LANCE sharp on the couch

Bart

Guest
While QSD was doing their Molenberg coup Saturday, Lance called Demol on his cell phone to say Van
Heeswijk was doing pulls when he shouldnt.

Demol, with his little car monitor and not behind the break yet, hadnt realised Van Heeswijk was
already in the first group then.

"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> While QSD was doing their Molenberg coup Saturday, Lance called Demol on his cell phone to say Van
> Heeswijk was doing pulls when he shouldnt.
>
> Demol, with his little car monitor and not behind the break yet, hadnt realised Van Heeswijk was
> already in the first group then.

Where did you hear this?

Did your source say why the *%?&! every other team was so passive?

Robert Chung wrote:

> Where did you hear this?

I read it somewhere.

> Did your source say why the *%?&! every other team was so passive?

was it passivity? I dont think so.

Lotto was consistent with how they appeared in other races. Telekom suffered most from crashes.
Rabobank had an extremely unexperienced team (kudos to Freire for suffering to the finish twice,
investing for years to come).

Who else then? Alessio and Saeco, CA maybe. Dont forget that on the Muur 100 riders ware walking.
Then many already rule it's not gonna be their day, more important races to come etc.

Also the importance of course knowledge is extremely high in these races. There are a dozen fatal
opportunities to be too far at the back. Its not just about knowing the hills who return in some
other races anyway.

While Museeuw, Bettini and a topfit VDB might actually be the 3 best single-day racers, I dont share
the sentiment they will be too dominating in the World Cup or at least the races over here. The best
team yes, anything less would be weak.

dunno if this was somehow clear but :

a real dominace in strength was hugely enhanced by the specifics of this race.

"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote
> was it passivity? I dont think so.
>
> Lotto was consistent with how they appeared in other races.

I would have thought PVP was familiar with the course. It kinda surprised me that he didn't even try
to bridge up with van Heeswijk at the Molenberg. Lotto came to the front with maybe 40km to go and a
2 minute gap, but that wasn't going to cut it. Too little too late.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I would have thought PVP was familiar with the course. It kinda surprised
me
> that he didn't even try to bridge up with van Heeswijk at the Molenberg. Lotto came to the front
> with maybe 40km to go and a 2 minute gap, but that wasn't going to cut it. Too little too late.

He tried, but he said he didn't have the legs. No excuses. He also said that when he won the Ronde
in '99 he did nothing in Het Volk.

Here's a pic of VH bridging (in the background). Not bad, considering Johan was giving it a bit.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/?id=2003/mar03/hetvolk/FS009

cheers, Jeff

"Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > I would have thought PVP was familiar with the course. It kinda
surprised
> me
> > that he didn't even try to bridge up with van Heeswijk at the Molenberg. Lotto came to the front
> > with maybe 40km to go and a 2 minute gap, but
that
> > wasn't going to cut it. Too little too late.
> >
> He tried, but he said he didn't have the legs. No excuses. He also said
that
> when he won the Ronde in '99 he did nothing in Het Volk.
>
> Here's a pic of VH bridging (in the background). Not bad, considering
Johan
> was giving it a bit. http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/?id=2003/mar03/hetvolk/FS009

In that photo Bettini looks like a kid riding 650C wheels.

"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> While QSD was doing their Molenberg coup Saturday, Lance called Demol on his cell phone to say Van
> Heeswijk was doing pulls when he shouldnt.

Calling on experience from the Amstel Gold race, I see...

> Demol, with his little car monitor and not behind the break yet, hadnt realised Van Heeswijk was
> already in the first group then.

Too bad Lance wasn't so aware during the 2000 Olympic road race.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Daniel Connelly" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > Jeff Jones wrote:
> > > Here's a pic of VH bridging (in the background). Not bad, considering
> Johan
> > > was giving it a bit. http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/?id=2003/mar03/hetvolk/FS009
> >

> > Well, GW missed this one, but he did get :
> > http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/images/03hetvolk/$file/12.jpg
> >

> I like the way he's pointing out the road hazard (i.e., Watson) to the
guys
> behind.

You mean signing for MVH to get his **** to the front...

SB

news:<[email protected]>...
> "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > While QSD was doing their Molenberg coup Saturday, Lance called Demol on his cell phone to say
> > Van Heeswijk was doing pulls when he shouldnt.
>
> Calling on experience from the Amstel Gold race, I see...
>

> > Demol, with his little car monitor and not behind the break yet, hadnt realised Van Heeswijk was
> > already in the first group then.
>
> Too bad Lance wasn't so aware during the 2000 Olympic road race.

Riding at the back and not knowing the break is off, keeps you from doing too many pulls.