http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839

Zub
post #2 of 83

Re: SUV's

In article <cc89102a.0301081306.473abf47@posting.google.com>, zubeneschemali@hotmail.com (Kiem
Madvanen) wrote:

> http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839
>
> Zub

I like how this story suggests that SUVs have not caught on in Japan because of some community
spirit, and not because gas is more expensive, large SUVs don't fit on Japan-sized roads, parking it
would be impossible, and the general lack of interest in American-built vehicles there.

--
Ryan Cousineau, rcousine@sfu.ca http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
post #3 of 83

Re: SUV's

Well, after having almost gotten mowed down today by not one, but TWO SUV's, I can ascertain that
SUV owners are extremely aggressive. I have had close calls with other types of cars but nowhere
near as close as SUV calls...

Just my 2c.

Daniel

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Danny Callen wrote:

> "G.T." <ethan_t@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > Danny Callen wrote:
> > > "Kiem Madvanen" <zubeneschemali@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > What a bunch of total bull****.
> >
> > I thought it was pretty accurate.
> >

> Sorry if I sound offensive but are you freakin' kidding? That kind of ignorance is hilarious!
>
> Danny Callen
post #4 of 83

Re: SUV's

Danny Callen wrote:
> "Kiem Madvanen" <zubeneschemali@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839
>>
>>Zub
>

> What a bunch of total bull****.

I thought it was pretty accurate.

> What has this got to do with Bike Racing?

Nothing. Are we supposed to be discussing Bike Racing or something?

Greg

post #5 of 83

Re: SUV's

Uh oh, Danny, better trade in that behemoth of yours. Looks like you took this one a little
personally.

I think what it has to do with bike racing is that when I finally get killed by a car on the road
while I'm riding (and I'm quite certain it's inevitable) it'll probably be by someone in an SUV.

Adam

in article avi83a$gt4$1@slb6.atl.mindspring.net, Danny Callen at dancall@ix.netcom.com wrote on
1/8/03 5:18 PM:

> "Kiem Madvanen" <zubeneschemali@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839
>>
>> Zub
>
> What a bunch of total bull****. What has this got to do with Bike Racing?
>
> Danny Callen
post #6 of 83

Re: SUV's

This is not BS. It is A very accurate description of the driver mentality here in Lamorinda: GET OUT
OF MY WAY!.

Danny Callen wrote:
> "Kiem Madvanen" <zubeneschemali@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839
>>
>>Zub
>

> What a bunch of total bull****. What has this got to do with Bike Racing?
>
> Danny Callen
post #7 of 83

Re: SUV's

"Danny Callen" <dancall@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> "Kiem Madvanen" <zubeneschemali@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839
>
> What a bunch of total bull****. What has this got to do with Bike Racing?

I don't know what it's like out where you are but in California that article is dead square on. Oh,
sure, there are still the few people that buy an SUV because they have a legitimate need for the
things but SUV sales are 100 times those uses.

The Cadillac Escalades and Lincoln Navigators are the SUV's most likely to be seen in the commuter
lane with one person inside and driving above 80 mph. Often you can see them swerving from lane to
lane to get one more car length ahead. You'll see them squeeze in between two cars rather than wait
30 seconds for a clearing to move up. Assholes on a scale that should be jailed, but the California
Highway Patrol has relinquished the freeways to anarchy.

This would be bad enough but the driving of people like that brings out the animal in almost
everyone else as well. A couple of months ago a propane tanker passed me. I was in the fast lane and
he was in the commuter lane to the left. I was doing above the speed limit and the truck limit is 10
mph slower than the car limit. 1/4 mile up the road the propane truck slammed on his brakes and
screeched across 5 lanes of heavy traffic to take the exit. All traffic came to a complete stop on
the freeway. That exit is where the Highway Patrol office is.

And that's what people think of the law now and the SUV is the leader of the pack.
post #8 of 83

Re: SUV's

I wonder if I drove my bike into the eave of the garage on the top of a SUV it would be worse or
better? I might be able to compete in some specific cycling worlds event under a classification with
only me in it and become world champ...??? class- masters- suv driving - disabled - world
champion....

sounds good
post #9 of 83

Re: SUV's

Weren't you driving a KIA imitation SUV? :-)

Brian

--
It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.--Voltaire Together We Can End Violence,
Exploitation and War Visit UU PeaceWork, AFSC and True Majority
"Adam Hodges Myerson" <adam@cycle-smart.com> wrote in message
> Uh oh, Danny, better trade in that behemoth of yours. Looks like you took this one a little
> personally.
>
> I think what it has to do with bike racing is that when I finally get
killed
> by a car on the road while I'm riding (and I'm quite certain it's inevitable) it'll probably be by
> someone in an SUV.
>
> Adam
>
> in article avi83a$gt4$1@slb6.atl.mindspring.net, Danny Callen at dancall@ix.netcom.com wrote on
> 1/8/03 5:18 PM:
>

> > "Kiem Madvanen" <zubeneschemali@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839
> >>
> >> Zub
> >
> > What a bunch of total bull****. What has this got to do with Bike
Racing?

> > Danny Callen

post #10 of 83

Re: SUV's

Adam Hodges Myerson <adam@cycle-smart.com> wrote in message

> I think what it has to do with bike racing is that when I finally get killed by a car on the road
> while I'm riding (and I'm quite certain it's inevitable) it'll probably be by someone in an SUV.

Adam, you're completely safe cause only the good die young.
post #11 of 83

Re: SUV's

wow, good thing that writer isnt too biased..

As a former SUV owner, I can saw I've reformed and now drive a car (WRX)- now, when I drive over
things, its relatively easy to tell what/who they are~

an interesting factoid related to this article: I heard to that for 2002 tax purposes, there is a
"large SUV" loophole which states that if you bought a large SUV last year, you'd be able to write
off the entire purchase because the vehicle can be used for work-related driving. my friend had read
an article about why several politicians were now buyuing large SUVs- this could be part of the
reason why sales of very large SUVs had increased...

I heard it through the grapevine, but it was from a relatively reliable source.

Sean
post #12 of 83

Re: SUV's

Danny Callen wrote:
> "G.T." <ethan_t@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>
>>Danny Callen wrote:
>>
>>>"Kiem Madvanen" <zubeneschemali@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>What a bunch of total bull****.
>>
>>I thought it was pretty accurate.
>>

> Sorry if I sound offensive but are you freakin' kidding?

I thought it was pretty accurate.

> That kind of ignorance is hilarious!

Then start pointing out all the "ignorance".

"They tend to like fine restaurants a lot more than off-road driving."

"Bradsher quotes a former Ford market researcher who says the SUV craze is 'about not letting
anything get in your way, and at the extreme, about intimidating others to get out of your way.'"

"baby boomers have embraced the four-wheel-drive SUV as a symbol of their ability to defy the
conventions of old age, of their independence and 'outdoorsiness,'".

"The occupant death rate in SUVs is 6 percent higher than it is for cars – 8 percent higher in the
largest SUVs. The main reason is that SUVs carry a high risk of rollover; 62 percent of SUV deaths
in 2000 occurred in rollover accidents."

"Government researchers have found that a behemoth like the four-ton Chevy Tahoe kills 122 people
for every 1 million models on the road; by comparison, the Honda Accord only kills 21."

"But if soccer moms and office-park dads really need to ferry a lot of people around, they could
simply get a large car or a minivan."

Sounds accurate to me. Your name is really Danielle and you own a Navigator to take your kids to
soccer practice, huh?

Greg

post #13 of 83

Re: SUV's

Yeah, but Allison's mom bought it for her when she was in college, _and_ it still got 25 mpg. Before
we met, so I take no blame.

It died at 106,000 miles. Overheated, blown engine. We just got a Toyota Echo, so now I can be
really self-righteous. (I do still have the '84 diesel Merc.)

Danny has some huge boat of an SUV, but I can't remember what it is.

Adam

in article Jz3T9.544$Dq.41450@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net, Brian Lafferty at
javaeye@earthlink.net wrote on 1/8/03 7:42 PM:

> Weren't you driving a KIA imitation SUV? :-)
>
> Brian
post #14 of 83

Re: SUV's

Danny Callen wrote:
> "Adam Hodges Myerson" <adam@cycle-smart.com> wrote in message
>
>>Uh oh, Danny, better trade in that behemoth of yours. Looks like you took this one a little
>>personally.
>>
>>I think what it has to do with bike racing is that when I finally get
>
> killed
>
>>by a car on the road while I'm riding (and I'm quite certain it's inevitable) it'll probably be by
>>someone in an SUV.
>>
>>Adam
>>

> Ney ney.. i got rid of the "behemoth" when I didn't need it anymore.

Why did you need it?

> I still drive an SUV but it gets 25 MPG. It's just idiotic to stereotype any particular type of
> driver to a certain type of vehicle.

I still haven't seen you pick apart those stereotypes.

> That's like saying all bike riders are skinny wimpy fags.

99% of them then.

> Come on Adam, I know you're more intelligent than that.

He is, that's why he's not whinging about the article.

> BTW, I don't take it personally whatsoever. I drive aggressively no matter what damn vehicle
> I'm in!!!

Hope you're not in SoCal because I tend to aggressively stomp aggressive drivers into the ground if
they're threatening my life and they're stupid enough to stop. My legs are meant for stomping on
dickhead drivers:

http://www.monkeyhillcs.com/humour/r...ndInAction.jpg

Greg "the 1%" T.

post #15 of 83

Re: SUV's

In article <avikab$o9h$1@slb6.atl.mindspring.net>, "Danny Callen" <dancall@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> "Adam Hodges Myerson" <adam@cycle-smart.com> wrote in message
> > Uh oh, Danny, better trade in that behemoth of yours. Looks like you took this one a little
> > personally.
> >
> > I think what it has to do with bike racing is that when I finally get
> killed
> > by a car on the road while I'm riding (and I'm quite certain it's inevitable) it'll probably be
> > by someone in an SUV.
> >
> > Adam
> >

> Ney ney.. i got rid of the "behemoth" when I didn't need it anymore. I still drive an SUV but it
> gets 25 MPG. It's just idiotic to stereotype any particular type of driver to a certain type of
> vehicle. That's like saying all bike riders are skinny wimpy fags. Come on Adam, I know you're
> more intelligent than that. If the article was about how all Chinese are bad drivers or all blacks
> drive Toyota's you'd all be up in arms. I don't go for stereo- typing.
>
> BTW, I don't take it personally whatsoever. I drive aggressively no matter what damn vehicle
> I'm in!!!
>
> Danny Callen

Caballeros:

The last "Death Race 2000" wannabe to try to take me out on a road ride was driving some little
****box hatchback with more whisky dents than Charles Bukowski's face.

Cheers,

Patrick O'Grady Mad Dog Media (who drives a 4WD truck)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Road Cycling
This thread is locked