Fresh Fruit Compote

Daisy

Guest
I have mislaid a recipe I once had for making strawberry compote. I have an amount of fresh
strawberries and would like to make a compote for dinner tomorrow when the family arrive.

I have a feeling I used to boil up a syrup of sugar, water, and some sort of red liqueur like cassis
- or even port wine. I would add some gelatine that had been dissolved in water (say about 1
tablespoon?) I would place the fresh strawberries in a bowl and pour over the syrup/gelatine mixture
and leave to set.

I cannot remember if the above is correct or not. Can anyone help me?

Oh, I am in summer where I am. That's why I have extra strawberries. But I think a compote should
embrace other fresh fruits also.

Thanx

Daisy.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.

Daisy wrote:

> I have mislaid a recipe I once had for making strawberry compote. I have an amount of fresh
> strawberries and would like to make a compote for dinner tomorrow when the family arrive.
>
> I have a feeling I used to boil up a syrup of sugar, water, and some sort of red liqueur like
> cassis - or even port wine. I would add some gelatine that had been dissolved in water (say about
> 1 tablespoon?) I would place the fresh strawberries in a bowl and pour over the syrup/gelatine
> mixture and leave to set.
>
> I cannot remember if the above is correct or not. Can anyone help me?

This doesn't use gelatin, but I don't think you need it.

Strawberry Compote

Recipe By : Emeril Lagasse Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories :
Accompaniment Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 pints Fresh strawberries -- washed, patted dry, and sliced 1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Grand Marnier

In a non-reactive saucepan, over medium heat, combine 2 pints of the strawberries, sugar and
liquor. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the fruit is
soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. In a food processor, fitted with a
metal blade, puree the strawberries until smooth. Turn into a mixing bowl, and add the remaining
sliced strawberries. Mix well. This recipe yields about 2 cups.

Recipe Source: EMERIL LIVE with Emeril Lagasse From the TV FOOD NETWORK - (Show # EM-1C24)

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 08:24:27 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:

>Daisy wrote:
>
>> I have mislaid a recipe I once had for making strawberry compote. I have an amount of fresh
>> strawberries and would like to make a compote for dinner tomorrow when the family arrive.
>>
>> I have a feeling I used to boil up a syrup of sugar, water, and some sort of red liqueur like
>> cassis - or even port wine. I would add some gelatine that had been dissolved in water (say about
>> 1 tablespoon?) I would place the fresh strawberries in a bowl and pour over the syrup/gelatine
>> mixture and leave to set.
>>
>> I cannot remember if the above is correct or not. Can anyone help me?
>>

>This doesn't use gelatin, but I don't think you need it.
>
> Strawberry Compote
>
>Recipe By : Emeril Lagasse Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories :
>Accompaniment Desserts
>
> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 3 pints Fresh strawberries -- washed, patted dry, and sliced 1 cup Sugar
> 1/2 cup Grand Marnier
>
> In a non-reactive saucepan, over medium heat, combine 2 pints of the strawberries, sugar and
> liquor. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the fruit is
> soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. In a food processor, fitted with a
> metal blade, puree the strawberries until smooth. Turn into a mixing bowl, and add the
> remaining sliced strawberries. Mix well. This recipe yields about 2 cups.
>
> Recipe Source: EMERIL LIVE with Emeril Lagasse From the TV FOOD NETWORK - (Show # EM-1C24)

Sorry - but this is nothing like any compote I have ever seen, or experienced. The above is pureed
strawberry - of which there are literally hundreds of recipes around.

I want the recipe that does NOT heat the fruit in a pan, but leaves the fruit whole in a bowl with a
heated mixture over the top. I simply cannot remember whether the mixture contained gelatine and
arrowroot or either of them. - and I need the amount of sugar and water plus either the amount of
gelatine and/or arrowroot.

Thanks for the reply though. Cheers

Daisy.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:16:49 +1300, Daisy <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Oh, I am in summer where I am. That's why I have extra strawberries. But I think a compote should
>embrace other fresh fruits also.

This one is from Cooks.com

STRAWBERRY & RHUBARB COMPOTE

1 qt. strawberries 2 1/2 c. rhubarb 1 5/8 c. water 4 1/2 c. sugar 1 tsp. cornstarch 1 tbsp. cold
water Wash fruit, cook the rhubarb in water with the sugar, low heat. When soft take out rhubarb,
boil strawberries 2 minutes in same water; take out, arrange with rhubarb in layers in bowl. Stir
the cornstarch with cold water until smooth. Stir into hot juice and boil 2 minutes, stirring
constantly. Pour over fruit. Serve hot or cold with cream. Serves 6 to 8.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?