Helmet with a visor?

Jose B. Ruivo

Guest
Hi All,

Is there any bicycle helmet with a visor (not a peak, to protect from the sun) to protect your face
(from the cold, and rain)?

Thank you,

Jose B. Ruivo

Jose B. Ruivo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is there any bicycle helmet with a visor (not a peak, to protect from the sun) to protect your
> face (from the cold, and rain)?

Respro make a visor you can add to any helmet.

OTOH cold and rain makes you feel alive ;-)

Tony

"Jose B. Ruivo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> Is there any bicycle helmet with a visor (not a peak, to protect from the sun) to protect your
> face (from the cold, and rain)?

The only ones I'm aware of are those aimed at downhillers, see the link for an example:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Helmets+Full+Face&ModelID=1603

They lack the amount of ventilation of a normal helmet but that possibly isn't a problem at this
time of year. I can see there being a problem with visibility if it's raining and regarding
protection from the cold my own choice is either a thin balaclava or Buff <1> under the helmet
depending on how cold it is.

<1> A piece of tubular fabric that can be configured in different ways to give protection to ones
noggin. http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=20310
--
Regards, Pete

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:26:50 -0000, "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Respro make a visor you can add to any helmet.
>
>OTOH cold and rain makes you feel alive ;-)

It may make you feel alive, but since I have sinusitis and alergies, it makes feel a "terrific"
headache . . .

Thank you for the tip!

Regards,

Jose B. Ruivo

>Tony

Hi Peter,

>http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Helmets+Full+Face&ModelID=1603

That looks like a peak to me, not a visor, right in front of you face, nose, etc . . .

><1> A piece of tubular fabric that can be configured in different ways to give protection to ones
> noggin. http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=20310

That could also be a "partial" solution, to cover throat and forehead (with 2 diferent pieces).

But I'd still prefer a proper visor, like the one in motorcycle helmets - yes, I do ride a
motorcycle too, but would prefer not having to use my motorcycle helmet to cycle . . .

Thanks for the tips!

Regards,

Jose B. Ruivo

I don't think any of the bike helmets come with a "motorcycle style" visor. The type of riding you do will dictate the type of helmet you go for. (well DUH! ;-)) I have known of some people who use skiing goggles as a makeshift visor, and then something else (eg a bandana or whatever) to protect the lower face. Never tried it myself, but could work ok. Personally, I use a Giro Animas helmet (my xc riding doesn't require full face) and a pair of Oakley Halfjacket sunglasses, which I wear on all but the darkest of days, in which case i dispense with the shades. Hope this helps.

Only in the last week, I've seen two lots of cyclists where there's been wearers of motorcycle style
helmets with a section round the chin
!
--
Comm again, Mike.