tired and zoned after meals

Lacustral

Guest
i posted here earlier ... i have been changing my diet radically, for the better ... I was eating a
lot of fructose, tapering off from 350 calories/day. Then when i quit the fructose in mid-January i
wasn't able to tolerate carbohydrates hardly at all, so I was getting most of my calories basically
from nuts. If i ate a few berries i would practically get an anxiety attack.

Feb 12'th I started taking chromium and alpha lipoic acid to improve my insulin sensitivity --
eating sugar depletes you of chromium and copper so I'm sure i was deficient in them. It helped a
lot, for about a week i've been able to eat about a 40% fat diet.

But the thing is, what the chromium did was to change my anxiety, jittery, hyped up feelings from
carbohydrates, for a totally knocked out feeling, after eating carbohydrates i basically have to go
lie down, i feel really woozy, knocked out. Just fat doesn't do this to me.

It is slowly getting better. For a few days on the 40% fat diet I was just sick in bed feeling bad
all day, now I feel pretty good most mornings and the knocked out feeling starts after a meal.

I did reluctantly get a blood glucose meter on somebody's suggestion ... My fasting blood glucose is
great, it was 78. I took my blood glucose when I was feeling kind of out of it about an hour after a
meal and it was
127. When I got my blood glucose tested by a doctor, sort of halfway between meals, when i was
feeling more or less OK, it was 105.

Those aren't high numbers ... but me feeling woozy certainly seems to be about my blood
glucose level.

Is it individual, the level of blood glucose that makes you feel sleepy and woozy????

Like 127 might be a high level *for me*, after living for months on a high fructose, high fat diet
that I'm sure did NOT raise my blood glucose much after meals.

i might be glucose intolerant, the meal that gave me the blood glucose of 127 wasn't exactly much of
a carbohydrate challenge and I don't know what a 75-gram glucose challenge would do to me.

I'm certainly not diabetic though, and that is reassuring.

The fructose is diabetogenic in large quantities altho small amounts might be OK ... I don't know
how much "small" is, I have seen a LOT about the bad effects of fructose but I don't know how much
you have to eat to get the bad effects. The nice thing about fructose is that it doesn't raise blood
sugar much. A high fat diet is also diabetogenic.

http://www.lightlink.com/lark/why.html

"Lacustral" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i posted here earlier ... i have been changing my diet radically, for the better ... I was eating
> a lot of fructose, tapering off from 350 calories/day. Then when i quit the fructose in mid-
> January i wasn't able to tolerate carbohydrates hardly at all, so I was getting most of my
> calories basically from nuts. If i ate a few berries i would practically get an anxiety attack.
>
> Feb 12'th I started taking chromium and alpha lipoic acid to improve my insulin sensitivity --
> eating sugar depletes you of chromium and copper so I'm sure i was deficient in them. It helped a
> lot, for about a week i've been able to eat about a 40% fat diet.

I don't know where you got this information from, but it sounds pretty bogus to me.

> But the thing is, what the chromium did was to change my anxiety, jittery, hyped up feelings from
> carbohydrates, for a totally knocked out feeling, after eating carbohydrates i basically have to
> go lie down, i feel really woozy, knocked out. Just fat doesn't do this to me.

I dunno.

> It is slowly getting better. For a few days on the 40% fat diet I was just sick in bed feeling bad
> all day, now I feel pretty good most mornings and the knocked out feeling starts after a meal.

Again, I dunno.

> I did reluctantly get a blood glucose meter on somebody's suggestion ... My fasting blood glucose
> is great, it was 78. I took my blood glucose when I was feeling kind of out of it about an hour
> after a meal and it was
> 127. When I got my blood glucose tested by a doctor, sort of halfway between meals, when i was
> feeling more or less OK, it was 105.

127 is higher than normal. 105 could indicate pre-diabetes. You need to go to the Dr. and get a GTT.

> Those aren't high numbers ... but me feeling woozy certainly seems to be about my blood
> glucose level.

No, not high, but higher than the normal fasting of 100. At least the 105
is.

> Is it individual, the level of blood glucose that makes you feel sleepy and woozy????

I don't normally feel sleepy and woozy. I can though if my BG is >180.

> Like 127 might be a high level *for me*, after living for months on a
high
> fructose, high fat diet that I'm sure did NOT raise my blood glucose much after meals.

If you do not have diabetes, your BG would probably not fluctuate much for you to notice. I can't
see why in the world you'd go on a high fructose diet though.

> i might be glucose intolerant, the meal that gave me the blood glucose of 127 wasn't exactly much
> of a carbohydrate challenge and I don't know what a 75-gram glucose challenge would do to me.
>
> I'm certainly not diabetic though, and that is reassuring.

Says who? Have you taken a GTT? It doesn't sound like you have. That's the only way to tell.

> The fructose is diabetogenic in large quantities altho small amounts might be OK ... I don't know
> how much "small" is, I have seen a LOT about the bad effects of fructose but I don't know how much
> you have to eat to get the bad effects. The nice thing about fructose is that it doesn't raise
> blood sugar much. A high fat diet is also diabetogenic.

I don't know what diabetogenic means. But diabetics shouldn't eat fructose in any quantity, nor is a
high fat diet advised. I also don't know where you get the idea that fructose doesn't raise BG much.
If you have diabetes, it raises BG just as much as sugar and is also bad for the heart.

<snip>

--
Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/