The Rate of Speciation

A A

Guest
P=S R^N

P= probability for a new species to be created in one generation S= size of population R= mutation
rate N= the number of mutations required

Mats Liljedahl 1994

<[email protected]> wrote in message
> P=S R^N
>
> P= probability for a new species to be created in one generation S= size of population R= mutation
> rate N= the number of mutations required

That's mathematically OK assuming a homogenous interbreeding population, and an all or nothing
speciation event. In fact what we see is that populations are divided into demes with limited
contact, and that there can be barriers to mating that are not absolute. The hawthorn / apple maggot
fly is an example. These flies mate on the same plant species as upon which they feed, so there is a
separation into hawthorn- and the recently-evolved apple-feeding populations. However post-mating
reproductive barriers have not yet evolved.