How long is a "kick"?

>400m?

How long is the race?

>What's a kick?

I think its a slang term for a 1000 meters, you know, a 10K could be referred to as a ten kicks.

About 8 miles in a marathon, where after mile 18 or so, you feel like someone's kicking you with
every stride.

And for all those running the L.A. marathon (including my wife) this weekend, enjoy it and run safe.
Looks like the heat is gonna make for one kickin' experience.

--
eNo "Why am I here?"

In article <yS%[email protected]>, eNo wrote:
> About 8 miles in a marathon, where after mile 18 or so, you feel like someone's kicking you with
> every stride.
>
> And for all those running the L.A. marathon (including my wife) this weekend, enjoy it and run
> safe. Looks like the heat is gonna make for one kickin' experience.

It may pay to do some research and check prior data about the effect of heat on times, so she can
adjust pacing from the start (instead of being forced to adjust it at mile 20). My impression from
reviewing times for hot races is that not only it affects time, but a major part of the effect is
that most people (even elites) don't take heat into account (or, don't adjust enough) and start too
quickly, leading to a crash at the end.

I mean, some of you might have laughed at Globaldiscs 1:32/1:47 marathon splits, but note that the
first American across the line wasn't much more even than that (1:05/1:13)

Cheers,

In article <yS%[email protected]>, eNo wrote:
> About 8 miles in a marathon, where after mile 18 or so, you feel like someone's kicking you with
> every stride.
>
> And for all those running the L.A. marathon (including my wife) this weekend, enjoy it and run
> safe. Looks like the heat is gonna make for one kickin' experience.

Pay careful attention to the heat -- in particular, take a look at how heat has influenced past
results. Some may have laughed at Globals lopsided
1:32/1:47 NY marathon splits, but note that the first American across the line was almost as
uneven (1:05/1:13) Too many people don't pay the heat its due -- not until the last 6 miles
anyway, and by that stage, the heat is coming not just for its dues but also for its pound
of flesh ...

Cheers,

That would be a "klick". It is a term often used in the
military to make clear the unit of measure.

I have no specific definition for a "kick", I usually say a
person kicked when there is a pack nearing the finish line
and one (or more) runner accelerates to win. To me there is
no such thing as a kick in a race shorter than 800m.

"Jtiche" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040304150348.06496.00000746@mb-
m25.aol.com...
> >What's a kick?
>
> I think its a slang term for a 1000 meters, you know, a
> 10K could be
referred

On 07 Mar 2004 22:25:29 GMT, [email protected] (Jtiche) wrote:

>>That would be a "klick". It is a term often used in the
>>military to make clear the unit of measure.
>
>Could be, the guy who told me what a kick was just happened
>to be a midget with

<story snipped>

Don't be too hard on Sam. I momentarily thought you were
being serious and nearly fired off a 100-line post on the
derivation of the term 'klick'.