Some good reasons to eat Liver

THEMOM1 wrote:

> http://www.medicinalfoodnews.com/vol02/issue6/vit_info.htm
>
> --
> Helen

I like my mother's feelings on this. She (who happened to adore liver) questioned its health
benefits considering it is a filtering organ. She felt that the people *most* likely to eat it for
health reasons (anemia, for example) were those that should avoid it as they didn't need to be
exposed to what ever the "filter" was filtering out? Goomba

it is rich in iron, but that would not coax me into eating it, i hate the very thought.

Goomba38 wrote:
> I like my mother's feelings on this. She (who happened to adore liver) questioned its health
> benefits considering it is a filtering organ.

This is how I feel about liver.

Would you want to eat your car's oil filter or air filter? Well, I don't want to eat liver either!

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

John Gaughan wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>
>> I like my mother's feelings on this. She (who happened to adore liver) questioned its health
>> benefits considering it is a filtering organ.
>

> This is how I feel about liver.
>
> Would you want to eat your car's oil filter or air filter? Well, I don't want to eat liver either!
>
> --
> John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/ [email protected]

The liver is not a filter. It's a gland (body's largest, that produces a host of enzymes which
metabolize (break down) various substances. The substances don't stay in the liver, they are broken
down and either are let into the blood stream (the kidneys usually filter and excrete,) or let into
the biliary system where they are excreted into the intestines on their way to you know where.

Most people are clue less to the aforementioned. Matter of fact, most toxins (the fat soluble ones
are pretty nasty,) end up in fat, and stay there in the fat depots of the body. So eating a well
marbled piece of prime beef, should worry people more than eating organ meats.

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

One of my favorite meals is calf's liver & onions......if cooked the right way,,,,,it is so good!
Just my 2 cents.

"THEMOM1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.medicinalfoodnews.com/vol02/issue6/vit_info.htm
>

> --
> Helen
>
> Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the
> object of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him
>
> <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/
>
> http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html
>
> http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html
>

> 225/188.4/145

"THEMOM1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.medicinalfoodnews.com/vol02/issue6/vit_info.htm
>

> --
> Helen

I used to eat liver... as a child, ironically enough. When I was 17/18 though, my favorite show cow
(I grew up on a dairy farm, for those who haven't caught that in prior post) became really sick. We
took her to the vet school at Auburn, where she was diagnosed as having a liver problem. Ever since
then, it's kind of killed my appetite for beef liver. I've never eaten veal liver as, while I'm a
meat eater, I will not eat baby animals.

I'll still eat chicken livers though. Trouble is, I can't seem to find them out here in CA. My mom
thinks I should probably just look harder at the grocery, which is probably the truth...

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 04:31:30 GMT, "DRB" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'll still eat chicken livers though. Trouble is, I can't seem to find them out here in CA. My mom
>thinks I should probably just look harder at the grocery, which is probably the truth...

I get 'em from the grocery store meat section. In pint plastic cartons beside the chicken. They're
about $1/lb.

While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, Charles Quinn of
EarthLink Inc. -- http://www.EarthLink.net said:

>ooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhh my gout is hurting my big toe.

Not to mention that it's not good for you with too much vit A, which liver is plenty rich in. Too
much iron isn't good for you either, as I understand it.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18 ICQ# 251532856 Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-
bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN "Endless fun for drunken ex-pats. And more socially acceptable than dwarf-

In my home country, we eat it all the time. I don't eat some of the various other things that people
eat too (goat testicles, goat intestines, goat leg soup, brain, etc). but chicken livers, fried
really crispy, are yummy. If cooked soggy, I don't like it much.

There's no explanation for cultural distaste. But it's not a universal argument against a particualr
food item.

salty