Hands off my Banana.

Simon Mason

Guest
Some people might remember my Raleigh Banana story from last year:

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page470.htm

The other day someone had the brass face to try and claim it back and I quote:

"Trawling through your massive site, and I came across the story of the Raleigh Banana that you
restored, and found it quite interesting as it was the exact same model bike I had for 8 years
before I ran into the side of someone's car and bending the forks back. After a few months of it
being stuck in the shed, I had to come to terms with the fact that the forks were irrepairable and
the frame was creased from the force of the impact.

Shedding a tear, the bike went into a skip. :eek:(

After reading your page, it made me think about whether it ended up on a landfill somewhere, or if
someone fished it out, and made it rideable.

I know the chances are as remote as you can get, but I have to know if it was the same bike. My bike
had splatters of a pinky-orange paint under the frame after riding through a spillage. Shortly
afterwards, my bke was stolen, but I saw someone on it, and told the police who went to get it back.
Even though they'd tried to spray over the paint splashes, there was enough to identify it as mine,
and I got my bike back. <yay>

Could you confirm if there were any traces of paint splattered under the frame? and if so, (and I
don't mean to appear freaky in any way) would you be interested in selling it?

Regards"

It had no paint on the base of the frame and since some mug paid 80 quid for one on e-bay, I
wouldn't want to rip the guy off by selling it to him, so I've still got it..

Simon Mason Kingston upon Hull

On 24 Feb 2004 18:19:20 -0800, in
<[email protected]>, [email protected]
(Simon Mason) wrote:

Glad you popped in. I trust you are well?

Rich

--
DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which appears in my inbox is mine to do what I
like with. Anything which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so desire, form a legal

Simon Mason wrote:

> It had no paint on the base of the frame and since some mug paid 80 quid for one on e-bay, I
> wouldn't want to rip the guy off by selling it to him, so I've still got it..

As he admits he put it in a skip he has no claim over it. I don't read it as bare faced cheek,
just possibly discovering an old friend and asking if you would consider selling it. You can
always say no.

Tony

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Simon Mason wrote:
> >
> > It had no paint on the base of the frame and since some mug paid 80 quid for one on e-bay, I
> > wouldn't want to rip the guy off by selling it to him, so I've still got it..
> >
> As he admits he put it in a skip he has no claim over it. I don't read it as bare faced cheek,
> just possibly discovering an old friend and asking if you would consider selling it. You can
> always say no.

Yes, after mailing him some photos of the underside, he saw it wasn't his old bike and we had a
nice chat about local pubs and whatnot. He was a very nice chap and I said that if it *had* turned
out to be his bike, I would have given it to him for nothing. Simon Mason