Question on cooking a Beef Roast

Bill Davis

Guest
Maybe an ignorant question, but here goes anyway :eek:) ...

I've very limited experience roasting cuts of beef in the oven, always seemed to over-cook it in the
past. Recently bought a digital remote thermometer to try to fix that tendency ...

... so, last night cooked a 4.5 pound roast, inserting the thermometer probe laterally through the
center of the roast, and placing it uncovered in the bottom section of a broiler pan. Shooting for
medium-well done, cooked the meat at 325 until the temp. indicated 165 degrees, pulled it out and
let it rest for 30 minutes, then sliced vertically through the roast.

The bottom half, barely including the path of the thermometer probe, appeared medium-well, while the
upper half was medium rare to rare. Since I enjoy it any way, 'twas all good ...., but how to cook
it so its consistent througout? ... some kind of covering or roasting pan, maybe?

Appreciate your advice or comments.... Bill

Bill Davis wrote:

> ... so, last night cooked a 4.5 pound roast, inserting the thermometer probe laterally through the
> center of the roast, and placing it uncovered in the bottom section of a broiler pan. Shooting for
> medium-well done, cooked the meat at 325 until the temp. indicated 165 degrees, pulled it out and
> let it rest for 30 minutes, then sliced vertically through the roast.

I 165 F is way too high. I cook to anywhere from 130 - 145 F, depending. What cut is it?

On 2/26/2004 12:49 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these
great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

Beside the roast being cooked to too high a temperature (Take it out of the oven at 158 - 160 for
med-well. The internal temperature will rise another 5 - 7 degrees while resting.) You should try
cooking a roast "Low and Slow". I usually cook my roasts at 200 - 225 degrees (fat side up) until
the thermometer reads 152 - 155 [Old fashioned type - stick in and leave it in :)] and then take it
out and let it rest. (I like mine medium) The outer 1/4 is normally med-well going to medium with
the center 1/4 med-rare.

I coat the roast with a thick mix of kosher salt mixed with ground black pepper. I do not cover the
roast, but do use a rack in the bottom of the pan and put about 1/8" - 3/16" of water in the pan.
This provides moisture so the roast is moist and the drippings/water are USUALLY the right
consistency for a gravy.

> Maybe an ignorant question, but here goes anyway :eek:) ...
>
> I've very limited experience roasting cuts of beef in the oven, always seemed to over-cook it in
> the past. Recently bought a digital remote thermometer to try to fix that tendency ...
>
> ... so, last night cooked a 4.5 pound roast, inserting the thermometer probe laterally through the
> center of the roast, and placing it uncovered in the bottom section of a broiler pan. Shooting for
> medium-well done, cooked the meat at 325 until the temp. indicated 165 degrees, pulled it out and
> let it rest for 30 minutes, then sliced vertically through the roast.
>
> The bottom half, barely including the path of the thermometer probe, appeared medium-well, while
> the upper half was medium rare to rare. Since I enjoy it any way, 'twas all good ...., but how to
> cook it so its consistent througout? ... some kind of covering or roasting pan, maybe?
>
> Appreciate your advice or comments.... Bill

Remember that the internal temperature will continue to increase when
removed from the oven.
"Bill Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Maybe an ignorant question, but here goes anyway :eek:) ...
>
> I've very limited experience roasting cuts of beef in the oven, always seemed to over-cook it in
> the past. Recently bought a digital remote thermometer to try to fix that tendency ...
>
> ... so, last night cooked a 4.5 pound roast, inserting the thermometer probe laterally through the
> center of the roast, and placing it uncovered in the bottom section of a broiler pan. Shooting for
> medium-well done, cooked the meat at 325 until the temp. indicated 165 degrees, pulled it out and
> let it rest for 30 minutes, then sliced vertically through the roast.
>
> The bottom half, barely including the path of the thermometer probe, appeared medium-well, while
> the upper half was medium rare to rare. Since I enjoy it any way, 'twas all good ...., but how to
> cook it so its consistent througout? ... some kind of covering or roasting pan, maybe?
>
> Appreciate your advice or comments.... Bill

Did you have the roast sitting directly on the pan? I think that would cause is to cook from the
bottom up, as if you were frying it. Put it on a rack inside the pan so it's not touching the
pan surface.

Reg <[email protected]> wrote:

>I 165 F is way too high. I cook to anywhere from 130 - 145 F, depending. What cut is it?

Well, I tossed the wrapper. Round, if I recall correctly

The chart that came with the thermometer gives:

145 - medium rare 160 - medium 170 - well done

... that's why I figured about 165 for medium-well, and where the probe was (in the center) appeared
about right. From just above the probe to the top of the roast became progressively more & more
rare. Fluid on the top, when I took it out, was still tinged red.

"Ted Campanelli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Ses%[email protected]...
> On 2/26/2004 12:49 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so
> great) words of knowledge:
>
> Beside the roast being cooked to too high a temperature (Take it out of the oven at 158 - 160 for
> med-well. The internal temperature will rise another 5 - 7 degrees while resting.) You should try
> cooking a roast "Low and Slow". I usually cook my roasts at 200 - 225 degrees (fat side up) until
> the thermometer reads 152 - 155 [Old fashioned type - stick in and leave it in :)] and then take
> it out and let it rest. (I like mine medium) The outer 1/4 is normally med-well going to medium
> with the center 1/4 med-rare.
>
> I coat the roast with a thick mix of kosher salt mixed with ground black pepper. I do not cover
> the roast, but do use a rack in the bottom of the pan and put about 1/8" - 3/16" of water in the
> pan. This provides moisture so the roast is moist and the drippings/water are USUALLY the right
> consistency for a gravy.

Thanks Ted. My future MIL just (this afternoon) gave us two small round roasts (about 1.5 lbs. a
piece - we don't have an oven, just a large toaster oven) and I really don't know what to do with
them. Would your method work on these as well?

kilikini

Bill Davis wrote:

> Well, I tossed the wrapper. Round, if I recall correctly

It's normal for a roast to have different levels of doneness, but usually not from top to bottom as
you describe. Typically they're cooked more towards the ends where the cross sectional area is
smaller. Sounds like uneven heating. Cook it in the center rack, and turn it halfway through if you
have to. That may cook it more evenly.

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:18:10 -0800, Bill Davis
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The chart that came with the thermometer gives:
>
>145 - medium rare 160 - medium 170 - well done

Those are the unreasonable USDA guidelines. Ignore them. Beef should never be cooked anything over
150 (I prefer mine at 130-132).

-sw

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:21:23 GMT, "kilikini"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks Ted. My future MIL just (this afternoon) gave us two small round roasts (about 1.5 lbs. a
>piece - we don't have an oven, just a large toaster oven) and I really don't know what to do with
>them. Would your method work on these as well?

The "low and slow" method won't work as well in a toaster oven since the heat cycles between really
hot and hot, and the insulation isn't as good to maintain a somewhat even temperature. The outside
will tend to cook faster rather than letting the roast heat up evenly.

-sw

Reg <[email protected]> wrote:

>It's normal for a roast to have different levels of doneness, but usually not from top to bottom as
>you describe. Typically they're cooked more towards the ends where the cross sectional area is
>smaller. Sounds like uneven heating. Cook it in the center rack, and turn it halfway through if you
>have to. That may cook it more evenly.

The rack it was on was actually just below center, which placed the meat almost exactly at center.
Turning it halfway sound like an option.

Was also wondering if the fact that I cooked cookies at 375 for an hour before starting the roast
might have contributed to uneven heat?

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:21:23 GMT, "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Thanks Ted. My future MIL just (this afternoon) gave us two small round roasts (about 1.5 lbs. a
> >piece - we don't have an oven, just a large
toaster
> >oven) and I really don't know what to do with them. Would your method
work
> >on these as well?
>
> The "low and slow" method won't work as well in a toaster oven since the heat cycles between
> really hot and hot, and the insulation isn't as good to maintain a somewhat even temperature. The
> outside will tend to cook faster rather than letting the roast heat up evenly.
>
> -sw

Thanks Steve. I guess I''ll just go with the standard........ kilikini

Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:18:10 -0800, Bill Davis <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>The chart that came with the thermometer gives:
>>
>>145 - medium rare 160 - medium 170 - well done
>
>Those are the unreasonable USDA guidelines. Ignore them. Beef should never be cooked anything over
>150 (I prefer mine at 130-132).

... and yet parts of this roast tuned out rarer than I would prefer ...

Bill Davis wrote:

> The rack it was on was actually just below center, which placed the meat almost exactly at center.
> Turning it halfway sound like an option.

You could also do the Alton Brown thing and stick a huge flower pot over it. He really does this to
even out the heat! Not something I'd ever do, but you might enjoy reading about it. I do agree with
his low temp roasting approach though. I cook at about 250 F.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_17372,00.html

> Was also wondering if the fact that I cooked cookies at 375 for an hour before starting the roast
> might have contributed to uneven heat?

If anything that will help, not hurt. You want the oven preheated well.

Bill Davis wrote:

> Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:18:10 -0800, Bill Davis <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>The chart that came with the thermometer gives:
>>>
>>>145 - medium rare 160 - medium 170 - well done
>>
>>Those are the unreasonable USDA guidelines. Ignore them. Beef should never be cooked anything over
>>150 (I prefer mine at 130-132).
>>
> ... and yet parts of this roast tuned out rarer than I would prefer

"Rare" is a technical term.

Blood-rare meat has a slightly browned outside and a cold red center (under 115F). Rare has a cool
red center (120-125). Medium-rare means it has a warm red center (130-135). Medium means a warm pink
center (140-145). Medium-well means a hot pink center with more than 80 % of the center-cut surface
brown (150-155). Well-done means brown throughout (165 and up).

Based on your earlier post, I'd look at the thermometer for accuracy. It sounds off.

Pastorio

Lorne Epp <[email protected]> wrote:

>Did you have the roast sitting directly on the pan? I think that would cause is to cook from the
>bottom up, as if you were frying it. Put it on a rack inside the pan so it's not touching the
>pan surface.

Yes, it was directly on the pan. That is an interesting idea....

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Based on your earlier post, I'd look at the thermometer for accuracy. It sounds off.

Hmmm....., hasn't seemed so...., I'll run some tests.

The way you described it, it was more well done on the bottom, right? Made me wonder if you had the
rack too low in the oven. Also, perhaps the broiler pan holds heat more than a roasting pan would.

nancy

Bill Davis wrote:

> Lorne Epp <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Did you have the roast sitting directly on the pan? I think that would cause is to cook from the
> >bottom up, as if you were frying it. Put it on a rack inside the pan so it's not touching the pan
> >surface.
>
> Yes, it was directly on the pan. That is an interesting idea....

Quoting my buddy Alton Brown and others - why have a rack that is *so* hard to clean? Use carrots
and celery instead, keep for broth later, etc. or puree for sauce (I like to use for broth or soup
later). Edrena

Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote:

>The way you described it, it was more well done on the bottom, right?

Right.

>Made me wonder if you had the rack too low in the oven.

Just below center, which should actually have the roast just about center.

> Also, perhaps the broiler pan holds heat more than a roasting pan would.

Maybe, though they seem to be much the same material, enamelled metal, I think.