Dog Dazers

Les Woodland

Guest
Hi

I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, so my apologies in advance...

I'm looking for advice on Dog Dazers, or any other make that does the same thing. Simply: do
they work?

Thanks a lot.

happy days

les

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:21:08 +0100, "Les Woodland"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, so my apologies in advance...
>
>I'm looking for advice on Dog Dazers,

Whatever's that? "Unidentified dog approaching on the starboard bow, Mr Worf. Load dog dazers and
prepare to fire on my word..."

--

Debbie Urban Theology Unit, Sheffield Views expressed in this email are my own and are not
necessarily those of the University of Sheffield or UTU.

In article <[email protected]>, Debbie
<[email protected]> writes
>On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:21:08 +0100, "Les Woodland" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, so my apologies in advance...
>>
>>I'm looking for advice on Dog Dazers,
>
>Whatever's that? "Unidentified dog approaching on the starboard bow, Mr Worf. Load dog dazers and
>prepare to fire on my word..."

I always always slow down for dogs, as they dont deserve to be run over due to being stupid or
having stupid owners. In lieu of a dog dazer the following has worked (shared path) in the
'Farst' of Dean:

1. dog carrying stick, owner encourages dog to put stick in my wheel... Skid to halt and enquire:
'Does your dog want this bike stuck up his a**e?'
2. dog comes out of forest at full pelt going for legs.. Skid to halt, yell 'F**k off' at
top volume.
3. owner walking with uncontrolled dog (after I've slowed right down)... Aim at dog, speed up until
dog is running in other direction, tut at owner.
4. 2 massive labradors going at legs (one each side, thats organised) on a road... Skid to halt,
unclip feet and shout at top voice 'Do you want these f*****g SPDs in your gob?'

Actually it seems to boil down to skid to halt and swear loudly which apart from interrupting a good
rhythm is cheap and effective.

The general problem with ultra-sound dog-stoppers is that they seem very directional and most dogs
seem to come from just behind out of boot range.

--
John Openshaw

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:26:00 +0000, John Openshaw
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Debbie
><[email protected]> writes
>>On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:21:08 +0100, "Les Woodland" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, so my apologies in advance...
>>>
>>>I'm looking for advice on Dog Dazers,
>>
>>Whatever's that? "Unidentified dog approaching on the starboard bow, Mr Worf. Load dog dazers and
>>prepare to fire on my word..."
>
>I always always slow down for dogs, as they dont deserve to be run over due to being stupid or
>having stupid owners. In lieu of a dog dazer the following has worked (shared path) in the
>'Farst' of Dean:
<snip>
>The general problem with ultra-sound dog-stoppers is that they seem very directional and most dogs
>seem to come from just behind out of boot range.

Oh, right, they really *are* things for deterring dogs, then? I thought it must be cyclists' jargon
for some kind of widgetty thing like what we have boxes full of in the garage.

Debbie

--

John Openshaw <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, Debbie
> <[email protected]> writes
> >On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:21:08 +0100, "Les Woodland" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi
> >>
> >>I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, so my apologies in advance...
> >>
> >>I'm looking for advice on Dog Dazers,
> >
> >Whatever's that? "Unidentified dog approaching on the starboard bow, Mr Worf. Load dog dazers and
> >prepare to fire on my word..."
>
> I always always slow down for dogs, as they dont deserve to be run over due to being stupid or
> having stupid owners.
snippity

I always slow down as I don't want my spokes/rims bent. Why is it dogs are allowed to act the
Kamikaze on cycle paths but not roads? and after Sustrans paid all that money to re-surface the
paths as well, prior to that the owners used to walk down the road and let them **** all over the
pavements. Some really slothful canophiles still just drive into the carpark and open the car doors
and leave their toxocara factories to run wild.

In article <[email protected]>, MartinM <[email protected]> writes
>John Openshaw <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> In article <[email protected]>, Debbie
>> <[email protected]> writes

>> >Whatever's that? "Unidentified dog approaching on the starboard bow, Mr Worf. Load dog dazers
>> >and prepare to fire on my word..."
>>
>> I always always slow down for dogs, as they dont deserve to be run over due to being stupid or
>> having stupid owners.
> snippity
>
>I always slow down as I don't want my spokes/rims bent. Why is it dogs are allowed to act the
>Kamikaze on cycle paths but not roads? and after Sustrans paid all that money to re-surface the
>paths as well,

On the shared paths in the Forest here, I slow down, say excuse me, or smile, and the looks I get
from people like Im riding through their living room and who plainly dont realise its a shared path.
Same stupid/ignorant attitude that allows their furry fiend to try and bite your pedals off while
their thinking 'Oh Muffy is being friendly this morning...'

The question should always be 'If that attitude was directed at me, what would I think?'. But
they don't.

(On a side note about toxocara, we have free roaming sheep here that basically poo everywhere - the
owners attitude is 'its our right, we've been doing it for 500 years etc etc').

--
John Openshaw

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I always slow down as I don't want my spokes/rims bent. Why is it dogs are allowed to act the
> Kamikaze on cycle paths but not roads?

Officially, they're not meant to be off the lead "on any road, path or track shared with cyclists"
(HC rule 42 iirc). I don't mind loose dogs too much, the majority of owners tend to try and exert
some control, even if it is just a lip-service "Sit!" - I just get a tad ticked off when their
owner just says "mind you watch out for my dogs", indicating a bunch of manaical mongrels milling
over the path a few hundred meters away - I have a distinct urge to say "that's your bloody job,
you brought 'em here"

"John Openshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> (On a side note about toxocara, we have free roaming sheep here that basically poo everywhere -
> the owners attitude is 'its our right, we've been doing it for 500 years etc etc').

Isn't dog **** worse than sheep **** though? Worse we get from sheep is some cauliforms in
our water.

cheers, clive

John Openshaw <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> 4. 2 massive labradors going at legs (one each side, thats organised) on a road...

Sinister, isn't it? It's fascinating to see this co-operative hunting behaviour of a pack animal
coming out in a species that has been heavily domesticated, especially in a breed noted for it's
good nature.

> Skid to halt, unclip feet and shout at top voice 'Do you want these f*****g SPDs in your gob?'

Fortunately labradors are highly intelligent and are aware that SPDs are likely to be worse for
their teeth than Looks, for example.

> Actually it seems to boil down to skid to halt and swear loudly which apart from interrupting a
> good rhythm is cheap and effective.

I think it's mainly coming to a stop and adopting an assertive posture that checks them. You cease
to be a strange and threatening creature and become a human being again. Of course, if they've
really decided they don't like you it might be better to keep going as in the Sprint Training with
Eddy scene from American Flyers.

> The general problem with ultra-sound dog-stoppers is that they seem very directional and most dogs
> seem to come from just behind out of boot range.

Frame pumps have also been used to good effect. Dogs just don't respect the mini-pumps most people
carry now.

--
Dave...

In article <[email protected]>, Clive George

>"John Openshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> (On a side note about toxocara, we have free roaming sheep here that basically poo everywhere -
>> the owners attitude is 'its our right, we've been doing it for 500 years etc etc').
>
>Isn't dog **** worse than sheep **** though? Worse we get from sheep is some cauliforms in
>our water.

Using a slipperiness index, they're comparable.

--
John Openshaw

news:[email protected]...
> "John Openshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > (On a side note about toxocara, we have free roaming sheep here that basically poo everywhere -
> > the owners attitude is 'its our right, we've been doing it for 500 years etc etc').
>
> Isn't dog **** worse than sheep **** though? Worse we get from sheep is
some
> cauliforms in our water.

If you think about the life cycles of the toxocara, its not really sheep poo you worry about.

Cat+ dog **** eating rawish pig (or rat!)

John Openshaw <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Using a slipperiness index, they're comparable.

Dog **** tends to be larger and therefore dry slower so it tends to remain gunky for longer. Also,
it stinks a hell of a lot worse, probably due to the difference in diets. I know I'd rather step in
sheep **** than dog ****. A primarily grass diet should result in fairly inoffensive smelling ****.
I speak with the authority of someone who has knowingly, if somewhat unwillingly, participated in a
"Springbok Plop Spitting Competition". I lost, apparently because I was unwilling to use the
recommended technique of putting it on the back of the tongue and then spitting really hard. :p

Graeme

In article <[email protected]>, Graeme
<[email protected]> writes
>John Openshaw <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> Using a slipperiness index, they're comparable.
>>

>Dog **** tends to be larger and therefore dry slower so it tends to remain gunky for longer. Also,
>it stinks a hell of a lot worse, probably due to the difference in diets. I know I'd rather step in
>sheep **** than dog ****. A primarily grass diet should result in fairly inoffensive smelling ****.
>I speak with the authority of someone who has knowingly, if somewhat unwillingly, participated in a
>"Springbok Plop Spitting Competition". I lost, apparently because I was unwilling to use the
>recommended technique of putting it on the back of the tongue and then spitting really hard. :p

Blimey - I consider that superior knowledge based on research!

--
John Openshaw

John Openshaw <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Blimey - I consider that superior knowledge based on research!

I normally prefer first hand knowledge, but in this case I don't think I'll be doing any further
research. However, if anyone wishes to investigate further I'm sure I can find a supply of
springbok poo :)

Graeme

"John Openshaw" <[email protected]> wrote

> (On a side note about toxocara, we have free roaming sheep here that basically poo everywhere -
> the owners attitude is 'its our right, we've been doing it for 500 years etc etc').

We had neighbours in the FOD who sent their kids out to collect it for use in the garden.

"John Openshaw" <[email protected]> wrote

> I always always slow down for dogs, as they dont deserve to be run over due to being stupid or
> having stupid owners. In lieu of a dog dazer the following has worked (shared path) in the 'Farst'
> of Dean:

<snip>

Does it work with the panthers and wild boar as well?

In article <[email protected]>, AndyP
<[email protected]> wrote:
> the owners attitude is 'its our right, we've been doing it for 500 years etc etc'

It's not the owners right - it is the animals right. Which is why if a farmer carries muck onto the
road on a tractor wheel he is supposed to clean it up - if a cow does it it can be left - cows were
invented before roads.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.millport.net

In article <[email protected]>, AndyP <[email protected]> writes
>"John Openshaw" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> I always always slow down for dogs, as they dont deserve to be run over due to being stupid or
>> having stupid owners. In lieu of a dog dazer the following has worked (shared path) in the
>> 'Farst' of Dean:
>
><snip>
>
>Does it work with the panthers and wild boar as well?

Christ no, they're real buggers when they team up.

--
John Openshaw

One of the "joys" of riding across America are dogs (in ones or more) which roam almost at will
especially east of the Mississippi. This happened up to
6/7 times a day.

I used a Dog Dazer regularly. In principle it worked; all dogs reacted to the sound. For some, a
single blast was sufficient; others were more persistent. After a minute or two, all gave up
(perhaps the persistent buzzing; maybe they were nackered by the chase). Pointing directly at a
pooch seemed the most effective, but had obviously steering risks. With pack of dogs, I preferred
speed! I was never bitten that year(except by a sheepdog on Ardnamurchan during a separate trip!).
Others I met carried Mace, legally available in the US.

PS IMHO yours was one of 2003's better Tour books.

[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message Snip snap snory

> > The general problem with ultra-sound dog-stoppers is that they seem very directional and most
> > dogs seem to come from just behind out of boot range.

Perhaps fit them as standard on all bike computers and make them 360o directional , that way the
dogs will develop an aversion to be taken anywhere there are bikes about to the bewilderment of
their owners!

> Frame pumps have also been used to good effect. Dogs just don't respect the mini-pumps most people
> carry now.

Probably cobblers but I was once told that dogs do not respect humans because our front limbs do not
touch the ground and sticks/pumps etc overcome this and command obedience?