=76732004
>
>http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=62692&command=displayContent&sourceNode=62-
>244&contentPK=8573044
>
>and
>
>http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=62692&command=displayContent&sourceNode=62-
>244&contentPK=8562038
>
>have some details.

Round here we're worth 500UKP and 9 penalty points. Makes you want to spit, doesn't it.

http://www.thisishampshire.net/hampshire/farehamandgosport/news/FAREHAMANDGOSPORT_NEWS_NEWS1.html

NB. link looks like it will time-expire, so here's the text:

A WIDOW had told of how a moment's careless driving by a motorist cost her husband his life.

Karen Prince, 43, is now urging drivers to be more aware of cyclists after her husband Kevin was
knocked off his bike by a lorry that was trying to overtake him.

Last September the driver of that lorry, Geoffrey Adams, 53, from

admitting a charge of careless driving.

Yesterday an inquest into Mr Prince's death heard how the father of two had been finishing off his
morning delivery round as a postal worker in Gosport when he was knocked off his bike in
Brockhurst Road.

Witnesses described seeing an articulated lorry squeeze Mr Prince, 43, of Rowner Lane,
Gosport, against the kerbside, causing him to lose control of his bike and fall under the
wheels of the lorry.

Crash expert Stanley Gibbs suggested Mr Prince was left no more than 70cm in which to steer his bike
on the morning of April 22 last year.

He said: "The nub of this incident is why the driver of the lorry appears to have been oblivious and
not afforded enough space as the vehicle was overtaking."

Portsmouth coroner David Horsley also heard from Mr Prince's colleague Lorraine Hardy, who was
cycling behind him when the accident happened. She said: "The lorry was making contact with him, as
if it was pushing him, down his right side.

"He (Mr Prince) put his hand on the side of the lorry. He seemed to want to bang the lorry so it
would pull away from him."

Recording a verdict of accidental death, Mr Horsley said: "I believe the accident was due to
inattention and not a deliberate attempt to interfere with Kevin's cycle."

After the hearing Mrs Prince, 43, whose eldest son Dean, 20, is also a postman, said: "It was a
split second but it ruined our lives. Sometimes I see drivers on their phones or eating and it makes
me so angry I just want to beep my horn and tell them to pay attention.

"Our sons have their 18th and 21st birthdays coming up this year and Kev would have been so sorry to
have missed them."

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:59:52 GMT someone who may be "elyob"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I don't feel the sentence was particularly unfair,

I do. A driving ban of at least ten years would be appropriate.

>the last few paragraphs describe a Mr Ian Young who killed a cyclist and lied to police about the
>incident. I'd be more interested in hearing the sentence in that case.

That will indeed be interesting.

"David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:59:52 GMT someone who may be "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
> >I don't feel the sentence was particularly unfair,
>
> I do. A driving ban of at least ten years would be appropriate.

So, he probably won't be able perform his job, his family will starve ... and the French will
invade and take over the UK. Seriously, some accidents do happen. He wasn't drinking, he wasn't
speeding (or at least not mentioned), and there is no evidence on whether the cyclist pulled out in
front of the car.

Car drivers need to take more reponsibility behind the wheel, and this is across the board. There is
a problem with the training in this country. A new mobile phone law comes out which we all agree
should improve safety. However, drivers flaunt this law regularly. If I took some photos of drivers
using their mobiles, would I be able to present these to the police? Enough of people doing this
would create a fear of being caught, which no driver has at the moment.

elyob wrote:
> "David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I do. A driving ban of at least ten years would be appropriate.
>

> So, he probably won't be able perform his job, his family will starve ... and the French will
> invade and take over the UK. Seriously, some accidents do happen. He wasn't drinking, he wasn't
> speeding (or at least not mentioned), and there is no evidence on whether the cyclist pulled out
> in front of the car.

I would hardly class a driving ban as being an overly servere form of punishment in this case. You
get an instant 6 month ban for doing over a 100 on the motorway and not hurting anyone. You would
probably get more points as well.

> Car drivers need to take more reponsibility behind the wheel, and this is across the board.

And the penalty seen to be given to others may help in this regard.

Originally posted by Dave Larrington
Were there ever any legal proceedings or anything against the driver who hit Stevie D, Andy?

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
I dont believe there was any charges in the case of Steve's accident. As far as I can gather from the police (the cop in charge of the Traffic Division is my racing club), it has been put down to an accident.
Andy

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Seriously, some accidents do happen. He wasn't drinking, he wasn't speeding (or at least not
> mentioned), and there is no evidence on whether the cyclist pulled out in front of the car.

This was not an accident. You don't get fines and penalty points for accidents. Fines and penalty
points means that an offence was committed by the driver.

And as for "going rate" - this is about normal. No, the fine is higher than usual, but the six
points does seem to be normal.

--
Guy
===

http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

"[Not Responding]" wrote:
> Yesterday an inquest into Mr Prince's death heard how the father of two had been finishing off his
> morning delivery round as a postal worker in Gosport when he was knocked off his bike in
> Brockhurst Road.
>
> Witnesses described seeing an articulated lorry squeeze Mr Prince, 43, of Rowner Lane,
> Gosport, against the kerbside, causing him to lose control of his bike and fall under the
> wheels of the lorry.

A sad incident, and one that a h*lm*t would have done absolutely nothing to prevent. Wonder what
cause of death was recorded.

Sympathy to the family - and saliva to the Communication Workers' Union and Royal Mail.

Colin McKenzie

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:56:11 GMT someone who may be andhar
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>It is an absolute disgrace that someones life is worth £400.

It seems to be worse than that. Today's Daily Mirror in Scotland carries a short article about
someone who crashed his car into another at a junction. He only had a learner licence and no MOT
test for his car. Nobody was seriously hurt in the crash.

Four penalty points and £150 fine.

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:28:18 +0000, "[Not Responding]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)NB. link looks like it will time-expire, so here's the text: )

Thanks.

:)Crash expert Stanley Gibbs suggested Mr Prince was left no more than )70cm in which to steer his
:bike on the morning of April 22 last year. ) )He said: "The nub of this incident is why the driver
:eek:f the lorry )appears to have been oblivious and not afforded enough space as the )vehicle was
:eek:vertaking." )

Lack of taking up the primary riding position.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:56:11 GMT, andhar
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)I knew Sandy, he was a really nice guy. Myself and my friend Sherri, who )also lost her husband in
:a cycling accident were travelling back from a )time trial that Sandy had been competing in that
:morning, when we came )across the accident scene. This was a bright day with good visibilty and
:)Sandy was wearing a yellow top. It is an absolute disgrace that someones )life is worth £400. The
:driver should have also received a substantial )ban, if not a life ban. How else are drivers going
:to get the message to )take more care ? )

What's the option on taking civil action ? If the driver paid the family the annual income of the
deceased plus a one-off payment for the stress etc. caused.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:34:29 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]>
wrote:

:) )Car drivers need to take more reponsibility behind the wheel, and this is )across the board.
:There is a problem with the training in this country.

Agreed. A
:)new mobile phone law comes out which we all agree should improve safety. )However, drivers flaunt
:this law regularly.

The first time I used mine while "driving"* was to answer a call from a police officer !

6' behind an M&S artic, speed too low to register !
--
Comm again, Mike.