Can you still get nailed boots?

Jon McD

Guest
Walking to work this morning over the ice covered pavements, my Vibram soled walking boots didn't
seem to offer any better grip than ordinary shoes - I was sliding about like everyone else. I could
have dug out my crampons but that seems a bit OTT. A pair of nailed boots seems the obvious
solution, but I have only ever seen them pictured in books about the early days of climbing. Is it
still possible to buy them anywhere?

Plan B is to bang some hob nails I acquired years ago into an old pair of boots. Might only get used
a few days each year, but I do hate shuffling along on the ice with tiny steps then falling on my
**** onto the soggy pavement.

Jon

"Jon McD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Walking to work this morning over the ice covered pavements, my Vibram
soled
> walking boots didn't seem to offer any better grip than ordinary shoes - I was sliding about like
> everyone else. I could have dug out my crampons but that seems a bit OTT. A pair of nailed boots
> seems the obvious solution,
but
> I have only ever seen them pictured in books about the early days of climbing. Is it still
> possible to buy them anywhere?
>
> Plan B is to bang some hob nails I acquired years ago into an old pair of boots. Might only get
> used a few days each year, but I do hate shuffling along on the ice with tiny steps then falling
> on my **** onto the soggy pavement.

Can't recall where I last saw them, but have a search for "instep crampons" - would be just the job
for what you describe.

druidh

"druidh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jon McD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:401ac5fe$0$9392$cc9e4d1f@news-
> text.dial.pipex.com...
> > Walking to work this morning over the ice covered pavements, my Vibram
> soled
> > SNIP !!! <<<<<<<<<<<<<>

Try (eg , there are other suppliers)

http://www.countrytrails.co.uk/acatalog/Travel_Goods_Online__Trimmi_Bogtrotters_19.html

with the little metal studs in them work perfectly, as long as you don't mind looking like a green
footed elf from the LOTR extras coachtrip....

You ** must ** put the studs in before you use them or the little 'oles fill up with mud.

or, plan B, move to a more sensible country where the local council have snow-ploughs & gritters
for PAVEMENTS

= we call this other country Scotland... (Fort William being an excellent
example).

It also has the advantage that the locals are used to snow 'n ice & don't get in a panic & slide all
over the place when it snows..., or worse, drive too damnably close to a chap like they do down in
England (Ascot/Bracknell/Reading these past couple of days)

Yours aye, wee Rab

---

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:00:47 -0000, "Jon McD" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Walking to work this morning over the ice covered pavements, my Vibram soled walking boots didn't
>seem to offer any better grip than ordinary shoes - I was sliding about like everyone else.

I've found this too. But at least your feet will stay dry.

[Thinks: I should put my spiked golf shoes on. However, I can see those not going down terribly well
in the local paper shop... And on the really glassy stuff, nothing works. You're better off
deliberately sliding along.]

--
Please let me know if you did not receive this.

Mail john rather than nospam...

"Rab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2JASb.829$ny4.492@news-
> binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
> >

> > "Jon McD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:401ac5fe$0$9392$cc9e4d1f@news-
> > text.dial.pipex.com...
> > > Walking to work this morning over the ice covered pavements, my Vibram
> > soled
> > > SNIP !!! <<<<<<<<<<<<<>
>

> Try (eg , there are other suppliers)

http://www.countrytrails.co.uk/acatalog/Travel_Goods_Online__Trimmi_Bogtrotters_19.html

> with the little metal studs in them work perfectly, as long as you don't mind looking like a green
> footed elf from the LOTR extras coachtrip....

SNIP

Thanks for the suggestion, they look like they should do the job.

I Googled this before posting without coming up with much, but then started thinking about the
gridlock around London and whether it was worth getting snow chains for the car. Probably not
worth it without a law that everyone has to carry them in their car, otherwise the roads just get
blocked by cars without them sliding about. Looking at snow chains at http://www.roofbox.co.uk/
and what do I find but the "RUD 'Bergsteiger' Shoe Chain", as used by the Royal Mail they say.
Can't say I've seen our postie with them, but it's another posibility and they don't have the
"green footed elf" look.

Jon

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 00:14:12 -0000, "Jon McD" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Rab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2JASb.829$ny4.492@news-
>> binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> >

>> > "Jon McD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:401ac5fe$0$9392$cc9e4d1f@news-
>> > text.dial.pipex.com...
>> > soled
>>

>> Try (eg , there are other suppliers)
>>

>http://www.countrytrails.co.uk/acatalog/Travel_Goods_Online__Trimmi_Bogtrotters_19.html
>>
>> with the little metal studs in them work perfectly, as long as you don't mind looking like a
>> green footed elf from the LOTR extras coachtrip....
>>
>SNIP
>
>Thanks for the suggestion, they look like they should do the job.
>
>I Googled this before posting without coming up with much, but then started thinking about the
>gridlock around London and whether it was worth getting snow chains for the car. Probably not
>worth it without a law that everyone has to carry them in their car, otherwise the roads just get
>blocked by cars without them sliding about. Looking at snow chains at http://www.roofbox.co.uk/
>and what do I find but the "RUD 'Bergsteiger' Shoe Chain", as used by the Royal Mail they say.
>Can't say I've seen our postie with them, but it's another posibility and they don't have the
>"green footed elf" look.
>

>Jon

For temporary relief put an old pair of socks on over your boots. You look a right plonker and sock
life is minimal but it will let you walk on ice no problems.

--
79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other 42% are made up later on. In Warwick -
looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

"Jon McD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Walking to work this morning over the ice covered pavements, my Vibram
soled
> walking boots didn't seem to offer any better grip than ordinary shoes - I was sliding about like
> everyone else. I could have dug out my crampons but that seems a bit OTT. A pair of nailed boots
> seems the obvious solution,
but
> I have only ever seen them pictured in books about the early days of climbing. Is it still
> possible to buy them anywhere?
>
> Plan B is to bang some hob nails I acquired years ago into an old pair of boots. Might only get
> used a few days each year, but I do hate shuffling along on the ice with tiny steps then falling
> on my **** onto the soggy pavement.

This link appeared over in rec.running recently. http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm. I'm sure it
would work as well with walking shoes.

Looks a brilliant solution but unfortunately, I can't source the screws in the UK. :-(

Tim

[email protected] (Chris Street) writes:

>For temporary relief put an old pair of socks on over your boots. You look a right plonker and sock
>life is minimal but it will let you walk on ice no problems.

Coarse hemp cord works very well and saves your socks. String is probably as good as socks. Don't
you always carry some string in your pocket ?-)

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Sandy wrote:
> Tim Downie wrote:
>> Looks a brilliant solution but unfortunately, I can't source the screws in the UK. :-(
>>
>> Tim
>
> Do a google search on "wader studs".

Brilliant! It's amazing what a difference knowing the proper term makes.

Cheers.

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email. Please support rheumatoid arthritis research! Visit
http://www.justgiving.com/pfp/speyside or http://www,justgiving.com/speyside if you're a UK

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:36:20 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Chris
Malcolm) wrote:

>[email protected] (Chris Street) writes:
>
>>For temporary relief put an old pair of socks on over your boots. You look a right plonker and
>>sock life is minimal but it will let you walk on ice no problems.
>
>Coarse hemp cord works very well and saves your socks. String is probably as good as socks. Don't
>you always carry some string in your pocket ?-)

Bootlaces usually but old socks are easier to put on....
--
79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other 42% are made up later on. In Warwick -
looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

In article <[email protected]>, Jon McD <[email protected]> writes
>Walking to work this morning over the ice covered pavements, my Vibram soled walking boots didn't
>seem to offer any better grip than ordinary shoes - I was sliding about like everyone else. I could
>have dug out my crampons but that seems a bit OTT. A pair of nailed boots seems the obvious
>solution, but I have only ever seen them pictured in books about the early days of climbing. Is it
>still possible to buy them anywhere?

Sorry to be a bit late answering this posting, but I have mentioned before somewhere - Try Hawkshead
they do a Lomer boot and shoe which have tungsten studs on a bracket under the sole that can be
pivoted forward to bring the studs into play or backwards to render them inactive (the direction of
pivoting is by memory and may be reversed). I've seen the product and the price for my rare use was
a bit too high but generally not expensive.
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk