Alternative proofs? read this!

Gymmy Bob

Guest
x-no-archive: yes

1: BMJ. 2003 Dec 20;327(7429):1459-61. Related Articles, Links

Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic
review of randomised controlled trials.

Smith GC, Pell JP.

Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Cambridge University, Cambridge CB2 2QQ. <Email withheld>

OBJECTIVES: To determine whether parachutes are effective in preventing major trauma related to
gravitational challenge. DESIGN: Systematic review of randomised controlled trials. DATA SOURCES:
Medline, Web of Science, Embase, and the Cochrane Library databases; appropriate internet sites and
citation lists. STUDY SELECTION: Studies showing the effects of using a parachute during free fall.
MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE: Death or major trauma, defined as an injury severity score > 15. RESULTS: We
were unable to identify any randomised controlled trials of parachute intervention. CONCLUSIONS: As
with many interventions intended to prevent ill health, the effectiveness of parachutes has not been
subjected to rigorous evaluation by using randomised controlled trials. Advocates of evidence based
medicine have criticised the adoption of interventions evaluated by using only observational data.
We think that everyone might benefit if the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine
organised and participated in a double blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of the
parachute.

Publication Types: Review Review, Academic

PMID: 14684649 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

>Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational
>challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials.

BRILLIANT!! Hilarious too!! Thank you for pointing this very cerebral study out to us.

I noted this in the abstract.

Funding: None.

Competing interests: None declared.

Ethical approval: Not required.

I think I will pass on the double blind trial. Any takers? BL

"As the waves pass the rock, their shape is changed. There is a hologram of the rock within the wave
that comes forward and crashes on the beach, then there's a reflected wave back." Ralph Abraham

"I'd like to learn to windsurf." BL

COOL POST ,

True stuff , their biased trials mean zip anyway , facts speak louder .

"Gymmy Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> 1: BMJ. 2003 Dec 20;327(7429):1459-61. Related Articles, Links
>

> Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic
> review of randomised controlled trials.
>
> Smith GC, Pell JP.
>
> Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Cambridge University, Cambridge CB2 2QQ. <Email
> withheld>
>
> OBJECTIVES: To determine whether parachutes are effective in preventing major trauma related to
> gravitational challenge. DESIGN: Systematic review of randomised controlled trials. DATA SOURCES:
> Medline, Web of Science,
Embase,
> and the Cochrane Library databases; appropriate internet sites and
citation
> lists. STUDY SELECTION: Studies showing the effects of using a parachute during free fall. MAIN
> OUTCOME MEASURE: Death or major trauma, defined as an
injury
> severity score > 15. RESULTS: We were unable to identify any randomised controlled trials of
> parachute intervention. CONCLUSIONS: As with many interventions intended to prevent ill health,
> the effectiveness of parachutes has not been subjected to rigorous evaluation by using randomised
controlled
> trials. Advocates of evidence based medicine have criticised the adoption
of
> interventions evaluated by using only observational data. We think that everyone might benefit if
> the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine organised and participated in a double
> blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of the parachute.
>
> Publication Types: Review Review, Academic
>
> PMID: 14684649 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

---

Release Date: 18/02/2004

>Subject: Re: Alternative proofs? read this!
>From: "Bew" qw@nonamewhatsover
>Date: 2/29/2004 9:52 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>COOL POST ,

>True stuff , their biased trials mean zip anyway , facts speak louder .

OMG...perhaps you need a brain colonic!! hawki.....

Hahah excellente! Anth

"Gymmy Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> 1: BMJ. 2003 Dec 20;327(7429):1459-61. Related Articles, Links
>

> Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic
> review of randomised controlled trials.
>
> Smith GC, Pell JP.
>
> Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Cambridge University, Cambridge CB2 2QQ. <Email
> withheld>
>
> OBJECTIVES: To determine whether parachutes are effective in preventing major trauma related to
> gravitational challenge. DESIGN: Systematic review of randomised controlled trials. DATA SOURCES:
> Medline, Web of Science,
Embase,
> and the Cochrane Library databases; appropriate internet sites and
citation
> lists. STUDY SELECTION: Studies showing the effects of using a parachute during free fall. MAIN
> OUTCOME MEASURE: Death or major trauma, defined as an
injury
> severity score > 15. RESULTS: We were unable to identify any randomised controlled trials of
> parachute intervention. CONCLUSIONS: As with many interventions intended to prevent ill health,
> the effectiveness of parachutes has not been subjected to rigorous evaluation by using randomised
controlled
> trials. Advocates of evidence based medicine have criticised the adoption
of
> interventions evaluated by using only observational data. We think that everyone might benefit if
> the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine organised and participated in a double
> blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of the parachute.
>
> Publication Types: Review Review, Academic
>
> PMID: 14684649 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

"BL 1204" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic
> >review of randomised controlled trials.
>
> BRILLIANT!! Hilarious too!! Thank you for pointing this very cerebral
study
> out to us.
>
> I noted this in the abstract.
>
> Funding: None.
>
> Competing interests: None declared.
>
> Ethical approval: Not required.
>
> I think I will pass on the double blind trial. Any takers?

Jan and Gymmy should volunteer. I could gladly spend a few hours training them and then let the
guess which one has the placebo parachute.

We could all invite them to drop in.

> BL
>
> "As the waves pass the rock, their shape is changed. There is a hologram
of
> the rock within the wave that comes forward and crashes on the beach, then there's a reflected
> wave back." Ralph Abraham
>
> "I'd like to learn to windsurf." BL

"Hawki63" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Subject: Re: Alternative proofs? read this! From: "Bew" qw@nonamewhatsover Date: 2/29/2004 9:52
> >PM Pacific Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
> >
> >COOL POST ,
>
> >True stuff , their biased trials mean zip anyway , facts speak louder .
> >

> OMG...perhaps you need a brain colonic!! hawki.....

I told you that Alties were brain cleansed.

COOL POST ,

True stuff , their biased trials mean zip anyway , facts speak louder .

Maybe they would like to get into a debate on chemotherapy , or maybe HRT , or maybe how come so
many thousands of people die each year in the screwed up health system .

NAH , screw em I can't be bothered .

"Gymmy Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> 1: BMJ. 2003 Dec 20;327(7429):1459-61. Related Articles, Links
>

> Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic
> review of randomised controlled trials.
>
> Smith GC, Pell JP.
>
> Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Cambridge University, Cambridge CB2 2QQ. <Email
> withheld>
>
> OBJECTIVES: To determine whether parachutes are effective in preventing major trauma related to
> gravitational challenge. DESIGN: Systematic review of randomised controlled trials. DATA SOURCES:
> Medline, Web of Science,
Embase,
> and the Cochrane Library databases; appropriate internet sites and
citation
> lists. STUDY SELECTION: Studies showing the effects of using a parachute during free fall. MAIN
> OUTCOME MEASURE: Death or major trauma, defined as an
injury
> severity score > 15. RESULTS: We were unable to identify any randomised controlled trials of
> parachute intervention. CONCLUSIONS: As with many interventions intended to prevent ill health,
> the effectiveness of parachutes has not been subjected to rigorous evaluation by using randomised
controlled
> trials. Advocates of evidence based medicine have criticised the adoption
of
> interventions evaluated by using only observational data. We think that everyone might benefit if
> the most radical protagonists of evidence based medicine organised and participated in a double
> blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover trial of the parachute.
>
> Publication Types: Review Review, Academic
>
> PMID: 14684649 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

---

Release Date: 18/02/2004

"Bew" <qw@nonamewhatsover> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> COOL POST ,
>
> True stuff , their biased trials mean zip anyway , facts speak louder .
>
> Maybe they would like to get into a debate on chemotherapy , or maybe HRT
,
> or maybe how come so many thousands of people die each year in the screwed up health system .
>
> NAH , screw em I can't be bothered .

Yes, you have demonstrated that you cannot be bothered with intelligent disucssion and backing up
your blather with real proof.

Perhaps you would like to try an alternative parachute?

"Mark Probert-March 1, 2004" <Mark [email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...

> "Bew" <qw@nonamewhatsover> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > COOL POST ,
> >
> > True stuff , their biased trials mean zip anyway , facts speak louder .
> >
> > Maybe they would like to get into a debate on chemotherapy , or maybe
HRT
> ,
> > or maybe how come so many thousands of people die each year in the
screwed
> > up health system .
> >
> > NAH , screw em I can't be bothered .
>
> Yes, you have demonstrated that you cannot be bothered with intelligent disucssion and backing up
> your blather with real proof.

You bore me child .

> Perhaps you would like to try an alternative parachute?

---

Release Date: 19/02/2004

"Bew" <qw@nonamewhatsover> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mark Probert-March 1, 2004" <Mark [email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Bew" <qw@nonamewhatsover> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > COOL POST ,
> > >
> > > True stuff , their biased trials mean zip anyway , facts speak louder
.

> > > Maybe they would like to get into a debate on chemotherapy , or maybe
> HRT
> > ,
> > > or maybe how come so many thousands of people die each year in the
> screwed
> > > up health system .
> > >
> > > NAH , screw em I can't be bothered .
> >
> > Yes, you have demonstrated that you cannot be bothered with intelligent disucssion and backing
> > up your blather with real proof.
>
> You bore me child .

Sorry, but I suspect that I am a bit older than you.

> > Perhaps you would like to try an alternative parachute?

Why not try that? Just drop in sometime.

In article <[email protected]>, "Bew" <qw@nonamewhatsover>
wrote:

> "Mark Probert-March 1, 2004" <Mark [email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Bew" <qw@nonamewhatsover> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > COOL POST ,
> > >
> > > True stuff , their biased trials mean zip anyway , facts speak louder .
> > >
> > > Maybe they would like to get into a debate on chemotherapy , or maybe
> HRT
> > ,
> > > or maybe how come so many thousands of people die each year in the
> screwed
> > > up health system .
> > >
> > > NAH , screw em I can't be bothered .
> >
> > Yes, you have demonstrated that you cannot be bothered with intelligent disucssion and backing
> > up your blather with real proof.
>
> You bore me child .

That's nice, but it's still obvious that you can't produce any convincing evidence to support your
assertions regarding alt-med.

|"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you inconvenience me with questions?"