or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Long Distance running and kidney problems???

post #1 of 6
Hey all,

Quick question.

One of my friends who is in med. school recently was studying something about the kidney.

There is a disease, which I do not remember the name of, that he said was caused by doing extremely
high mileage. Extremely was defined as like 80+ miles per week.

Apparantly, there is some buildup of something in the kidney, which leads to feeling tired, and
eventually your kidney *could* fail. This is what he told me, I have not verified. I didn't believe
him, but figured I'd ask.

I have been running since high school, and am well into that "extremely" high mileage group, often
peaking my mileage at 120 miles per week (not EVERY week, I do cycles).

Any confirmations, or "nah, he's just an idiot" statements??
post #2 of 6

Re: Long Distance running and kidney problems???

Chris Yura wrote:

> Any confirmations, or "nah, he's just an idiot" statements??

Nah, he's just an idiot.

I've never heard of any kidney problem that's mileage related other than haemoglobinuria which isn't
really a kidney problem.. Doesn't mean there isn't one but it's not something I'd worry about.

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.
post #3 of 6

Chris Yura wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Quick question.
>
> One of my friends who is in med. school recently was studying something about the kidney.
>
> There is a disease, which I do not remember the name of, that he said was caused by doing
> extremely high mileage. Extremely was defined as like 80+ miles per week.

I don't know of any cause and effect issue. A person may have a problem that is exacerbated with
heavy mileage but this is not the cause.

If he is talking about something like hyper/hyponatremia which can effect the renal system, it is
not a product of running miles per se but a case of too few or too many electrolytes,
specifically salt.

Hopefully something was lost in the translation or else he needs more time studying the
renal system.

--
Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" dfreeseS@NOBShvc.rr.com
post #4 of 6

Re: Long Distance running and kidney problems???

Yes, google "kidney dehydration ibruprofen" for warnings about kidney damage. Its a combination of
overworking the kidney and distorting the sense of thirst. Mood drugs like prozac have also been
indicted. So have high protein diets.
post #5 of 6

lil' frenchie <WillieRoss@paree.com> wrote:

>Gee, if we run in 100 degree heat with no water, for four hours, we'll get sick?

Not if you train to get used to it. I seem to remember someone writing here, very recently, that
they could do that with no problem. Now who was that...? ;-
post #6 of 6

marty wrote:

> If your being fecetious (look it up) then it's not appreciated.

I did look it up and there is no such word, If you mean facetious and want to use it to bust chops
then at least spell it right.

> I can run up to 10 miles without H2O, and do it daily. However I wouldn't try that in 100' degree
> heat, even if you're immortal like
> me. There can be only one.

You are eunuch, I mean unique.

--