Meal replacement shakes

?

:-\)

Guest
OK

I am a 45 yr old Male Hispanic, live alone, take Glucophage 2x daily, overnight sugars about 110
mg/dl, see my endocrinologist every 3 months, suffer from sleep apnea (use cpap), work out at the
health club 5x per week, and I'm 40 lbs overweight.

I consume alcohol on weekends when I socialize and go out for dinner. Yes, I need to cut back there.

I hate to cook for myself.

Seriously thinking of trying the diet shake for two meals, and eating a sensible (salad, chicken or
fish) meal for either the mid day meal or last meal.

I've been to nutritionists before, who has time to sit and count calories, count carbs, blah, blah,
blah. When I'm at the table I want to eat, I don't want to count or weigh anything!!!

So I go on the diet shake 2x a day, what do I have to lose? Summers coming, I want to drop
weight now!!

Anyone try this? Any preferences on brand of diet shake mix?

-) wrote in message ...
>OK
>
>I am a 45 yr old Male Hispanic, live alone, take Glucophage 2x daily, overnight sugars about 110
>mg/dl, see my endocrinologist every 3 months, suffer from sleep apnea (use cpap), work out at the
>health club 5x per
week,
>and I'm 40 lbs overweight.
>. . .(snip). . .
>
>I hate to cook for myself.
>
>Seriously thinking of trying the diet shake for two meals, and eating a sensible (salad, chicken or
>fish) meal for either the mid day meal or last meal.
>. . .(snip). ..
>
>So I go on the diet shake 2x a day, what do I have to lose? Summers
coming,
>I want to drop weight now!!
>
>Anyone try this? Any preferences on brand of diet shake mix?

You go into this experiement with your eyes wide open, taking small steps, and looking for some
serious booby-traps.

Many/most (?) of those diet meals are decidedly not diabetic-friendly.

e.g. Slim-Fast: 54% by weight "sugars" , and a big hunk of those as fructose which is thought to do
some nasty things to cholesterol etc, an area which is already life-threatening to many Type 2
diabetics.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=12122&catid=49472&trx=29384&t ab=0#0

I have seen ads for Glucerna products which claim that the stuff is better suited for diabetics. Who
knows? They do have a lot of fructose in them and that's not recommended for diabetics.

http://www.pricetool.com/content_45667094148

The Glucerna snack bars don't excite me. . .palm oil (Shudder. . .why not just stick an ice pick in
your chest?) High fructose corn syrup,

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=77575&catid=49471&trx=29384&t ab=0#0

If you care to experiment, don't buy it by the case, the experiment may be a total failure.

Be alert for:

f. High blood sugars
g. Diarrhea
h. Increased LDL, triglycerides.

That means take a hard look at your blood sugars at one, two and perhaps three hours after the shake
to see what is going on. Talk to your doc about a look at your lipid panel. You might be able to get
a lab order and a look at the answers entirely by phone through one of your doc's nurses. Pay close
attention to LDL and triglycerides.

One opinion:

If I had to lose 40 lb, I would go Atkins. I have seen it work though I also regard it as
somewhat of an I.Q. test as well as a diet.

Regards
Old Al

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:48:01 GMT, ":-\)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>OK I am a 45 yr old Male Hispanic, live alone, take Glucophage 2x daily, overnight sugars about 110
>mg/dl, see my endocrinologist every 3 months, suffer from sleep apnea (use cpap), work out at the
>health club 5x per week, and I'm 40 lbs overweight.

40 lbs is a lot...........your condition would improve significantly if you can get it off.

>I consume alcohol on weekends when I socialize and go out for dinner. Yes, I need to cut
>back there.

My advice - from experience - is to cut the alcohol out completely. If you do so then you will see
the difference in weight loss. You might not think so but drinking every week end will add more
calories for you to try an loose. Try it. When your weight is reduced, then consider a few treats.
One other thing.......drinking alcohol will distent your gut and then you will feel the need to fill
it - with food. So stopping the booze will help your stomach shrink.

>I hate to cook for myself.

Me too!

>Seriously thinking of trying the diet shake for two meals, and eating a sensible (salad, chicken or
>fish) meal for either the mid day meal or last meal.

Last meal would be my preference.

>I've been to nutritionists before, who has time to sit and count calories, count carbs, blah, blah,
>blah. When I'm at the table I want to eat, I don't want to count or weigh anything!!!

That is how i look at it so the only other choice you have is to cut out certain food types
completely or reduce down to a trace and reduce volume.

>So I go on the diet shake 2x a day, what do I have to lose? Summers coming, I want to drop
>weight now!!

>Anyone try this? Any preferences on brand of diet shake mix?

IMHO I think it sounds like you need to develop a bit of self discipline. Never mind the summer -
you need to get that weight off. And searching for alternatives is not really the best way.

Pete

Diagnosed 20/03/03 Type II D&E + Metformin + Gliclazide
+ Asprin 210lbs at Dx to BMI 166lbs achieved. To mail: aspen at freeuk.com

":)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK
>
> I am a 45 yr old Male Hispanic, live alone, take Glucophage 2x daily, overnight sugars about 110
> mg/dl, see my endocrinologist every 3 months, suffer from sleep apnea (use cpap), work out at the
> health club 5x per
week,
> and I'm 40 lbs overweight.
>
> I consume alcohol on weekends when I socialize and go out for dinner.
Yes,
> I need to cut back there.
>
> I hate to cook for myself.
>
> Seriously thinking of trying the diet shake for two meals, and eating a sensible (salad, chicken
> or fish) meal for either the mid day meal or last meal.
>
> I've been to nutritionists before, who has time to sit and count calories, count carbs, blah,
> blah, blah. When I'm at the table I want to eat, I
don't
> want to count or weigh anything!!!
>
> So I go on the diet shake 2x a day, what do I have to lose? Summers
coming,
> I want to drop weight now!!
>
> Anyone try this? Any preferences on brand of diet shake mix?

It sounds like you are only testing your overnight sugars. Does this mean after you get up? What
about your BG at two hours after eating? That's the most important number. Try the shakes and see if
they work for you. If your BG is <140 at an hour after eating and <120 at two hours after eating,
then they are fine. But like the others said, they are loaded with sugar. And they are no guarantee
that you'll lose weight. I know plenty of people who tried the shakes and instead of losing weight,
they gained weight. Why? The shakes left them hungry. So they ate food on top of the shakes!

If you don't want to cook, you might take a look at some of the frozen dinners that are out there.
I've found a few of them that fit into my meal plan.

--
Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:48:01 GMT, ":-\)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I hate to cook for myself.

Why? It's not rocket science.

Not trying to be nasty here. With a blender, a bit of recipe googling (or asking here), and a trip
to the supermarket you could design your own perfectly balanced "diet-shake". Make it once a week in
bulk and freeze it in meal sizes.

It would cost heaps less and you'd know what was in it.

Personally, I can't give you a recipe because I prefer to cook a real meal. Like I said, it's not
rocket science.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

-) wrote:
> OK
>
> I am a 45 yr old Male Hispanic, live alone, take Glucophage 2x daily, overnight sugars about 110
> mg/dl, see my endocrinologist every 3 months, suffer from sleep apnea (use cpap), work out at the
> health club 5x per week, and I'm 40 lbs overweight.
>
> I consume alcohol on weekends when I socialize and go out for dinner. Yes, I need to cut
> back there.
>
> I hate to cook for myself.

Sounds like you are single <g>. I'm married, but my wife hates to cook, even TV dinners. However,
when she does cook, it's easy to eat small portions (if you know what I mean. <wink>)

I never had the need to cook until I was diagnosed T2, a few years ago. Unfortunately, by that time
I had some permanent cognitive deficits (e.g. short term memory, executive functions, etc.). The
bottom line was that I had become permanently learning disabled. So it was difficult to learn
anything new (no problem with the old stuff), like finding the ingredients in the pantry or
refrigerator (especially if they got moved or something is put in front of them).

> Seriously thinking of trying the diet shake for two meals, and eating a sensible (salad, chicken
> or fish) meal for either the mid day meal or last meal.

I've often considered the 'old' Slim-Fast (they seem to have some 'new' lo carb products now) for
one meal a day, because my internist (specialty nutrition) indicated that, for me, Slim-Fast was so
nutritious, that the carb count was secondary.... FOR ME. Don't know about you. You'd have to see my
doctor <LOL>.

(I posted this a couple years ago and was told I should get a new doctor, that he didn't know what
he was talking about, etc. etc. etc. so, be prepared to consider the tradeoff, good nutrition or low
carbs. I am unable to indicate anything about this other than my doctor is diplomated in nutrition
and I trust him.)

> I've been to nutritionists before, who has time to sit and count calories, count carbs, blah,
> blah, blah. When I'm at the table I want to eat, I don't want to count or weigh anything!!!

You are not alone.

> So I go on the diet shake 2x a day, what do I have to lose?

Seems that you could answer your question yourself, by eating what and how much you want and testing
your two-hour post-prandial bgs.

HTH. I am far from being a diabetes expert. AAMOF, I am quite ignorant, but I AM smart, just
ask..... me.

HTH

> Summers coming, I want to drop weight now!!
>
> Anyone try this? Any preferences on brand of diet shake mix?

[email protected]:

> "oldal4865" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:c228k7$> The Glucerna snack bars don't excite me. .
> .palm oil (Shudder. . .why not
>> just stick an ice pick in your chest?)
>
> http://xix.cx/netclips/conspiracy/oiling.htm

Thanks for the link to this long article critical of the
lipid hypothesis. Long, but a very important read. The
article focuses on types of fats in the diet, the long
misusue of statistics to promote lowering of cholesterol,
and the harm that has comes from this standard doctrine of
the lipid hypothesis. It doesn't mention the harm that may
be coming from the enormous use of lipid lowering drugs, the
statins. I am convinced that the reports of cognitive
deficit arising from the use of statins have some truth. It
may be due to the statins inhibiting cholesterol use in the
brain. The lipid hypothesis error, therefore, may have
deleterious effects both on cardiac health and cognitive
abilities.

--
Dennis Roark

[email protected] Starting Points:
http://sio.midco.net/denro/www

"Dennis Roark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [email protected]:
>

> > "oldal4865" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:c228k7$> The Glucerna snack bars don't excite me. .
> > .palm oil (Shudder. . .why not
> >> just stick an ice pick in your chest?)
> >
> > http://xix.cx/netclips/conspiracy/oiling.htm
> >

> Thanks for the link to this long article critical of the
> lipid hypothesis. Long, but a very important read. The
> article focuses on types of fats in the diet, the long
> misusue of statistics to promote lowering of cholesterol,
> and the harm that has comes from this standard doctrine of
> the lipid hypothesis. It doesn't mention the harm that may
> be coming from the enormous use of lipid lowering drugs,
> the statins. I am convinced that the reports of cognitive
> deficit arising from the use of statins have some truth.
> It may be due to the statins inhibiting cholesterol use in
> the brain. The lipid hypothesis error, therefore, may have
> deleterious effects both on cardiac health and cognitive
> abilities.
>
> --
> Dennis Roark

Hi there Dennis,

Like yourself, I am somewhat uncertain about the current
focus on cholesterol and fat/oil intake, and associated
medications.

A certain level of cholesterol is necessary for a healthy
body. It is so important that if one cuts one's intake of
dietary cholesterol sources, the body will manufacture it's
own, to keep the level stable. That fact is one of the
frustrations facing those who believe their cholesterol
levels are too high. It can be darn hard to reduce it to
what is currently considered a healthy level. Hence the
development of the statin class of drugs.

Cholesterol is involved in many of the body's processes,
including the formation of new brain tissue, and another
interesting function is it's involvement in the production
of Vit D in the skin of those exposed to sufficient
sunlight. Vit D is essential for many bodily functions, and
it's lack can predispose people to a varity of deficiency
disorders, some of which are very subtle, or showing up
many years later, like osteoporosis or other bone
deficiencies in the elderly. There is even recent research
that indicates low Vit D levels may be involved in the
development of diabetes.

Current medical opinion seems to be that high cholesterol
levels per se are associated with atheriosclerosis and the
subsequent blockage of both large and small blood vessels,
leading to fatal heart attacks, the major cause of death in
developed countries.

Yet I still have a sneaking suspicion that the whole thing
is a lot more complex than such a simple approach. There is
the actual profile of the lipids that constitute that "total
cholesterol", and the part that elevated triglycerides may
play. Trigs are notoriously difficult to lower using the low
fat, take statins approach, and yet "strangely" seem to
respond to carbohydrate intake or some of the oils.

Some oils seem to be benificial, while others appear to do
damage. There's trans-fats, which have been shown to be
really "bad" guys. (Except for the ones found naturally in
milk fats, which our bodies handle very nicely, thank you!)

Then there's palm oil, which see the original comment
"(Shudder. . .why not just stick an ice pick in your
chest?)" It is often confused with coconut oil and palm
kernel oil, but it's constituent oils are quite different.

For some simple info about palm oil, see;

http://www.mpopc.org.my/abtenbopo2.htm

or a more official and technical article see;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&-
db=PubMed&list_uids=11975364&dopt=Abstract

It looks like it is as good, at least, as olive oil, and may
even be a little better! It actually improved the health of
arteries! It is rather a nice thing if one can addtionally
obtain the cold, virgin oil, for more neat benefits.

This post is already too long, but if you'd like to read
more about some other oils with a bad rap, see this one on
coconut oil, at;

http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/coconut_oil.html

Have fun,

Annette