A certain someone is discredited

On 03 Feb 2004 07:43:25 GMT, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
) http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1137531,00.html

All very well, but Smith is only really lambasted for a dubious choice of both logo and affiliation.
There's no mention of his atrocious grasp of statistics, a knowledge so sparse and wretched that he
doesn't even know what he doesn't know. That's where the real harm lies.

It's as bad as YouGov polls: anyone would think nobody read Private Eye any more.

J-P
--
"This book is dedicated with tenderness and respect to the blameless vulva."

[email protected] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) writes:

> See
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1137531,00.html

'Although it claims to be a single-issue group, it has connections with politically motivated
campaigns opposing Britain's membership of the EU and backing field sports.'

Why does this not surprise me at all?

;; If you're doing this for fun, do what seems fun. If you're ;; doing it for money, stop
now. ;; Rainer Deyke

"j-p.s" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> On 03 Feb 2004 07:43:25 GMT, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote: )
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1137531,00.html
>
> All very well, but Smith is only really lambasted for a dubious choice of both logo and
> affiliation. There's no mention of his atrocious grasp of statistics, a knowledge so sparse and
> wretched that he doesn't even know what he doesn't know. That's where the real harm lies.

He's described as scottish too. Note: he's from london and hiding from the real world by moving to
the middle of nowhere.

I'd just like to repeat that he'd find it perfectly safe to go at 150mph on his local A road, or
test the maximum speed of his car on a motorway when he sees fit.

burt wrote:

> "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040203024325.25908.00000990@mb-
> m23.aol.com...
>
>>See
>>
>>http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1137531,00.html
>>
>>Cheers, helen s
>

> wonderful, not least for the most fatuously stupid quote I've read recently "But Mr Gregory said
> its support had rocketed in recent months amid growing concern about speed cameras: "Motorists are
> pig sick of this wurlitzer which is being camouflaged as a safety exercise."

He'd better watch out. The Mighty Wurlitzer was blown up by Grytpype-Thynne for speeding.

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> He's described as scottish too. Note: he's from london and hiding from the real world by moving to
> the middle of nowhere.

Hey, he's not in the middle of nowhere. He's just in the middle of a lowly populated somewhere. And
if London is the "real world" then I'd choose unreality every time :)

Graeme

On 03 Feb 2004 07:43:25 GMT, [email protected]
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote:

>See
>
>http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1137531,00.html

I'm not sure if the article is implying that Paul Smith is a Nazi, but the SafeSpeed logo is
certainly not "SS" on a red background, nor would any sane person think it is anything but a simple
modification of a speed limit sign, which kinda makes sense?

The Guardian is full of ****.

Gareth

"Gareth Attrill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm not sure if the article is implying that Paul Smith is a Nazi, but the SafeSpeed logo is
> certainly not "SS" on a red background, nor would any sane person think it is anything but a
> simple modification of a speed limit sign, which kinda makes sense?

He wants a final solution to the cyclist problem by removing speed limits ;-)

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:35:02 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote:

>[email protected] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) writes:
>
>> See
>>
>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1137531,00.html
>
> 'Although it claims to be a single-issue group, it has connections with politically motivated
> campaigns opposing Britain's membership of the EU and backing field sports.'
>
>Why does this not surprise me at all?

I don't get this at all. What 'connections' does it have as an organisation to anti-EU or pro field
sports groups? If the connections are no more than acting towards a common objective then I don't
see this as worth reporting.

It smacks of an attempt to create a shadowy right-ist conspiracy on the basis that SS and the
Countryside Alliance both want low fuel taxes.

Also, it reeks of poor journalism to need to do this. Challenge the arguments (that's easy enough),
challenge the claim to be 'the voice of the motorist' but who cares if PS is a member of the CA in
his spare time.

"Gareth Attrill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 03 Feb 2004 07:43:25 GMT, [email protected] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote:
>
> >See
> >
> >http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1137531,00.html
>
> I'm not sure if the article is implying that Paul Smith is a Nazi, but the SafeSpeed logo is
> certainly not "SS" on a red background, nor would any sane person think it is anything but a
> simple modification of a speed limit sign, which kinda makes sense?
>
> The Guardian is full of ****.

He did say he finds the UK overpopulated and thought it would be a good idea if the population went
into decline and to ensure the smaller working population weren't burdened hinted that euthanasia
for old folks was acceptable.

Now I'm getting older and that worried me a bit ;-)
--
Regards, Pete

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > I'm not sure if the article is implying that Paul Smith is a Nazi, but

> He did say he finds the UK overpopulated and thought it would be a good
idea
> if the population went into decline and to ensure the smaller working population weren't burdened
> hinted that euthanasia for old folks was acceptable.

And don't forget his comments on the disabled...

Incidentally, I think he's a vanity surfer so using "P**l Sm*th" is recommended ;-)

--
Guy
===

Peter B wrote:

> He did say he finds the UK overpopulated and thought it would be a good idea if the population
> went into decline and to ensure the smaller working population weren't burdened hinted that
> euthanasia for old folks was acceptable.

What better way to cull the old codgers than have cars travelling at high speed through
urban streets. Either you skittle them on the roads or they can never get to the shops and
starve to death.

Tony

"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> writes:

> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:35:02 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >[email protected] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) writes:
> >
> >> See
> >>
> >> http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1137531,00.html
> >
> > 'Although it claims to be a single-issue group, it has connections with politically motivated
> > campaigns opposing Britain's membership of the EU and backing field sports.'
> >
> >Why does this not surprise me at all?
>
> I don't get this at all. What 'connections' does it have as an organisation to anti-EU or pro
> field sports groups? If the connections are no more than acting towards a common objective then I
> don't see this as worth reporting.

They're all extreme right-wing reactionary stances. The horse owning classes should have the right
to barge across the countryside, making a great nuisnce of themselves and exterminating wildlife;
the car owning classes should have the right to drive around at unlimited speeds in any state of
inebriation that seems appropriate to them, irrespective of whom the kill in the process; and us
little serfs and those nosy beurocrats in Brussels should just butt out. Essentially, their stance
is 'liberty without responsibility for all who can afford it'.

> Also, it reeks of poor journalism to need to do this. Challenge the arguments (that's easy
> enough), challenge the claim to be 'the voice of the motorist' but who cares if PS is a member of
> the CA in his spare time.

Because, not particularly suspecting that there's any real conspiracy, the same small coterie of right-
wing 'libertarian' loonies turn up in all these places.

;; Usenet: like distance learning without the learning.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Incidentally, I think he's a vanity surfer so using "P**l Sm*th" is recommended ;-)

That must be the only form of vanity he enjoys. I thought he was a refugee from "The League Of
Gentlemen" when I saw his website.