The Yorkshire Dales?

Michael Brockhu

Guest
Does anyone know where I can find a list of all the Yorkshire Dales? I am planning a walk that will
cover them all and a list would be really useful. Thanks.

--
Tel: 01132 584000 Mobile: 07729826619 Email: [email protected] Web Site:
www.walkingenglishman.com

In article <[email protected]>, Michael Brockhurst
<[email protected]> writes
>Does anyone know where I can find a list of all the Yorkshire Dales? I am planning a walk that will
>cover them all and a list would be really useful. Thanks.

This is probably one of this "how long is the coastline of England" questions. Do you count valleys
south of the Aire Gap (e.g Calderdale)? Do you count valleys on the west flank of the Pennines (e.g.
Ribblesdale, Garsdale, Dentdale)? Do you count side valleys (e.g. Arkengarthdale, Littondale,
Langstrothdale)? Do you count Teesdale? or other valleys north of Stainmore (e.g. Deep Dale)? Do you
count valleys in the North York Moors? Do they have to have "dale" in the name?

The principle eastward draining valleys of the Askrigg Block (the area of high ground known as the
Yorkshire Dales) are Wharfedale, Nidderdale, Wensleydale and Swaledale. The Aire rises in the
Askrigg Block, but for most of its length Airedale lies south of the Askrigg Block. The Tees rises
in the Alston Block, but some of the Teesdale catchment is on the Askrigg Block.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 12:53:01 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
<{$news$}@meden.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Michael Brockhurst
><[email protected]> writes
>>Does anyone know where I can find a list of all the Yorkshire Dales? I am planning a walk that
>>will cover them all and a list would be really useful. Thanks.
>
>This is probably one of this "how long is the coastline of England" questions.

My personal version of the Dales, although it is a few years since it was a regular stomping ground:

>Do you count valleys south of the Aire Gap (e.g Calderdale)?

No.

>Do you count valleys on the west flank of the Pennines (e.g. Ribblesdale, Garsdale, Dentdale)?

Yes.

>Do you count side valleys (e.g. Arkengarthdale, Littondale, Langstrothdale)?

Might as well.

>Do you count Teesdale? or other valleys north of Stainmore (e.g. Deep Dale)?

No. But there is at least one Deepdale in my Dales.

>Do you count valleys in the North York Moors?

No.

>Do they have to have "dale" in the name?

Can't think of any that don't.